Oct 25, 2010
Finland
hi !

these are my 2 motorized bicycles :

26" mtb
2 photos in album : http://www.motot.net/galleria/albumi18697/

24" frame kids bike and 20" wheels
2 photos in album : http://www.motot.net/galleria/albumi18697/

Both made from parts that i was able to find Free. 26" costed about 40euro's inc bike itself. Both engines bought from bike breaker. rest parts-items from ScrapYard. couple parts from eBay.

basically 1 almoust complite Cag engine cost me 10euro's. i got 3+ for total 30e. all were new but neglegted on storage tlc.

Budget etc ristricted me from certain outcomes...

Did my research prior 1st build. i read this forum and some others and used the info, hence got everything right at the 1st time and try.

both my bikes have Cagllari engine(s) with 40mm diam piston. 26" uses China made Dellorto PHBG19ds clone. and 24" uses genuine Dellorto PHBH19ds. From these 2 the China clone is 4stroke version carb (emulsifier etc parts in it).

i do have new 44mm diam BBK kit in spares but not tested it yet.

Looking by the photos maybe by now the Skilled ones noticed that "26 has engine running reversed. Yes, ignition is reversed mirrored. its now Suction cooled. Flywheel holds perfectly even wothout w-d-key, and M6 Torq spec is somewhat 2Kg.

Both engines have 5:1 reduction GearBox from Petrol Scooter. i managed to find good Quality Box Brand/factory. seen also bad ones on market...

ive done 1200kilometres so far with the "26. TopSpeed that ive tested has been 57Km/h and i had to let of in a sake of safety....

on this "26 the (engine Position and Rotational directions) Vertical DriveTrain is the Trickyest part as all forces are somewhat Vertical, Hence it demands alot from Chain Adjuster function, it needs to be bullet proof, no Failure is allowed.

Hence it has Slack adjuster on both sides, for Acceleration and for slowingdown. both work same time, other takes slack of and other gives loose & Vice Versa.

engine Rack is a OverKill on material durability as its Steel. but still bike handles well on Curves, in and out of them.

Had my 5:1 box Chain sprocket ordered from USA (DAX) but unfortunately thye dont have them anymore. its the1 with integrated off-set collar and proper Grooving. Very durable and dont wobble on Box shaft.

inside these 5:1 boxes i use thick and sticky Tractor Grease.

Clutch is race clutch with my own chosen softer Springs.

Those clutches on my bike last 900~1000km before aluminiun arm worn loose. Friction material is still like new (only ~1,2mm worn from Original thickness) but the aluminium arms worn too loose.

Steel Fe Pivot bolt eats the aluminium alloy....heat..

what else, "MPG" is ok i think. GasTank made from Drink bottle is iirc 700cc/7dl and ive driven 28~30km with it @ cruising speed surface throttle @ summink 35km/h speed. iirc that was my best and easy to achieve.

Other than that, i have in collection various engines and more bicycles etc to make more.

Next plan is a TT style bike with 2T engine from Petrol Scooter. that has in it as STD electric start,Charging coils in stator, full electrics. also pull start.
This engine :

http://www.x-tremescooters.com/gas_scooters/xg505/images/xg-505-black-engine-2-400pi.gif

http://www.fireworksandscootersdirect.co.uk/product_images/342.gif

Bye:)
m

Last edited:

Cagiva4ever

Oct 25, 2010
Finland
hi !

on the "26 i have 10t sprocket at the 5:1 Box outputshaft. i bought it couple years ago from USA "thats Dax" shop.

very snug proper fit to the shaft, as i like it.

Later i bought flat 10t's from Dax to the "24 as previous ones were sold out and out of production.

Those flat ones wobble on Shaft as thye have no integrated or any collar on them. Wobble causes problems depending about bike made, its chain alignment, chain size etc, if the combo happens to be tricky1..........

from other hand the wobble can cure and help chain alignment depending about Build.......

Other than Dax, i have no idea where to get them. iirc they were made in USA sprockets. good durable metal.

