The Evolution of Olivia - My 7 speed China Girl

GoldenMotor.com

VariousVices

Dec 2, 2015
City of Night
Ok so Olivia is an old beat down cruiser I got in a 2 bike deal off craigslist. A single speed schwinninsh complete with warped 26" wheels and 19" apes and a very sloppy front end. I did some basic repairs and cleaned her up and rode her all around Hollywood. Quickly it had become my favorite bike. It fit me so much better than an OCC. So I started small, bigger bars and four bolt stem for 24" apes. I took comet to the springer front end and it polished up like new. The mandatory RedBull holder up front. I hated the single speed so I robbed one of my Kent Siesta Keys of its 7 speed drivetrain and rear rim brake. After spreading open the rear dropouts about a half inch, Installing longer shift and brake cables, swapping the rear wheel, hanging and dialing in the derailluer and swapping out the single speed crank sprocket, I finally had a comfy cruiser I easily ride around the Hollywood hills - except for the 1" of ground clearance. I am always scraping my pedals, I need shorter cranks or a new fork. I also got a cheesy generator and light kit that worked for a day before quitting on me.....Nickel products suck. Hope it's just the bulb. I'm gathering the parts now to add a front disc brake to a springer fork. Now that I've got a decent platform to build on the real fun begins. I already have a Grubee kit that was installed on my first OCC Stingray. I need to replace the internal cdi and get or make an exhaust....oh and get the shift kit. Gears rule. best shift kit? Anyone tried the one from ThatsDax? For the price it looks tempting compared to the SBP one. The exhaust I'm kinda stuck on that one...I want an expansion chamber, just not an expensive, ugly leg burner - plus I've not had any luck with a single off the self exhaust fitting a build without modification, and I can buy a cheap HF welder for the cost of one exhaust....decisions, decisions. That should do it for the big items. So I'll leave with my before pic, just a mock up not long after I got her. Should be fun when I'm done.

Attachments

VariousVices

Dec 2, 2015
City of Night
Just a few pics of her cleaned up. Researching shifter kits and I'm prolly gonna get the SBP one. I have a single piece crank and from what I gather I'll need a conversion kit for the bottom bracket so I can mount the new crank sprocket and freewheel. More parts to buy, but she should be perfect when I'm done. I spent too much time adding gears not to use them. Getting the parts for the front brakes sorted out too.....might regret this bent springer but whatever, it needs to stop. Has anyone corrected the rake and trail on one? Are the straight springers any better? Might swap for one of those. I love this bike but it is a bit sketchy at high speed, I need to adjust the back hub and see if it helps, it has a bit of play in it.....

Attachments