Engine dies if I close choke

GoldenMotor.com

VTHokie

Dec 18, 2012
Virginia
Hey guys,
I've been running the bike consistently for about a week now and getting used to servicing everything. But, I still haven't been able to close the choke all the way without killing the engine. I'll even take it on a mile ride at 30% choke and try to close it all the way, only to hear the engine sputter out. I can close it to about 25% before it starts dying. I've read that air leaks can be a problem and so I installed an aftermarket O-ring between the carb and the intake. I've also noticed that my new airfilter has a blue tint to the bottom of it, indicating that fuel has been leaking into it. What could be causing all of this? I should be able to close the choke all the way without killing the engine, right? And my airfilter shouldn't be getting soaked in fuel, correct? I'm going to attach some pictures for reference.

Last edited:

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Could you possibly mean "open" the choke? If you "close" the choke the engine should die from lack of air. The choke is a restriction in the carburetor's air inlet and when it is closed or partially closed it 'chokes' off the air flow. The engine should only be started with full or partial choke then after a few moments the choke should be put to wide open and left there.

Fuel/oil will always be evident in the air filter of a 2 stroke engine. Because of the crankcase pressure that is momentarily released into the carburetor it spits back a little fuel mix with every revolution. That's just the nature of the beast.

Tom

Last edited:

VTHokie

Dec 18, 2012
Virginia
Ah OK don't ask me why, but I thought it was the opposite: choke should be fully closed after getting it started. On an NT carb, fully open is lever in the down position, correct?

thatguyjay

Nov 27, 2012
Sacramento
yep, down is wide open (you can take the air filter off and look for yourself). I was for some reason thinking the same thing about closing it off when it got going.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Ah OK don't ask me why, but I thought it was the opposite: choke should be fully closed after getting it started. On an NT carb, fully open is lever in the down position, correct?
Correct. Lever down is choke open if you have the NT carburetor.
When the choke is closed, or 'on' it reduces or 'chokes' the amount of air mixing with the fuel to give you and over rich condition that often helps start a cold engine. When the engine starts and has run for a short time, usually only a few seconds to warm, the choke lever should be moved to the down or 'off', choke open, position to allow the maximum amout of air to be drawn in by the engine and mixed with the fuel charge for the engine to run normally.

The Chinese 2 stroke, commonly referred to as the HT, or China Girl, is a strange little engine in that they are all different in what they require for easy starting. Some like a lot of, or full choke, some like only a little or none at all. The so called tickler, or primer button is another way to offer the engine that fuel rich condition. It simply sinks the float in the carburetor bowl and allows more fuel to be taken in for starting.

Hope this helps and explains the issue for you.

Tom

racie35

Nov 17, 2012
usa
think of it this way......how long could you stay kicking if choked all the way?