48cc beach cruiser won't start problems

GoldenMotor.com

sergio reyes

Mar 1, 2016
Rohnert park ca
Hello my name is sergio and I became a new member today, im hoping I could get some help to fix my motorized nel lusso beach cruiser.
I recently bought this bike for very cheat, I new it needed some work to be done on it, here are some of the work I have done to it and parts I have replaced..
First off all, to my nawlege i have a 48cc motor on my beach cruiser. I have a picture below.
The first thing I did was take it almost all apart and cleaned the piston then assembled the cylinder head and torqued it at 5lb.
Then i replaced the clutch pads with some i bought on ebay and cleaned the slots they go in with brake cleaner befor placing new ones in.
Then I cleaned the carborator, took it all apart and cleaned it good with carborator cleaner and brake cleaner, after letting it air dry I replaced the stock air filter with a performance aftermarket filter I bought on ebay And put it back on the engine.
when I bought the bike the c-clip on the slide needle was on the second to to the lowest slot closest to the needle end(richer end), so I move it up to the second to last slot closest to the top flat side(leaner end) because my gas mix is on the lean side.
So after I assembled the slide needle with the slide and placed it inside the carb, screwed cap,
when I went to move the throttle to see how it felt when twisting the trottle like if I was reving the engine when on.. it felt different, it felt like it had less tention and felt like all the tention was at the end when twisting it all the way back. There is no tention at first until you twist it till the very end and feelings like your pulling the spring but not the whole time your twisting the trottle just at the verry end. sorry if its confusing to get what I'm saying but I also notice that after twisting throttle all the way back, the throttle doesnt spring back? It stays mid way and I have to twist the trottle back. there's no tention on the trottle and doesn't spring back All the way like it use to when I first bought the bike. This happend after I reassembled the carb and slide needle.
I'm thinking the reason why it's not staring it because somthing is wrong with my throttle? I don't know what I did to the throttle that Caused it to feel differently and not spring back like it use to.
can anyone tell me what possibly could be wrong??
I checked for compression and spark, and they both seem fine, I have compression and spark.. but still won't start and trottle is different or loose and doesn't pring fully back.
please help zpt

Last edited:

jMrL

Feb 25, 2016
Norfolk
did you tighten the throttle cable from the carb and the throttle itself ? does the spring seem like a tight fit when u screw on the the top to the carb? if not try to stretch it a bit? Hope you figure it out. Im not that experinced with these things but I just put my two cents in

Agreen

Feb 10, 2013
Southeastern GA
Take the 2 Phillips screws out of the twist grip and make sure everything is assembled properly inside the grip. I had one that the cable slipped internally when I was taking the carb apart, and the cable came off the track.

Still though, it should still start and possibly idle. You may have goobered something inside the carb. If you have spark and compression, take some pics of how you have the carb assembled.

I'd also upload the pics to a photo sharing website like photobucket and copy the links, then paste them here.

sergio reyes

Mar 1, 2016
Rohnert park ca
did you tighten the throttle cable from the carb and the throttle itself ? does the spring seem like a tight fit when u screw on the the top to the carb? if not try to stretch it a bit? Hope you figure it out. Im not that experinced with these things but I just put my two cents in
Yea I tightend both sides off cable and still nothing. Yes it does feel a bit tight when screwing in cap on carb, I have to put a little force when screwing in the the cap to push down the spring, that does seem different too, it never stood out so far and I didn't have to push it in as much like I do now. I'm trying to upload pictures

ZipTie

Jan 8, 2016
Mpls Mn
Thank you that fixed my clutch problem!! Now I'm going to test drive it maybe it will start. I had the slide in the carb wrong and now it's back to normal. But would just that make my bike not start and leak a full tank of gas??
You probably had the slide tube in backwards so the slot was not lined u with the micro pin and was binding. If that happens the bike just wont start as it will be stuck in a wide open position and just flooding the carb. Make sure the pac man clip is also in correct position and not sideways or binding if you have problems starting it. also some bikes do not need to be choked. Sounds like you fixed the problem. Those carbs are easy but kind of tricky to reassemble.
let us know if you get it running smooth.

Chaz

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver, British Columbia
Try gapping the plug down to 22

And check the torque on the head. I think you said 5 pounds but have a look through the threads for the right torque, sorry, I don't remember what it is.

If you still have the stock acorn nuts on the head, then cut the tops off and re-torque. The stock nuts can top out inside and give you false reading on the wrench.

good luck

Agreen

Feb 10, 2013
Southeastern GA
120 to 140 in-lbs is the proper cylinder head torque. That's 10 to 12 ft-lbs. You have it torqued about half as tight.

You may need to pull the head and lap it if there is black goo leaking out where it bolts to the cylinder.

sergio reyes

Mar 1, 2016
Rohnert park ca
You probably had the slide tube in backwards so the slot was not lined u with the micro pin and was binding. If that happens the bike just wont start as it will be stuck in a wide open position and just flooding the carb. Make sure the pac man clip is also in correct position and not sideways or binding if you have problems starting it. also some bikes do not need to be choked. Sounds like you fixed the problem. Those carbs are easy but kind of tricky to reassemble.
let us know if you get it running smooth.
Yea I fixed the throttle problem but it still doesn't start. I bought a new spark plug and I'm going to attempt to start it in a bit. But in thing I just noticed after taking good looks at the engine there seems to be a gap or two where the metal gasket is?? is that normal or would that make my bike now start?? I torqued it at 5lb after cleaning piston. I have pics I am uploading.
Thanks for the replies.

sergio reyes

Mar 1, 2016
Rohnert park ca
Well I read some threads that said 5ft-pounds and or 60 in-pounds but if I have it a little less tight like I do now.. will that cause the bike not to start?
Also I don't have and tools to cut the nuts that go on the head but can I add some spacers befor screwing the nuts? And could possibly get a better grip

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
Well I read some threads that said 5ft-pounds and or 60 in-pounds but if I have it a little less tight like I do now.. will that cause the bike not to start?
Also I don't have and tools to cut the nuts that go on the head but can I add some spacers befor screwing the nuts? And could possibly get a better grip
If you don't replace the nuts add flat washers to keep the stud from bottoming out in the cap of the nut. Always tighten head bolts in a x pattern a little at a time, rotating through the pattern several times till you get to the desired torque. You may want to lap the head on sandpaper on a flat piece of glass to insure flatness. Looking at the pictures I see something white protruding from the gasket, if the gasket Is damaged in any way replace it.

Last edited:

sergio reyes

Mar 1, 2016
Rohnert park ca
Now the carb seems to be the problem. .. I added some gas and im sure it's the carb thats not letting gas go in the carb or flow down at all. When I unplug the hoes from the tank it poors out but when I conect the hoes to the carb it doesn't flow smoothly, it goes down little by little it seems. I have a pic below and I have not test dricon it with the new spark plug because the gas flow seems different? ?

http://rs1178.pbsrc.com/albums/x362/sergio142/Mobile Uploads/20160302_164309.jpg~c200

Chaz

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver, British Columbia
Sergio, good photos. Looks like there is a gap at the head gasket. Torque to 10 -12 foot pounds as per Agreens post to see if that eliminates the gap.

The fuel will flow slower as you observed but that's because it's a closed system. When you disconnect the fuel line from the carb then it's just an open flow direct from the tank. The fuel flow can be checked by opening up the little screw at the bottom of the carb bowl. You can open that and watch the fuel come out. I would try to start it first because I don't like the gas needing to be cleaned up.