The Skyhawk GT frame build

GoldenMotor.com

Dogtown Burner

Sep 15, 2011
Los Angeles
Not sure about who makes the frame, but we know that Grubee does not actually make the motor, just imports them.

And I really want a frame that is much higher quality than a Grubee (or any HT) 2 stroke, lol.

That being said, I love the build, I think it looks great! Excellent work.
thank you. and I spoke with Don, that is his frame.. they manufacture them. and yes, it is very high quality. I think I am the only person using one as a race bike, and it is heads above the rest. look at the scfta race video on arrowmotorizedcycles facebook.

dmb

Dec 4, 2010
lakewood ca
what are the spec's on the alloy? i don't think it's t-6 [could be wrong] but i've seen the rear drops crushed on one pretty bad. very nice looking though. what's the race ready weight?

Last edited:

JimsFelt66

Jul 17, 2012
California
It's not exclusively a
"4 stroke" frame. Notice the engine sits snugly in the V saddle. And front wheel distance? That's purely a cosmetic choice in frame style and has no impact or effect on performance.

Perhaps whoever turned you onto the frame was simply doing you the favor of having the ability of putting in a 4-stroke motor vs being stuck with a 2-stoke had you purchased the other frame. If they didn't have that conversation with you, shame on them.

Maybe your longer wheelbase setup doesn't effect performance, maybe it does. I'm not a race bike expert. Though in automobiles, you don't want it. On the cosmetic side, I'm on the fence about the frame, every build I've seen fails to hit my buy button, proportion's are off.

Here's a 2 stoke build on the GT2-A (2-stoke frame)

So, here are the specs for the two different frames. 2-stroke specifc and the 4-stoke/2-stoke frame

SkyHawk Aluminum Bike Frame GT2-A for 48cc / 66cc
Features:

Built-in 2.4L gas tank
Pedestal front mount allows fitting of all 2 cycle bike engines with either 40 or 50mm front mount stud spacing
26" frame made especially heavy duty for gas engine applications
Available with 135mm rear frame width for either single speed or multi-speed bikes
38mm diameter downtube 70 degrees angle V frame
Material: Aluminum - No gas tank rusting
No other bike frame in the world is especially made for motorization
Seat post angle allows for level carburetor
Big bottom hole for 1 piece pedal crank
Net weight 6.5 lbs; Gross weight 10.50 lbs; Dimension (box) 43.70 in x 6.50 in x 22.24 in

SkyHawk Aluminum Alloy Bike Frame GT2A-S for 48cc / 66cc 2 Cycle and 4 Cycle

No pedestal mount
Features:

Built-in 2.4L gas tank
Designed for the late style 2-cycle engines with 50mm wide front mount stud spacing, and also accepts 4-cyle engines
26" frame made especially heavy duty for gas engine applications
Available with 135mm rear frame width for either single speed or multi-speed bikes
38mm diameter downtube 70 degrees angle V frame
The GT2S-A frame is made for the new 203 brg engines with the 50mm wide front mount stud spacing for big downtubes. This frame is not to be used with older 2 cycle engines with 40mm wide stud spacing at front mount No other bike frame in the world is especially made for motorization
Seat post angle allows for level carburetor
Big bottom hole for 1 piece pedal crank
Material: Aluminum - No gas tank rusting
Net weight 6.5 lbs; Gross weight 10.50 lbs; Dimension (box) 43.70 in x 6.50 in x 22.24 in
Straight rear drop outs for easy chain tightening.
Cable eyelets for securing all cables.
50mm OD x 43mm ID stem

Velodrome

May 27, 2011
Phoenix-ish
I really like these frames. To me they look every bit as good as Felt tank frames. Its like getting a Felt Canvas and not having to screw with drilling and sealing the "tank".

nastygramus

Feb 25, 2011
NE illinois
hey guys stumbled across this picture of my bike in progress ( i will go back and read thru the thread to see whats the chit chat is about ) wanted to share a updated picture

MitchP

Oct 6, 2012
Santa Rosa, CA
The paint... The bloody paint will not stay on the frame. I will wait for it to wear enough that's it worth it to buy a bunch more spray paint or maybe EVEN use an airbrush.

