9.5HP 7200W 22Lbs. of Vertebrae Dislocating Magnetic Goodness.

GoldenMotor.com

RicksRides

Feb 22, 2012
osceola IN
Used to have a couple stickers on the wheelie bars of my drag bike one said: zero to dead in the flick of a wrist the other said : sit down, hold on and pray

16v4nrbrgr

Mar 17, 2012
North Bay
My next one's just gonna have a lot of lead on it, lol. My 8hp one takes SLA's and sucks them up like juicy-juice. I was looking into the big 3.7v cells but for and effective bike it would require over a grand worth of them.

miked826

Aug 6, 2011
Los Angeles
Looks like the motor that LFP was using in his racing eMotorcycle?
That's exactly what that is. It's 8" in diameter and capable of spinning in either direction. With about 30 lbs of the right batteries and right controller, it's capable of giving you an instant temporary Bruce Jenner face lift when mounted on a bicycle. LOL

Last edited:

miked826

Aug 6, 2011
Los Angeles
My Felt MP is packing nearly 80 lbs. more than it originally weighed and has more holes drilled through it than a slice of Swiss cheese. Neither have had any affect on it.

miked826

Aug 6, 2011
Los Angeles
I could have given Bruce that same look, plus a fun to ride, economical, Eco-friendly means of hauling himself around for less than he spent on that permanent face tightening job he got. Oh the humanity Bruce! Fire your plastic surgeon now, if haven't already done so!

Thud

May 26, 2010
West Michigan
Looks like the motor that LFP was using in his racing eMotorcycle?
Not quite,
Lfp has had a few motors, the original was a custom golden motor (the magic pie folks). He burnned it up.....i have it on the bench here in Mi for a re-wind.

It was a prototype for zero motorcycles & started as one of these:
http://www.goldenmotor.ca/products/48-Volt-10KW-BLDC-Motor.html
LFP is the battery guru at zero fyi
He has other un-ubtainium from their parts bins.
Was running it on 116volts & a huge sevcon controller

That motenergy motor is nice...total overkill for a bicycle but a great motor all the same.

You have a controller picked out yet miked826?

miked826

Aug 6, 2011
Los Angeles
Not quite,
Lfp has had a few motors, the original was a custom golden motor (the magic pie folks). He burnned it up.....i have it on the bench here in Mi for a re-wind.

It was a prototype for zero motorcycles & started as one of these:
http://www.goldenmotor.ca/products/48-Volt-10KW-BLDC-Motor.html
LFP is the battery guru at zero fyi
He has other un-ubtainium from their parts bins.
Was running it on 116volts & a huge sevcon controller

That motenergy motor is nice...total overkill for a bicycle but a great motor all the same.

You have a controller picked out yet miked826?

22 Lbs is the weight and maybe overkill for a normal bicycle, but is no more overkill than your average GX200, which easily outweighs and outsizes it. I use Kelly Controllers. Sevcon, smevcon. 116V? Now youre talking overkill.

Some how, some way, I'm gonna have to get by with my $395 motor with 72V @ 100A continuous. I'm not sure how I gonna do it with only 7200W though. I might have to go on a diet. LOL

Last edited:

Thud

May 26, 2010
West Michigan
+1 for the kelly.

($evcon'$ co$t)
Go big or go home (on the race track anyway)

I tend to stay below 72v on anything I call a everyday riding bike.
After that, the 50cc china girl is about a perfect bike motor.wee.

miked826

Aug 6, 2011
Los Angeles
+1 for the kelly.

($evcon'$ co$t)
Go big or go home (on the race track anyway)

I tend to stay below 72v on anything I call a everyday riding bike.
After that, the 50cc china girl is about a perfect bike motor.wee.
I want to go very fast, for very far, in silence, up or on any terrain, and without costing a fortune. I don't think I'm asking for too much.

