Red Leader [Completed]

GoldenMotor.com

minyfly

Mar 27, 2013
Mid Michigan
First off I'd like to thank everyone who has posted on this forum! I've been lurking for a while now and it has been a great source of information for this whole build. I had a few goals for this project. To save money on gas over the summer, learn about bike repair and 2 stoke engines. It has been a success. It took 2 summers but I have a completed bike that I'm confident in. I'm sure Ill never stop adding to it though but I'm sure none of you know whats thats like ; )

View the album here: http://imgur.com/a/Pii4o

About the build:
Frame
I started with a Huffy standard cruiser that I found on craigslist for $60. Took apart the whole bike and regreased the whole thing with automotive grease. That was the first time I'd ever taken a bike down to its bare frame. That was fun! When everything was apart and sanded I had a chain tensioner plate welded on at work. Really happy with it so far. Looking to get a skateboard wheel roller replacement.

Wheels
Took the wheels to the bike shop and got them trued. The tires I really like. Nice street tread and 2.125" wide. I found them online for $56 for the pair.

The handle bars were $15 from amazon just a standard mtb bar.
I got the throttle from sickbikeparts.com I really like it, it gives great throttle response. I do with the sleeve wasn't plastic though.

Drive
I bought new socket head cap screws for the engine. I also re-taped the engine mounts for 5/16-18. I cleaned the engine and painted it black with high temp grill paint and painted all the covers red with engine enamel.
Had problems with my last carb so I bought the NT Speed carb. So far I really like it! Also bought a new air filter from sbp.

The engine is mounted on a custom plate I made up and had welded at work. It positioned on a slot and allowed me to offset to the left slightly since I had some chain rubbing problems. I mounted the engine on some rubber pads to absorb the vibration. Very excited with how it came out.

Wishlist
What do you guys think it needs? Here's what's on my list.
Layback seatpost
Long exhaust, maybe expansion chamber
Custom gas tank
Speedometer, headlight

Would love to know all opinions and comments. Let me know if you'd like more pictures of anything. Thanks again for all the support I got from this website.

Last edited:

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
You've done good. Your bike appears to be built well and you should have a lot of fun with it. Congratulations on completing it.
Looks like you've addressed the chain tensioner issue properly too.

My only concern is the rubber in your engine mounts. I can't tell how you used it but we generally try to keep folks from trying that. You can't eliminate engine vibrations but the rubber will only transmit them to other areas, typically the engine mount fasteners. Keep a close eye on them if you choose to retain the rubber. Or remove it completely and mount the engine solid to the frame.

Otherwise, hats of to you, sir. Have fun and ride safe.

Tom

minyfly

Mar 27, 2013
Mid Michigan
2Door thanks for stopping by! I am curious about the rubber. I read the whole To "rubber" or not thread and saw very mixed opinions. I've already had some heat issues with them and vibrations at high rpms. So I already wanted to try without them too. The motor mount makes it pretty easy to take out and remount the motor so I'd love to try it for science.

I'd still need to keep the same spacing so is just stacking a bunch of washers ok? Anything you'd recommend in particular?