1903 Harley Tribute - Quick & Dirty

GoldenMotor.com

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
The 16 gauge tube needs to be at least 3" wide in order to get the tank straps centered on the top and bottom bars, I would take a few measurements between top and center bars but I would guess 3"x 4" for your build, Mine is 3" x 3" the center bar has to be really kinda perfectly level(same angle as top bar) and same height measurement front and back, when you think about all the time and $ you'll save it's the best smart way!

Again I like it! you are capturing that vintage and a very true look of the Harley very nicely!

PS don't cut to old existing down tube off the crank cup yet it could provide a nice motor mount brace and save more additional work later depending on what engine yer going with, leave that fer last

Last edited:

4you2eat

Oct 27, 2012
Spring Texas
I ordered 22ga metal. I figgered I could build a simple brake and do 4 bends and make it work with one 20" seam plus the caps and bungs. A good buddy of mine is a welding pro. He said We could do it like I imagined . So a 5 x 3 in tank is on tap. I was not able to source 5 x 3 thin enough to avoid anything less than 1/8in which would be too heavy. More pics to come tomorr

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
I hope you are watching the new episode of American Pickers they're supposed to have a 1911 Harley Davidson engine for mikes bike, little newer then your build but still you might find it interesting any way.

4you2eat

Oct 27, 2012
Spring Texas
Ok steel for tanks should be in today. Im leaning on making one bike a 1903 Harley Tribute and the second an Indian tribute. Below is the frame for the Indian. Below that pic shows the forks which I shall attempt a springer front w/ leaf spring like an Indian pictured at the bottom. Still scheming how, but I fugure I shall use 3/4" tubing for the fork brace and a 1 1/2" flat bar for the leaf. I figure I shall fabricate a plate from some flat bar for the hub mounting pivot. I shall fabricate it crudely using a sawzall, hacksaw, drill and a grinder.

i have the design for the Harley gas tank in my head and The Indian tank still needs to be figured out. Once the tanks are done, I will commence working on accessories and finishing the builds. I might get some video of the tank building if I have the time....more 2 come

Last edited:

4you2eat

Oct 27, 2012
Spring Texas
FINALLY, I will have the time, tools and materials to get on w/ the tanks. I have built a simple brake using some stuff lying around and some 2" angle. It is the middle of a frickin heat wave here in TX and it is the perfect time to be brazing in my garage. I just had to deal w/ the AC going out on my PT Cruiser so..trade in time.

So... tomorrow, I shall commence. Time to get these 2 builds in high gear. I decided to do one Harley tribute and one BSA tribute. Why ? because I bought stckers that say HD & BSA !!. Pics tomorrow of tank fab work, success or fail

4you2eat

Oct 27, 2012
Spring Texas
Ok.. been busy made my first tank. It was fun and it was a great learning experience. Used 22ga steel, brazed w/ oxy acetylene. Started w/ a 24x24" sheet, used a cardboard template, built a crude brake and bent the steel.. here goes:

Start...

bending...

Finished...

Rough fit on bike...

I'm thinking of filling the space under the motor w/ a muffler made from scratch and the space in front of the motor w/ a toolbox / oil reservoir. The look of the bike will be an unrestored look w/ lots of wear. Not super rusted / busted but unrestored and in fair condition. I shall get some brass sheet and add some touches.... more to come

Last edited: