Converting from a 2 Stroke to 4 Stroke Pain-Free Please

GoldenMotor.com

VTHokie

Dec 18, 2012
Virginia
My 2-stroke engine kit was real fun to build and experiment with. But, it started having issues around 6 months ago (top speed dropped from 35 to 20 mph) and after messing with it off and on for a while, I'm sick of it and ready to just switch the engine out for a more reliable 4 stroke. I have a lot of neat accessories I really enjoy and pieces that I hope to be able to use with the new engine.

If I want to switch to a 4 stroke, do I have to buy a WHOLE new kit, or are there parts that are interchangeable?
Is there a 4 stroke motor that I can purchase as a stand-alone, and just bolt on, run the chain through, and be off, or is it way more complicated than that?
And lastly, which 4 stroke motor would you all recommend?

I love the look of the 2 stroke motor, but I hate how unreliable it is, and hope to get more use out of the bike once I convert it over. Thanks, I look forward to hearing some good responses.

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
For a pain free, quick install I vote for a kit rather than piece meal your own rig.
If you want an in frame engine, get an EZM kit or a 4G kit.
If you want a rear rack mounted engine, get a Golden Eagle kit, a Staton kit, or a DAX kit.

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
I agree with GearNut, Build your thumper from a full kit. You can still use much of your 2 stroke kit parts as spares. If you want to sell the two stroke kit, it will be easier to sell as a complete kit.

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
My 2-stroke engine kit was real fun to build and experiment with. But, it started having issues around 6 months ago (top speed dropped from 35 to 20 mph) and after messing with it off and on for a while, I'm sick of it and ready to just switch the engine out for a more reliable 4 stroke. I have a lot of neat accessories I really enjoy and pieces that I hope to be able to use with the new engine.

If I want to switch to a 4 stroke, do I have to buy a WHOLE new kit, or are there parts that are interchangeable?
Is there a 4 stroke motor that I can purchase as a stand-alone, and just bolt on, run the chain through, and be off, or is it way more complicated than that?
And lastly, which 4 stroke motor would you all recommend?

I love the look of the 2 stroke motor, but I hate how unreliable it is, and hope to get more use out of the bike once I convert it over. Thanks, I look forward to hearing some good responses.
It is more complicated.......

If you switch to a 4 stroke you won't be able to use hardly any of the 2 stroke kit parts.

The 4 stroke 50 cc Huasheng kits come with several gear boxes that go from very bad to really good. You have some reading here in the 4 stroke forum to figure out which ones are best for you in terms of quality versus cost.

However there are much better quality 2 stroke motors on the market now that will be reliable for you and cost about a 1/3rd of a new approx $400 to $600 50 cc 4 stroke kit.

VTHokie

Dec 18, 2012
Virginia
It is more complicated.......

If you switch to a 4 stroke you won't be able to use hardly any of the 2 stroke kit parts.

The 4 stroke 50 cc Huasheng kits come with several gear boxes that go from very bad to really good. You have some reading here in the 4 stroke forum to figure out which ones are best for you in terms of quality versus cost.

However there are much better quality 2 stroke motors on the market now that will be reliable for you and cost about a 1/3rd of a new approx $400 to $600 50 cc 4 stroke kit.
Well, that sounds like a better deal to me. As much as I'd like a 4 stroke kit, starting from scratch feels so wasteful. I'd just as easy pick up a trustworthy 2 stroke that can stand the test of time, as you've mentioned. Are there any reliable, upper shelf 2 strokes you could mention off the top of your head to get me started looking?

Thanks

Last edited:

eho35zooma

Dec 20, 2013
SLO, CA
I caught the buy and customize a new 4 cycle bike with help from a kit. This is what I am waiting for thru ebay. A 5 foot 415 chain, a 54 tooth sprocket and 49cc, $220 china girl coming over from an Island in Hong Kong harbor. When is spring? I'll need some help.