Big Black Jack

GoldenMotor.com

Whamo

Apr 14, 2013
Charlottesville, VA
Those look awesome! Dare I ask, where do you look for such bikes? Browsing the local craigslist and keeping an eye on ebay offerings in the area has shown a lack of good bikes. Now, that might be because I'm not in a great area for such things or because I'm looking in the wrong place.

Are these for sale or more a "look at my cool stuff" kind of thing?

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
I do a lot of R&D from Google search just type in what your looking for and then click Images, for instatnce

1916 hawthrone bicycles, then click Images BAM! well most of the time BAM! Black Jack started out as a Gran Royale Union Flyer, seeing it's potential as a clone for that time period and style of the era, Dan and I decided to make the frame mods,tank,oil box expansion chamber,extented handle bars and trust rod forks, other non modifications are the Electra Amsterdam Cream colored tires,Gyes saddle, Real 1930's cream colored peddles and Velo Orange28"x52mm Zepplin fenders with leather mud splash gaurd on the front fender.
As I have said before the Gran Royale Union Flyer is TOP NOTCH QUALITY!! as a bicycle and especially for this vintage era style transformation/ M.B.

Last edited:

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
Painted the lower engine crank case today but not going to post pic's until complete,so here are a few pic's of some bikes I found thumbing around.
The engine is a Bowden Elec Wire.Co. bicycle engine and was put into production about the same time as the Shaw with 3 1/2 HP that mounted to the down tube of the bike.

Attachments

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
Put a second coat of paint on the crank case, I'll let it dry from today till next Mon as I'll be leaving town for the rest of the week and week end it should be nice and cured, hard as nails, the case sure is smooth! and I'm ready to get this build rolling again.

Last edited:

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
Couple of pic's I found, really cool vintage stuff, Going to get on the engine as soon as possible BUSY!!!week and week end, bought a new SUV for the wifey this weekend, WOW! I like too!

Attachments

Velodrome

May 27, 2011
Phoenix-ish
??? Fart Strainer ??? Quaint accessories they had back then. laff Im litterally DREAMING ( as in disturbed sleep )of doing a bike like this. The original style frames are available ( spensive but available ) And a tensioned leather belt drive would just scratch that itch!

Attachments

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
I've seen a couple of those lamps on Ebay but very pricey!as well as the handle bars, velo You can do and I'll bet it would be Damnn fine! the bike you'd want to start with is a Gran Royal Cogs Ville 3spd large frame

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
once again that old thing called work has got me busy so I haven't been able break the bike down,detail and catagorize like I'd like too for powder coating.
I'm not posting any 1,2,3 build shots of the engine till it's all together for the WOW! factor so I have been posting pic's of bikes I've found on the net that fit the style and era of this build.
My insperation for this build comes from Bairdco's build a while back and another one too but mostly Bairdco's first,thats when I fell in love with style bike, nothing say's it more period correctly than these bikes.

Attachments

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
I know that every body wants to see Black Jack in build progression but I have been so swamped and probably won't get the bike into powder coat until mid month but I promise it will be beautiful, so in the meen time here are some flash blacks into time.

Attachments

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
As I said in an earlier post I have been so busy!I haven't even broken him down for powder coating and I gotta go out town again next week for a rehab on an 1100 sqf house, sounds small but alot of work on this 50's ranch style home.
I will get back to Jack as soon as possible, I have a show to bring 4 bikes too Jack is one of them.