Twin Villiers!

GoldenMotor.com

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
I hear that!
I've suffered from project overload myself a time or two....
I currently only have about 6 or 7 in progress.
Sometimes I just walk away for months at a time. But the older I get, the less pressure I feel to produce. The planning/building process is more than half the fun anymore.

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
I hear that!
I've suffered from project overload myself a time or two....
I currently only have about 6 or 7 in progress.
Sometimes I just walk away for months at a time. But the older I get, the less pressure I feel to produce. The planning/building process is more than half the fun anymore.
So true,
I find myself in the same situation and discover I don't much mind having things half done... always something to tinker on with no real pressure at getting them done. And if you get tired of one or are waiting for parts then tinker with one of the others.
SB

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
IWW,
I like this build a lot. The tanks look like they came from 1950's Atco mowers, so the engines probably did, too. One of the most pleasing things to look at is the seat... love it!
SB

sr2

Oct 2, 2013
Milford, Auckland, New Zealand
I love the link. What a fabulous, out of the square build; and as an added bonus it’s even Villiers powered! I have to say however that those little Midget (Mk II G?) engines need a lot of back pressure to stop 4 stroking and run properly; as cool as the straight through copper pipes are they are obviously causing tuning problems. On a positive note who could deny that the seat, roughly thrown together with a meter or so of mild steel flat is nothing short of aesthetic genius?
I’ve been collecting parts and secretly harbouring obsessive ideas for an “in the spirit of boardracing” motorised bicycle build for the past year or so. At the age of 57 I’ve spent my life modifying cars (and in the last two decades building some very competitive race cars) but have finally reached the stage where I need to allow form to take precedence over function and build a machine purely for the self indulgent **** of it! (New to this MB I’m hoping I have discovered some kindred spirit; feel free to let me know if you think otherwise, it’s your MB).
I’ve posted (hopefully) a few pictures of my intended engine / gearbox configuration and a shot of the preliminary design of the two engine plates (I’ll have them laser cut but plan to make sure they are well rusted before final assembly). Once I gain momentum I’ll start a build thread, feel free to offer advice (or criticism) as I’m out of my depth here and would appreciate your support.

Attachments

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
When you do start your thread I don't want to miss it. I'm also a villiars midget fan and have two builds which utilize them as singles. One is a 1934 Elgin step through with an SBP shift system and a 3 speed rear hub which is not quite done. The other is barely underway and is a 1963 Schwinn American Deluxe step through frame being converted to a trike utilizing a differential axle. It is to be a hybrid with an electric Golden Motor pancake hub front wheel and in the back most of the mower assembly from an old Atco mower. It has the midget engine with kick start and will use the dog clutch and lower mower framework incorporated into the trike framework. I'll start a thread on it this summer.

Intrepid is also doing a build with the Villiars midget in a very cool velocar... she can tell you about it.

I can also recall two other build threads incorporating the midget engines. One was called Villiars Beach Cruiser and is a wonderful vintage flavored build with a belt drive. The other was never finished as far as I know and was meant to be a racer with two midgets in line. The builder was another crazy Kiwi. There must be a lot of these great old engines still to be found in your part of the world.

A very warm welcome to you!
SB