PLEASE FOLKS BUY PRIMER.

MitchP

Oct 6, 2012
Santa Rosa, CA
No :( pistonbikes said it has a combo primer/anti oxidizer and someone told me it's Alodine, another primer. Having nothing else to tinker with I went ahead and painted.

JonnyR

May 13, 2012
ronkonkoma, new york
use a etching primer for best results its for aluminum and clean it down first with wax and grease remover it cleans everything that will screw your paint up from dirt to the grease from your fingers from toughing the frame

Normanito

Jul 28, 2012
Liberty Hill
Rustoleum has an "Industrial" line. They sell primer specific to aluminium in white and grey. I used it with awesome results. My top coat was worse than the damn $6 can of primer.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
I like this frame too. Looks like a really easy build. It has everything you want. Built in motor mounts. Posts for V brakes. In frame fuel tank.

For racing it looks great. For a good looking show off, street bike, it looks a little short between the seat post, to the dropouts, but that's a minor nit.

I'm pretty sure some day I'll build one of these.

Dogtown Burner

Sep 15, 2011
Los Angeles
I like this frame too. Looks like a really easy build. It has everything you want. Built in motor mounts. Posts for V brakes. In frame fuel tank.

For racing it looks great. For a good looking show off, street bike, it looks a little short between the seat post, to the dropouts, but that's a minor nit.

I'm pretty sure some day I'll build one of these.
yeah, the a$$ end shortness sort of guided me in the direction of a fat 24" rear wheel.

urbanmonk

Nov 18, 2012
victoria canada
hey, Dogtown Burner:

I love your race build and I am wondering what part you used to get a rear disk calliper to fir the back of the skyhawk frame. Is that a part you can buy anywhere as I a in the process of ordering the same frame and want to run disk brakes as well.

thanks

Last edited:

Dogtown Burner

Sep 15, 2011
Los Angeles
hey, Dogtown Burner:

I love your race build and I am wondering what part you used to get a rear disk calliper to fir the back of the skyhawk frame. Is that a part you can buy anywhere as I a in the process of ordering the same frame and want to run disk brakes as well.

thanks
hey man thanks for the compliments. it means a lot. we worked on this thing for 6 months. the rear assembly was tough to say the least. that was most of the 6 months, aside from the engine. and pipe. lol but the caliper mount was made by Dave Rust of arrow motorized cycles. call him up. I highly doubt he'd want to do it. I put him through **** with this one. the tolerances are like 2 thousandths. its all a very tight squeeze, and took some serious work. then again, he may just bang one out for you. But finding the single speed rear disc hub, threading the spokes, mounting the top hat with the right offset, sprocket spacers, and caliper bracket comes first

good luck!!

Dogtown Burner

Sep 15, 2011
Los Angeles
newer shots. my shoulder is healing and i'm already itching for the april 6 race, NEIL!!dnut

And to answer the $ questions from all the phone calls, here's a little list of what you'd be looking at if you built one of these. except the prices have dropped over at gasbike, so you'd be in better shape than I was..

Frame $399. (yes! I paid 399 a month before they dropped it to $189! :-||)
Engine $189
Darcy Dacoste Racing engine mods $559
exhaust $160
Carburetor $70
wheels $100
tires $100
rear hub $70
top hat and sprocket $70
chains $40
Crank $80
BB $20
Front disc hub $50
Front brakes $70
levers $30
seatpost $30
Seat $30
Pedals $30
Cables, ends, zip ties, yada ydada, $30
grips $20
Bars $30
forks $95
stem $20
Add shipping and tax, and you have a rough estimate. I think!

Labor and creative help from Rob, Greg, and Most of all Dave Rust: Priceless
My Labor: frustrating and fun

I hope to see more of these out there.

...or not

Attachments

Last edited:

MitchP

Oct 6, 2012
Santa Rosa, CA
Hey Dogtown,

Did you let the funky gold stuff just wear off the frame? It looks silver, which I like, it reminds me of ww2 bomber planes.