200cc Honda clones

GoldenMotor.com

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Here are two brand new stock 200cc Honda clones, can you tell them apart? Both are from Harbor Freight and they both have 79cc smaller brothers.

Here is a pic of the two Predators (left) 212cc and 79cc with the old blue Greyhound 196cc on the right.

And the size difference between the three.......not all that much.

Claimed horsepower: 212cc Predator 7HP
196cc Greyhound 6.5HP
79cc Predator 2.5HP

These are cheap to buy engines that can be put in builds to race the mid horsepower class leaving them stock. Or you can go crazy and dump a $1,000 into high performance racing parts and go wild! You can really make this hobby as cheap or expensive as you want to and it all boils down to having fun!

These are just three of the many 4-stroke options out there and just as many 2-strokes as well. Start building!

scotto-

Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
I pulled my original 212cc predator apart today to re-seat the head and reduce the end play on the crank. I'm still amazed how the piston looks like brand new and the only carbon build up so far is on the valves. This is the engine I've been racing for the past two years.

This engine is running stronger than ever.

16v4nrbrgr

Mar 17, 2012
North Bay
What's the best or most cost effective transmissions for these? It seems like it costs 2x the engine cost to get all set up with clutch and reduction and have it on a bike. I'm attracted to the torque and the 212 is only $100 on sale, but the transmission cost has been a dealbreaker, mounting one up, I can figure that out.

16v4nrbrgr

Mar 17, 2012
North Bay
I found a bunch of different centrifugal clutches for sale for about $50, one of those would be good for a starter, bet it has enough torque to use one of those directly to the rear wheel.

racie35

Nov 17, 2012
usa
My tav is still working good....I know others upped the engine ponies and complained about early belt wear...mines been fine....ymmv

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
16v, the engine may have enough torque to run a clutch straight to the rear wheel, but the top speed would be CRAZY then, lol. Even with an 11t clutch and a 72t rear sprocket, that's only a 6.54:1 gear ratio. Even with 20" wheels, that's a crazy high ratio. As far as transmission cost, I would think of all the parts you want on a bike, then add up the cost of everything and see if you can justify it. Compare it to the cost of other builds as well, such as your ktm/occ build. My flathead build cost me $800, and even if I'd had to pay full price for all the parts I got, it would have come out to about $1200. To me, it was justifiable. I paid $200 for my American made gearbox, and it was the most expensive part I bought. I didn't even blink about it. I'd build that bike again, even if I had to pay full price for everything. Yes, the gearboxes do typically cost more than the engine. I didn't really think about that though.

buggy064

Dec 19, 2012
Paradise, Ca.
Is that 120 G X the same as the 79 cc / 99 cc Harbor Freight if so can't it be used to stroke a 79 cc or 99 cc engine to a bigger size or use it's flywheel on the Harbor Freight to run lights

racie35

Nov 17, 2012
usa
Why use the parts if you already have the 120 though?...seperately the pieces prob aren't cheap

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Just a word of caution here. If you don't agree say so because I am no great expert. The 212 Preddy engine is so tempting to buy at just a hundred bucks and leads to visions of a really fast light motorcycle for cheap. Stick it in your Huffy frame and go like the wind.

This is a powerful engine with a lot of torque; a whole different beast from a wee China girl or a more modest 79cc Preddy. I thought about it for a 1950's Schwinn frame I had in mind and was strongly advised by others on the forum not to do it. Their fear was that the frame would not handle the engine and suggested that if I wanted to use a 212 then I need a stronger frame.

A big engine also suggests a need for better brakes, better quality wheels and tires, all of which means $$$. No, you are not going to have a fast 212cc motorcycle for a couple hundred bucks. That's a death wish.

Just know what you're doing and what you're wiling to spend in money and effort. Scotto knows what he's doing and has been doing it for a long time. Go ahead with a fast bike, but do it right and stay safe. If you don't have those kind of skills or the money to carry it off, look at the 79cc and keep your dreams within reach. I've had the 79cc and the 99cc when it was still available and they are nice, dependable engines. And they can make a bike scoot, too!
SB

Last edited:

racie35

Nov 17, 2012
usa
A 79 or 99 will put a cheesy bike in harms way easily too. The weight difference to a 212 is easily matched by different sized drivers. Brakes and strong wheels,good tires...important

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
A 79 or 99 will put a cheesy bike in harms way easily too. The weight difference to a 212 is easily matched by different sized drivers. Brakes and strong wheels,good tires...important
Agreed. Cheesy bikes are not good choices for motor bicycles, even 50cc China girls. Some of the builds I've seen make me cringe. I think back to my first attempts at motorbikes and I'm lucky to still be here. Getting hurt is no fun and it is so easy to get hurt badly. These things sure are fun, though! If you want to go fast then you need to be able to stop fast, too. Common sense is the best resource in the tool box.
SB

racie35

Nov 17, 2012
usa
I think part of the thrill of these may be taking a bicycle and making a motorcycle... Whether cheap or not it can get you in trouble faster then its meant to. I know my 2 will easily exceed 45 and they're Whizzers,so kinda designed to move along...doesn't make me feel any safer when I hop on.

scotto-

Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Agreed. Cheesy bikes are not good choices for motor bicycles, even 50cc China girls. Some of the builds I've seen make me cringe. I think back to my first attempts at motorbikes and I'm lucky to still be here. Getting hurt is no fun and it is so easy to get hurt badly. These things sure are fun, though! If you want to go fast then you need to be able to stop fast, too. Common sense is the best resource in the tool box.
SB
True words of wisdom SB that definitely come from experience......the faster you go, the harder you fall. And the older you get, the more it hurts and takes much longer too heal.

If you can't handle or control high speed and power, you're just asking for a world of hurt.....just know that before you dive in too deep. Bigger isn't always better and that's a fact. A 79cc or 99cc is plenty big for all intents and purposes. Building a 49cc 4-stroke is a great way to figure out where you want to go with these machines, as are the 66cc china 2-strokes that can be built for very low cost and just get you hooked on the fun of all this. Have fun with your builds and enjoy the efforts of your labor when you're finally motoring around ;)

scotto-

Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
One of these two engines most likely gonna end up in a Dyno frame as a mid-class race build. The smaller on the left is a 196cc Greyhound, the one on the right, a 212cc Predator....both stock engines.

Also have the GX160 Honda that's currently on the tandem build. Decisions decisions? ;)

.wee.

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
One of these two engines most likely gonna end up in a Dyno frame as a mid-class race build. The smaller on the left is a 196cc Greyhound , the one on the right, a 212cc Predator....both stock engines.
I will help you on your decision if you want to race it in the Midrange class.
Use the 196cc Greyhound with the stock Carb and STOCK muffler.

I know that you said that you didn't have the original muffler but should not be hard to get one.

You can remove the governor and install stiffer valve springs and a billet flywheel but that is All the motor mods you are allowed to race it in the Midrange class.

Be prepared to dyno it too to prove your stock 6.5 HP motor makes ~ 8 HP with the governor removed.

It is affordable fun racing so seeing that you already have the motor you will get a special exception to race your oversized Stock 196 cc motor in another race class until science finally figures out how to clone us.

scotto-

Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Can you name the 3 heads? Not very likely. One is a Honda GX160, one is a 212cc HF Predator and one is a 196cc HF Greyhound. A good example of Honda and Honda clone engines......very similar and very interchangeable for the most part.

In order from left to right: Honda GX160, Greyhound 196cc and Predator 212cc.

Honda:

Greyhound:

Predator:

Three heads in a row!: