Possibly Destroyed HS 49cc!

GoldenMotor.com

Mr. Minecraft

Visionary
Jan 13, 2012
San Diego
Hiya Everyone. Let me try to explain what has happened.

Problem: The engine has been running off gas/very little oil to lubricate itself for about 4 months. I discovered this because today i was checking the oil and when i removed the plug, gas was POURING out of the reservoir. This means that the entire inside of the engine was full of gas.

Question: I am going to demand a new carb, but if there is any indication that the engine is damaged, shouldn't Phantom Bikes replace it for free? It was their carb that caused all this, although it was supposed to be better.

Edit: This happened because the carb flooded with gas and the gas went down the breather tube into the reservoir. An entire half tank of gas disappeared, and now i know where it went ;)

Last edited:

BigBlue

Nov 29, 2011
California
My guess is that your needle valve is stuck open, float has a leak, or the pin that holds the float to the lever fell out.

Remove the float bowl.

Good Luck,

Chris
AKA: BigBlue

Mr. Minecraft

Visionary
Jan 13, 2012
San Diego
On this bike we always have the petcock turned off. The funny thing is on my own bike I ALWAYS leave it on and I never have any problems.

Nashville Kat

Apr 20, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
My Speed carb on my 50 was doing this the other day- I rode it home several mikles by opening the petcock long enough to fill the bowl- closing it back down and using a bowl at a time-

I took the float bowl off- didn't really see any problems with the float or valve- and put it back together- haven't yet been out on it again-

hope it doesn't do it again- because I'd be a bit stymied- Had a split line another time and didn't realize it until after after fiddling with all else-

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Trash in the float needle will flood it everytime. I ALWAYS run an inline fuel filter in addition to the tank filter and I no longer have this happen. Cheap fix.

Mr. Minecraft

Visionary
Jan 13, 2012
San Diego
The bike has an online filter, and and I cleaned out the carb. The float does not have a leak. I how do I check to see if the needle is getting stuck because it still does this after I cleaned everything out.

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
Maybe I'm missing something, but how does the gas get past the piston into the crankcase? This is maybe something I should be aware to watch out for since I'm building a 4 stroke.

Mr. Minecraft

Visionary
Jan 13, 2012
San Diego
The carb flooded gas out into the air-filter, which drained down the breather tube into the crankcase because the breather tube is connected to the air-filter. A precaution i would recommend to you is to run a separate breather with a filter on it. This would make it so if you run into the problem I am having, at least the gas wont flood into the breather tube down to the crank case.

Like this:

https://www.affordablegokarts.com/m...ode=A&Product_Code=1506&Category_Code=MTRBK49

One of these can probably be made from breathers that they use on cars and some tubing. The original breather hose should work fine, and they have the filters at most auto parts stores.

They look like this:

http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/CatalogItemDetail.aspx?R=BK_7355986_0361173194

This is what I am going to do. Let me know what you guys think!

Peace!
-Chris

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
No pics yet, the frame is not quite a rolling chassis yet. I just got the front wheel on yesterday (bit of a challenge since I'm using motorcycle forks). I haven't found anything I'd like to use for a catch can yet. I want something with character, like a vintage beer bottle or a tin can or something cool like that.

freewheeling frank

Mar 10, 2009
ridgway colorado
i had a simalar problem,my carb just totally went to crap low jet plugged and needle valve leaking,had to clean the seat with a small wire as there was some kinda crap on it dont know what it was or wher it came from i do have a filter on it.i had crashed purty hard tho,it doesnt take much stuff on the seat to let er leak by.frank