Dax uses same sprocket on 1 of his videos where he puts Friction drive kit into bike. where he uses Cagllari engine.

btw, on my #24 i have Shimanos Nexus200Hub with 3-gear. so far no durability problems, but not much driven kilometres. looks good so far.....

bye:)
m

16v4nrbrgr

Mar 17, 2012
North Bay
Cool, thanks for the tip, maybe one of those sprockets with a collar added would work for my bike. If I had a lower motor sprocket I'd have better use of my upper gears.

Cagiva4ever

Oct 25, 2010
Finland
hi !

flat sprockets from "thats dax" work too IF you can make a collar/spacer on a Lathe.

There needs to be little Wobble for the Sprocket, like 1mm or so. So that it can kinda all the time "self Calibrate" the chain alignment.

Totally non-wobble sprocket fastened totally solid, would not calibrate and that would cause chain to eat the Tooths more rapidly, as the tooth Tops would get Grinded....in some cases Chain would more easyly try and climb over the Sprocket...

but some wobble can cure that.

Flat sprockets from DAX, as they are in STD, have huge wobble, so much that the center hole grooves of them would worn out rapidly...

i use 415 Pitch Chain on the "thats dax" sprockets. same pitch as in most Bicycles, juts narroer Chain on bicycle, where as 415 moped Chain is like 3x wider.

that 415 also cures and self Calibrates as "thats dax" sprocket is much narroer than 415 sprocket on Mopeds.

415 chain is common pitch in europe on 80s and early 90s mopeds.

Cagglari engines (like mine set-up) have so much power that Taiwanese or chinese Chains Stretch to much. commomn brands like "KMC".

now i use German made Chains and have also japanise "DiD" on spares.

German made seems to last doesnt Stretch that much, which aint surprise.

on some applications Chinese chains can give some advantage...

Depending of Chain durability, its tricky to speculate engine fittment place distance to rear sprockets. Making Adjustable Engine fittment locations, To compensate chain Slack or Chain Link amount....

bad chain strecth or Link qty problem can cause chain Slack problems that arent possible to Adjust....

basically anything over speed 20kmh or huge Torq below that Stretches chain muchos.

on my "26 i could not use KMC chain anymore as im out of Adjustment movement. Hence i had to find German Chain. Because i cant cure my stretched KMC's by taking of Chain links, then they are too Short...

thast what Vertical chain drive causes Vs Horizontal................with those variable factors...

bye:)
m

Cagiva4ever

Oct 25, 2010
Finland
hi !

Dax 10t that i have, the Flat ones are 3mm Thick. on my "24 with it i use normal bicycle chain from 1 gear bicycle. i assume 7-speed or 15 or 21 speed chain is as wide as that1 i use ?

iirc the Dax 10t with integrated off-set collar is also 3mm Thick on same place as above mentioned version.

today i read summink about current Dax sprockets being bad material or something. i have no idea if its tru.

mines date back to early 2011 April. iirc dax told they were just made then, as he was sold out from Collar ones...

Flat ones i have are totally Flat, meaning Teeth top sides dont have Chamfers on them, they are sharp. NEED TO BE CHAMFERED prior use with metalfile. just a little bit, so that Chain wont bite and try to Climb over.....

Flat ones are made "stamped" out of Metal sheet on SheetMetal Press....

Those Shimano nexus hubs with 3gear are i-e used on handyCapped 3wheelers and transport 3wheeler bicycles. They get used somewhat roughly and under big loads..

anyway, im taking it carefully with mine "24. naturally i dont change gear under engine Load. Sofar Hub has stayed as cold as it is normally. Just need to be careful and Properly Shim the bearing clearence and Lock properly the adjusters Locknuts....

These Hubs have an Habbit to Self Tighten up under Load if Locknuts not properly Torq'd. if that happens it can Burn bearings.......

and today i read this Topic section and noticed people using 7speed shimano hubs as i do, but as an JackShaft and as an reduction on same occasion. espec those double sprocket sided shimano hubs 3s.

Yea, the "24 is a Beast, just happens its named "Crazy Bomber". riding it is like having Tank Slapper up in high speeds.

16v4nrbrgr

Mar 17, 2012
North Bay
Thanks for the measurement Cagiva4ever, looks like I'd need to grind the sprocket down by a mm for it to work with 9 speed chain, bummer.

I'm glad there's other people running these motors on bikes so I have people to ask questions like this, lol.

Thanks! Keep up the good work and let us know how it goes.