I want a balance of range vs speed leaning a bit towards the speed end. 55mph is plenty for me. I'm not a greedy man. LOL

16v4nrbrgr

Mar 17, 2012
North Bay
You're asking too much, coming from an engineer who built an electric motard. It is possible, very easily in fact, if you have concentrated cash lying around. With gears you can do 55 mph with 4 hp or 3000W and not need tons of batteries. At 6000W my motard has enough torque to do a throttle induced backflip, I'm sure if there was a transmission out there that actually handled the torque, it could be stretched out to about 60 mph. Finding a multi speed drivetrain that can handle that torque will be difficult, since its more than would typically go through a small sequential gearstack. I think on an electric, doing more with less and just trying to keep it on the bicycle side of things with lightness and efficiency nets more results than going brutal, which is expensive and gets heavy, even with lithium batts if you want the best of both worlds. There is a reason that a Zero motorcycle costs $10,000, its difficult to get everything you want with an electric vehicle in one package without paying for the newest stuff. Never mind the expense of components and wiring for a system over 48v, where any bad connection turns into an arc welder, lol!

Last edited:

miked826

Aug 6, 2011
Los Angeles
You're asking too much, coming from an engineer who built an electric motard. It is possible, very easily in fact, if you have concentrated cash lying around. With gears you can do 55 mph with 4 hp or 3000W and not need tons of batteries. At 6000W my motard has enough torque to do a throttle induced backflip, I'm sure if there was a transmission out there that actually handled the torque, it could be stretched out to about 60 mph. Finding a multi speed drivetrain that can handle that torque will be difficult, since its more than would typically go through a small sequential gearstack. I think on an electric, doing more with less and just trying to keep it on the bicycle side of things with lightness and efficiency nets more results than going brutal, which is expensive and gets heavy, even with lithium batts if you want the best of both worlds. There is a reason that a Zero motorcycle costs $10,000, its difficult to get everything you want with an electric vehicle in one package without paying for the newest stuff. Never mind the expense of components and wiring for a system over 48v, where any bad connection turns into an arc welder, lol!
I will try to keep the hp/lb ratio as high as I can. I'm going minimalist with the bicycle and maximulist with the engine/controller. Failure is not an option. At least not right now. It's too soon for that noise. LOL

There has to be a way to reinforce the NuVinci N360 to handle it. It just needs to contain it's juice which makes it all work while under that kind of strees.

Last edited:

16v4nrbrgr

Mar 17, 2012
North Bay
I'd like to motorize my mountain bike with a light electric setup, you can get good range with the standard setups up to 48v without breaking the bank.

Any geared hub has its weaknesses, I've heard of Nuvinci's failing from HT's so I don't think an electric motor would be kind to it. I'd stick with 3 speed hubs so you can swap them out cheaply when they fail if you do a mid drive. Rohloff is supposed to be wonderful if you have $1500 for a hub lying around. I think the Sturmey fixie hub is worth looking into, since it doesn't have pawls, which are the biggest weakness other than the risk of the driver which holds the sprocket fracturing. Mind you, this is high quality heat treated carbon steel with a perfect surface finish, they are like a mini Hewland gearbox inside, and still a trashy Unite Razor scooter motor can mash a regular Sturmey with a thwap of throttle.

miked826

Aug 6, 2011
Los Angeles
I'd like to motorize my mountain bike with a light electric setup, you can get good range with the standard setups up to 48v without breaking the bank.

Any geared hub has its weaknesses, I've heard of Nuvinci's failing from HT's so I don't think an electric motor would be kind to it. I'd stick with 3 speed hubs so you can swap them out cheaply when they fail if you do a mid drive. Rohloff is supposed to be wonderful if you have $1500 for a hub lying around. I think the Sturmey fixie hub is worth looking into, since it doesn't have pawls, which are the biggest weakness other than the risk of the driver which holds the sprocket fracturing. Mind you, this is high quality heat treated carbon steel with a perfect surface finish, they are like a mini Hewland gearbox inside, and still a trashy Unite Razor scooter motor can mash a regular Sturmey with a thwap of throttle.
The NuVinci does not mechanically fail though, as it is built like a tank. It's fluid escapes its housing, which then causes it to fail under high torque loads. Once it's juice is refilled, it works again.

All other options cost too much or don't work without some kind of drawback.