help centrifugal clutch

GoldenMotor.com

lordoflightaz

Jan 23, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
Wasn't connected to anything. The picture of the clutch bell is as it came off the motor. The spring was not connected to anything. It might have been shoved into the hole on the lower right, in the pictured, where the bell is welded.

lordoflightaz

Jan 23, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
I hooked it up to nothing and it worked like expected, but that was just to see what was going on. I did go back and hook it up, but I need a break before I take it out and test run it. I got tired. I think a trip to the bar tonight, a cocktail and a ride back should tell me all is well. Beside the current temp is 36 C a bit warm.

I tend to find that things don't work on my way home rather than as I leave the house. Since it is 1/2 mile away it is no big deal, especially since I got the new crank arms, it is just like riding a bike.

lordoflightaz

Jan 23, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
Just walked in the door a couple minutes ago. Bike fired right up. I am hoping we fixed the problem. I am tempted to take it apart tomorrow and snap a pic of what it looks like fixed.

I managed 2 "crown and sodas" while thinking about the next thing for the bike, 4 litres of fuel that looks good and a place to store tools, too. That's what I get for staring out the window at my bike. There were no women at the bar.

I truly appreciate all the help. I also hope that someone else with the problem sees this thread. I learned a lot from it.

POPS

Sep 8, 2008
Vancouver Island BC .Canada
Just walked in the door a couple minutes ago. Bike fired right up. I am hoping we fixed the problem. I am tempted to take it apart tomorrow and snap a pic of what it looks like fixed.

I managed 2 "crown and sodas" while thinking about the next thing for the bike, 4 litres of fuel that looks good and a place to store tools, too. That's what I get for staring out the window at my bike. There were no women at the bar.

I truly appreciate all the help. I also hope that someone else with the problem sees this thread. I learned a lot from it.
Lordo
Thank-you very much for the compliment. The only reason I know so much about the C/clutch is I wanted to make mine free-wheel both ways, to eliminate the clutch lever off the handle bars.

Because, gas bikes are so illegal here, I am building two mountain climbers for Mumzie and Me and C/clutch is the only way to go.

If your clutch gives you problems again, I would take the spring out and pre-load the Brg. race to the right and tack weld it, in two spots.

Let me know tomorrow and do take some pictures of it re-assembled. As, I am not that computer savvy yet, or I would have posted pics.

If some of the MODS want to pick up on this thread (or someone ) to turn it into a sticky, go for it.....POPS

lordoflightaz

Jan 23, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
I will probably copy the thread and put it on my sites, if nothing else. since I have documented building my toys. If I tear off the cover and take the pics I will post them here.

POPS

Sep 8, 2008
One last add to this thread.
An easy way to make it freewheel both
ways is to remove the spring and put
A 180 degree twist on the end that hooks
into 1 of the 5 holes in the bell and reverse
the spring so it preloads to the left...POPS

Last edited:

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Thank you Pops for the tutorial. I just installed a c clutch, dual start HT motor yesterday and it is working great. I had no information on it, however, and was curious how it worked. Many thanks for sharing that. I will keep it as a reference.
Silverbear

POPS

Sep 8, 2008
Bump to help a guy out with his clutch.

P.S. Sticky grease to hold the rollers in
place to reassemble the clutch.

Do NOT grind. It will go back together
when you have it lined up right.

Rick

Mozenrath

Jan 13, 2011
California
Thanks for the bump, POPS! I'll read through this, and I'm going to give it some more tries. I think I have an idea of how it's going to go back together.