2-stroke primary drive lubrication

GoldenMotor.com

Ode

Jan 9, 2009
Chicago
I've spent more time than I ever thought I would trying to find out anything about open gear grease and I'm still coming up short. The environment is hot, with lots of action...so what brand and type of grease is the best? What about Lubriplate Gear Shield Open Gear Grease?...Red Devil grease?...Nitrolube Nitro Red?...garden-variety White Lithium Grease?...high-temp wheel bearing grease?...
So far I've found nothing specific to these Chinese, 2-stroke motors other than "general-purpose" grease, which is what I applied at the start. 3 weeks later, after daily commuter use, the gears are bone dry, with all of the lubricant thrown off. Obviously, "general-purpose" doesn't cut it. Any thoughts?...

MrLarkins

HS Math Teacher
Jun 17, 2008
Arkansas
hmm, i use high temp bearing grease for inside the clutch pin/ball and chain wax lubricant (that some is FLING resistant. oh, and then engine lubricates itself with the gas/oil mixture. AMSOIL Dominator is pretty good. I think Pablo sells AMSOIL

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
You shouldn't spend too much time worrying about those gears. they seem to last even if you never grease them.
If you're still concerned, add a tiny bit of high temp grease every two months.
I will say that you DO need to put a little grease in the tiny bearings that are in the large drive gear!
Be careful to only use a tiny dab... or it will sling out onto the clutch surface!

Norco John

May 26, 2009
Brookston, IN
A little dab of Moly grease on the gears is all I use. Too much and it'll get onto the friction surfaces of the clutch. I check and re-apply (scrape it off the inside of the housing and put it back on the gears) about every 100 miles.

Junster

Jun 2, 2009
Washington St.
I use Moly-Graphite grease. I would clean the inside of the cover and put fresh grease on when it got noisy again. After 5-6 applications I think the graphite has impregnated the gears pretty well I haven't done it in about a month and a half and they are still pretty quiet. I average about a 100 miles a week, have over 1000 miles on the bike.

userix

Jan 29, 2011
LA
Sorry for raising the dead, but is white lithium grease suitable for use on the motor gears?

DaveC

Jul 14, 2010
Boise, ID
It's a little thin, I use a red suspension grease, the kind ment for lubing chassis.

The guy who reported less noise as he goes along experienced the lapping in of the gears. For a car or truck gearsets are bolted into machines that run a slight abrasive over the gears to grind off imperfections in the mating surfaces. The Chinese just let things lap naturally as noisy as it is.

I'll be trying to smooth the gears out and coat them with a Dry Film Lube so that the gears are quieter from the start. That will have to wait for the new motor :)