gasket material

GoldenMotor.com

woogie_man

Aug 9, 2013
Fargo, ND
Well guess I can't use the senior moment excuse yet, not quite old enough yet. But I had one none the less.....Just rebuilt my carb, as I was getting a leak around the float bowl. Used some of this sealant and everything was fine. That
Test road it a few times, and everything seemed great...

Well was out riding, just a few minutes ago only to have the bike for on me about two miles from the house. Well my legs are burning, but I figured out what was going on....opened up the float bowl to find my sealer was all over inside the bowl, and up inside my jet. No gas flow no motor running.

So cleaned all that up, and used a gasket material that is GAS SAFE. Hmm maybe I should have looked at that before I bought and used the product.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Most gasket sealers, especially the silicone based ones will say on the tube, "Not to be used in contact with gasoline".

This is a common mistake, Woogie. Don't feel bad. There are sealants made for the purpose but many aren't. SealAll is one. It is a sealer/adhesive and will sort of 'glue' things together but the seal is easily broken with a little pressure. There are others.

Actually the carburetor bowl should have a gasket. That's better than relying on any liquid/ semi-liquid sealer because of the very problem you had. A little time and work with an Exacto blade and you can make a gasket from gasket material available at any auto parts store.

Tom

woogie_man

Aug 9, 2013
Fargo, ND
I still have the gasket, it was bulging and not selling correctly. So I used the sealant, the red type, and it held the gallery in place while giving more selling help. Removed all of that, and used the correct sealant, the black type.

I did look on the packaging, but didn't notice the "not for gas" notice on it. Oh well lesson learned I guess...lol