stripped Allen set screw

GoldenMotor.com

Hoopermotorbikes

Aug 24, 2013
ojai ca
Hello every one. I'am have a bit of trouble removing a set screw that is stuck
on the drive pulley on the motor. I do not need the pulley I don't care if it is damaged on the way out do you guys have any suggestion on to remove it ?

:-||

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
http://www.amazon.com/Lisle-62900-Extractor-Set/dp/B0002NYBIM

Superout I've used and found them better than Easyouts. You might use an Easyout, but if I had the choice I'd use the Superout. Someone else might have had this happen, guess I replaced them often as I know they can strip as well as other fasteners. I always check best fit with both metric and standard before trying to tighten or loosen those set screws.

Hope that helps.

Some more:

http://www.amazon.com/Irwin-Industrial-53227-Multi-Spline-Extractor/dp/B0002SRG66

There are these also that are in a big kit, but have smaller sizes if needed. They really look just like Easyouts but are made by Irwin.

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/general/tricks-breaking-loose-pulley-set-screws-161614/

Also saw this with Torqs, but I guess the Superout is really made for this as a Torqs may not be as strong or sharp. It is not the intended use as a remover so I am not sure of how they work in this case.

Slicing the whole thing with an angle grind would do it, but be careful of the shaft it is one you want to keep intact. Also no flammables around when doing so with safety equipment on, please.

Last edited:

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
If you can get a straight shot at it, just drill it out. Choose a drill bit nearly the same diameter as the set screw. The hole in the center where the Allen wrench goes will act to self center the drill bit. With enough material removed you should be able to rotate the pully and get it off.

Keep in mind that most set screws are grade 8 so you'll need a good drill bit. Even if you drill all the way through the set screw and slightly dimple the shaft it won't hurt. The dimple will give a place for the new set screw to 'dig in'. You can measure the thickness of the pully and set screw and mark your drill bit with tape if you're concerned with drilling too deep.

Just take your time, go slow and you should be able to drill the damaged set screw out.

Tom

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
Very simple as 2doors says. I guess this is like cutting it out by surgery. Some of the set screws have a sort of rounded point end. This might aid in allowing to drill just to the point that the threads are gone, as the rounded tip has no threads and then remove the pulley without damaging the shaft. If you have a Dremel and use a grinder tip it might do better than a drill bit. Some tips have a very hard coating, diamond or special carbide hardening substance. Check the speed of the Dremel as there is optimum speed for metal grinding, it is spec listed and can be found on the product or their website.

Last edited:

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
If you can get a straight shot at it, just drill it out. Choose a drill bit nearly the same diameter as the set screw. The hole in the center where the Allen wrench goes will act to self center the drill bit. With enough material removed you should be able to rotate the pully and get it off.

Keep in mind that most set screws are grade 8 so you'll need a good drill bit. Even if you drill all the way through the set screw and slightly dimple the shaft it won't hurt. The dimple will give a place for the new set screw to 'dig in'. You can measure the thickness of the pully and set screw and mark your drill bit with tape if you're concerned with drilling too deep.

Just take your time, go slow and you should be able to drill the damaged set screw out.

Tom

^^What he said. Nothing required but a drill bit and no damage or re-threading after.
Simply drill it out and pick the remaining thin bit out with a booger hook or pinpunch or just pull off with a puller. and discard if not re-using pully.

Hoopermotorbikes

Aug 24, 2013
ojai ca
I don't think it will hurt the shaft to drill it out. My reasoning is that I think it will just hit the keyway.
I got this motor for free. The st screw is o. Top the key way

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
I don't think it will hurt the shaft to drill it out. My reasoning is that I think it will just hit the keyway.
I got this motor for free. The st screw is o. Top the key way
There should be a key in the keyway that you can see or is
there just a flat on the shaft.

Is the set screw an allen head or slotted?

What kind of motor is it?

Don't break the drill bit off. :)

Last edited:

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
Well its a briggs 2hp with a key way not a flat spot

When's the next race Neil
Only 12 days to the Sat May 30th Willow Springs race.

There is a May 30th Race thread in the Events forum down there
where not too many people read. ;)

We are practicing on the track on Fri May 29th.

My point was that if there is a key the drill bit will hit and not the shaft.
Did you get the pulley removed?

YesImLDS

Jun 29, 2013
Columbia, Missouri
Also some thing that I don't believe was mentioned was welding something to it if it's big enough. Had to remove a few studs on a china girl that way. If you can get a good weld on it that you can grab with some vice grips or something that would work in a pinch.