Gear Box? Jackshaft?

GoldenMotor.com
Aug 26, 2015
Overgaard AZ
Ideally, I'd like to hook my ChinaGirl to some kind of transmission, one with input and out put, both on the left hand side of the bike. I would like to leave the pedal drive side alone. A ChinaGirl compatible CVT would work too.

As I believe I'm asking a bit much there, so...

Anyone using the Dax shift kit? Is it equal to the SBP kit? Through extensive digging on this forum, I found little. I'd like to stick with Dax, but if I'm going to drop the money, I'd like the best.

There was some question as to weather or not the Dax unit was "HD", like the one available from SBP. If you are using a jack shaft kit, are you shifting via IGH or derailur? Which is the more reliable?

I'm really only looking for two speeds, one just about direct drive from the engine, and an underdrive for the steeper hills. I think a CVT would work ok for this, but I've yet to source one for ChinaGirls. A self contained unit appeals to me over a jackshaft kit, because I'd like to keep the engine ans pedal system segregated. If I have an issue, I just pop the master link, put the chain over my shoulders and pedal...

MotoMagz

Aug 2, 2010
Michigan
Ideally, I'd like to hook my ChinaGirl to some kind of transmission, one with input and out put, both on the left hand side of the bike. I would like to leave the pedal drive side alone. A ChinaGirl compatible CVT would work too.

As I believe I'm asking a bit much there, so...

Anyone using the Dax shift kit? Is it equal to the SBP kit? Through extensive digging on this forum, I found little. I'd like to stick with Dax, but if I'm going to drop the money, I'd like the best.

There was some question as to weather or not the Dax unit was "HD", like the one available from SBP. If you are using a jack shaft kit, are you shifting via IGH or derailur? Which is the more reliable?

I'm really only looking for two speeds, one just about direct drive from the engine, and an underdrive for the steeper hills. I think a CVT would work ok for this, but I've yet to source one for ChinaGirls. A self contained unit appeals to me over a jackshaft kit, because I'd like to keep the engine ans pedal system segregated. If I have an issue, I just pop the master link, put the chain over my shoulders and pedal...
Yep go with Sbp and they will also be there to help if you need it. You can still pedal with the Sbp shift kit so it would still do what you want. You won't even know it's hooked up to engine with the freewheel set up. A derailleur will take a beating. Igh will hold up but not as well as a derailleur.

Aug 26, 2015
Overgaard AZ
I'd l to avoid the SBP style, if I can, my goal being to keep engine and pedal drives separated, as I'm not exactly keen on a front freewheel. I'm sure they work just fine, but if one were to fail in such a way as to "lock up" it could mean a broken bone or two... A possibility I'd like to avoid, however remote.

Is there a CVT available for the ChinaGirl, or one easily adaptable? Ideally I'd like a two speed gearbox, with the high gear basically direct drive, and an underdrive around 25% or so. A third overdrive gear would be nice for long stretches.
Does anyone know of a two speed tranny with input and output shafts on the same side? I don't even need to shift on the fly, if I've got to stop and flip a lever or whatnot, that's fine by me.

A shift kit from SBP is more or less a last resort, as I feel it's not an ideal solution for me, I see a lot of finicky adjustment awaiting me should I go that route. And of course there's my concerns with parts quality and strength. Bicycle chain is much smaller than motor kit chain, and I've snapped a few pedal chains, the average person pedals at about 0.2hp, the ChinaGirl has a nominal hp considered to be between 1.5-3.0hp. We'll call it 2hp, as that number is arbitrarily applied most often. 2>0.2 Motor chain > bike chain, chain = steel, steel > skin. Y'all can follow my algebra I'm sure. All that being said, I know lots of you good folks are using shift kits, and I'm sure most if not all have unbranded right calves. Its just my preference to go a different route, I like he two drive systems being separate, much of that concept speaks to me, I'd like it to stay that way.

Wild Bill

Jan 29, 2013
Camarillo So. Cal.
I run an SBP shift kit with a KTM 50 (Claimed 9hp) And the freewheels hold up to that power no problem. But there is a fair amount of maintenance in the rear derailleur as far as adjusting, shift cable lubing and chain lubing. Its on a race bike and I even shift sometimes under full throttle in the heat of battle. I have found little tricks that make the system reliable and I have eliminated the weak points (They were only weak points in my case since its being used on a high output engine in racing conditions).

Under more normal conditions with a china girl engine the SBP kits are reliable and work great. Even in my case it has been reliable with some minor changes made.

Aug 26, 2015
Overgaard AZ
Thank you wild bill, good to hear the quality is there.

Beginner01 thanks for reminding me of that! Can you link your build/tranny? I believe SilverBear did the same, possibly fasteddy too. Ill poke around and see what I can turn up. I like this idea the best so far, of what's available of course.

What about tricycle transmissions? Anyone using one of those?