BonusParts' Genesis Astra 29er Build

GoldenMotor.com

BonusParts

Nov 28, 2012
SE-PA
New build time!

Seeing as i blammed a deer on the huffy (video link) I decided to build a brand new bike.

I settled on the Genesis Astra Cruiser walmart sells for 185. (bike link)

It's a 29er, has V-brakes, all aluminum. I've checked it out in the store and its a solid bike that just needs a quality assembly to be long lasting.

Seeing as I'm getting it shipped direct I have the joy of assembling it myself from the start. I will post pics of the bike and how it gets built once it ships/arrives.

The goal with this bike is to achieve 50MPH - and yes on a single speed. Also am seeking to make it as reliable as possible within the confines of the design.
I will update the thread with pics and such as the bike arrives/gets built etc. Also will update with GPS accurate speeds and longevity reports!

Here are the build plans (there will likely be changes later - and I'll update)

66cc Stage 2 Fred Motor w/ Stuffed crank.
- New copper base and head gaskets (.025" base, .016" & .025" head (to vary compression)
- upgraded intake/exhaust gaskets
- long intake tube
- nt speed carb (or the dellorto clone (ive got one just need jets))
Lightning CDI
KX80 or similar expansion chamber
Pirate cycles freewheel sprocket adapter & 36T sprocket
revised tensioner for drive chain
2+ gal motorcycle tank
hd thorn resistant tubes
revised clutch arm system (havent decided on cable drawn linkage or a roller guide)
front and rear racks
2x 1200 lumen LED headlights (wide angle)
homebrew junction box for headlight, battery and charging.
new led rear lights
replacing ALL hardware that attaches the fenders to 12.9 metric w/ locking washers and flange nuts.

I started this post earlier and then walked away, and now I haven't the slightest clue what else I had to post. I'll be back when i gather myself together again.
Matt

BonusParts

Nov 28, 2012
SE-PA
Update.

The bicycle is here - HOORAY!
My bike stand is here... holding above mentioned bicycle.

Here's the order sheet so far:

New clutch (big bevel wheel) assembly
clutch puller
suspension fork
front and rear rack
SBP front engine mount and HD air filter for NT
JuiceMotoParts.com head, base, intake and exhaust gaskets
motorcycle throttle assembly and grips
shock seatpost
seatpost clamp with rack mounting eyelets

Thats what i've purchased thus far. Boxes should start streaming in as of tomorrow!

I have the handlebars mocked up - just using a 23" mountain bike bar with a low rise. Seeing as the stem is adjustable I've got plenty of room to adjust. Need to wait for my seatpost to come to finalize my seat height and pick a bar position.

Revised my mounting situation for the headlights as from manufacturer it is certainly pitiful.

I'll post photos in a couple hours - gotta run with the fiance to the grocery store.

Matt

BonusParts

Nov 28, 2012
SE-PA
Here are some photos to accompany.

when the bike arrived...

unwrapping it a tad

getting everything down to the workshop... still waiting on my stand at this point....

so i figured I'd lay some paint down on my handlebars...

and once i finished that started taking the bike apart and ended up with this...

Attachments

BonusParts

Nov 28, 2012
SE-PA
And then the stand showed up....

and to show you what all i've got going on - its a mess of bikes everywhere

so at this point its waiting for parts, so i took my fred motor and got busy!

And after some sanding and paint this is my fred motor. improved visually :D

Attachments

Last edited:

BonusParts

Nov 28, 2012
SE-PA
here is the finished switchbox with its 4 plug in harness ends. Nice and modular.

The wiring for the battery itself is not yet finalized. but it does all work

Stay tuned. More progress en route! I should be having my fuel tank mounted in the next week, as well as my exhaust attached. Using the SBP exhaust from my other bike, just so happens to fit! I was going to use a KX80 exhaust, but with this frame its just more work than its worth to do.

Attachments

BonusParts

Nov 28, 2012
SE-PA
My brake light LED's are here, the work LEDs are here, and my special surprise kit has arrived. all are happily powered simultaneously without killing my SLA battery. That includes 1.0a out for a USB charger. Woot!

snelson203

Mar 20, 2014
Philadelphia Area
I have the same bike- just scored it at Wal-Mart for $139 on sale. Pulled all the stickers off and am going to motorize it next. Couple of questions: The rack on the back of yours, what brand and where did you get it? #2: I see you replaced the quick turn seat clamp. What kind of clamp is that and where did you get it? Thanks.

BonusParts

Nov 28, 2012
SE-PA
The rack I sourced from ebay. Its a sunlite. Rated for 55lbs.

The seat clamp i also sourced on ebay. they list under "rack mount clamp" or "seat post clamp mount"

I could have just used a standard bolt for the original seat clamp, but I like the idea of a dedicated set of bolts to attach my rack to!

Good luck with your project, Stay tuned because I think mine ought be running soon.

In other news -

The SBP chamber has been HACKED and made to be a bit more useful. :) Pics to follow.

BonusParts

Nov 28, 2012
SE-PA
Well today ended up being a relatively productive day.

I affixed my rear lights to the pannier bags, that was a nice handful of small zip ties - very discrete.

I also took advantage of all my peripherals being off the bike to finalize locations and mount my multiple led strip setup. I went a tad overboard trying to keep the wires hidden, but overall its a clean job and they follow existing cables as not to attract extra attention.

My phone case arrived and that is mounted on the handle bars - its AWESOME. will have heads up GPS etc on my bars :D.

beyond that I am down to only a couple "significant" projects.

-mount the tank
-find headlight battery enclosure
-finalize expansion chamber and mount it

I will try to get some photos soon but my basement makes a crappy backdrop.

BonusParts

Nov 28, 2012
SE-PA
That gas tank is out of control. You will have a 600 mile range on one tank of fuel. Maybe more!! Looking good
I wish i could say i believe you but its only 2.5 gallons. I have a hard time seeing how i'll near 200mpg at 40mph lol
- I guestimated it to be about 225 miles as my "working" range. ~90mpg
Thank you for the kind words !!

BonusParts

Nov 28, 2012
SE-PA
Alright, SHOULD BE RUNNING this week. Im going on a vacation soon so I need to finish before I depart.

I just got the TurboBuick tensioner and its AWESOME. AWESOME. catch that? AWESOME.

Could nearly run without a tensioner at all, but the addition of the roller wheel and nice PROPER bearings make it a silent machine