Piston seizure?? Please help!!!

GoldenMotor.com

motorized kodiak

Aug 3, 2013
australia
hey everyone, as i was putting on my jug, it was pretty hard to get the piston through,i had to bang the jug with a rubber mullet so that the piston goes through it, now when i dump the clutch it just stops without moving at all!, teh spark plug wasnt even in it, how can i free the piston??

Tyler6357

Mar 15, 2012
Santa Barbara, CA
Sounds like you might have broken the piston rings. You have to squeeze each ring together and slide the cylinder down over the top of it and then do the same thing with the second ring. If you used a hammer you probably broke the rings.

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
A few questions first:
Did you pre-lube the cylinder and piston with 2 stroke oil?
Did you carefully align the piston ring gaps with the aligning dowels in the piston ring grooves? Sometimes they can be a bugger to keep in position.
Did you compress the rings into the ring grooves and carefully guide the piston up into the cylinder?

motorized kodiak

Aug 3, 2013
australia
yes i did lube the cylynder, but i havent heard of any thing got to do with the rins allingment, alli did was compress them and it went in smoothly at the top but then got a little stuck so i banged it, now it wont turn over!!!

Tyler6357

Mar 15, 2012
Santa Barbara, CA
Take the head and cylinder off again being careful not to damage the gaskets and try to reassemble it. You shouldn't have to use a hammer to get it on, if you do than the rings are not on properly. Once the cylinder is down try to crank it a little bit slowly and make sure the piston is moving properly. Then put the head back on and restart.

Tyler6357

Mar 15, 2012
Santa Barbara, CA
GearNut is right, carefully align the piston ring gaps with the aligning dowels in the piston ring grooves. You might have to turn the rings slightly to get each one aligned. Next pinch the top ring together while you carefully slide the cylinder over the ring, repeat the above procedure for the bottom ring.

rogergendron1

Sep 18, 2013
woburn ma
first off you should never have t force a piston in with a rubber hammer !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

it should slide in pretty easy but snugly by hand no problem, ONCE THE RINGS ARE ALIGNED !

unlike a 4 stroke 2 stroke rings are stationary. they do not move as in spin freely around the piston. this is because if they were to spin freely they would get hung up on a port opening !!! so there are lil dowels in the ring grove that each ring must close on, these dowels are place so the ring openings do not hang up on the port opening and to keep them far enough apart to prevent blow by.

it sounds like you did not align the ring opening with the pins in the ring grooves properly thus causing the ring to bulge at that point and scrape against the jugs wall ! then when you forced it in you may have scraped the jug wall and mabey even snapped the ring and caused the piston to sieze in place. to make it worse when you dumped the clutch you put a LOT of force on it to rotate and mabey even damaged it further by gouging the cylender walls with the bulged or broken ring and locked it in place .

your best option is to take it all apart any way you can, your jug may be difficult to remove now that the piston is stuck , and inspect it for broken rings, needle bearings, and look at the cylinder wall and make shure ther are no score marks. if your jug wall is scored to the point where you can feel the scratches with your finger or finger nail you need a new cylinder ! scores like that cause a major compression loss and blow by.

rogergendron1

Sep 18, 2013
woburn ma
do you know how to put the rings on properly? thanks
look at the pist on ring groves, you should see 2 dowels. one in each groove.
those dowels are the aligning pins for the rings.

the rings need to close on the dowels at the ring opening and be held tight like that wile you carefully slide the jug on. its easyer to do em one at a time unless you have a ring compression tool

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Do all of the above, but first order a new cylinder and two piston rings. You're going to need them. If you indeed broke the rings, or even one of them then tried to start the engine you've damaged the cylinder wall and is is not repairable. You'll have massive compression loss and no power.

Before you tear into an engine again take the time to do a little reading here. There are many tutorials on disassembling and reassembling engines properly.

Good luck.

Tom

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
thanks, so how can i tell if the cylinder is wrecked? if i feel in side it and i feel no scars or deep scratches does that mean its fine?
The damage we're all expecting would be obvious. Deep gouges in the cylinder and the piston ring/s broken. If you see none of this you're a lucky man indeed. Try reassembling using the previous advice of aligning the piston ring gaps with the pins in the grooves, and lubricating the rings, piston and cylinder walls with 2 stroke oil. Carefully compress the rings, top one first then push the piston in until the second ring comes against the bottom of the cylinder and repeat. Just make sure those rings are aligned with the pins. If they aren't the piston won't go in...unless you hammer on it.

Tom

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Hoping I'm wrong here but if the second ring was not aligned properly with the retainer pin in the ring groove when you started banging it in with a hammer odds are you destroyed the piston, may have broke the ring and severly scored the cylinder wall.

if that is the case boygoesfast sells a new jug and new piston and rings for around $35 delivered to your door.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/190933567981?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

hope all works out good for ya but hammering in a piston is not good on one of these engines.

Best wishes...!

Map reddd

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
Busted rings, mangled piston lands, garfed cylinder wall, and probably scrap down in the crankcase.
Are we having fun yet???
Possibly a bent rod and/or broken wrist pin bearing cage, depending upon size of the hammer and force applied when dumping the clutch.

Among the best things about a chinagirl is they are cheap to work on.
An excellent learning platform.
Best
rc