Nexus inter3 rules!

GoldenMotor.com

bowljoman

Aug 7, 2010
Wa
Hey guys. I realized talked alot of smack when ever I saw somebodies build that came close to a particular configuration that I felt would benefit from what I thought was a simple addition, or that I figured Chinese CVT's as three times the purchase price to maintain for a thousand miles. I dunno if its that I've added the IGH's into my own power-trains a few times or what, but I love them and decided I should avoid the forums until I could be less of a dick.

And so yeah, I talk about my ideas alot around the net and finally threw down some cash to fulfill my vision. Well, at least to 90% completion that is.

So I bought one of these. http://kickbikeamerica.com/mrktng/sub_pages/crossmax.html

And of couse the IHG here http://www.niagaracycle.com/product_info.php?products_id=5522

And Threw'em together. It rides like a dream! Shifts are smooth. Kills the hills! Handles the load with WOT in 3rd. This is the third build in a series using the nexus tranny. Ill post some pics of the old tranny's condition after a thousand+ miles.

At any rate, Enjoy the pics! Notice how two bars of flat stock is all it takes to throw this bad boy into play. This tired old motor has 3000+ miles on it but can still make 42mph with all original parts. I hope I can chill out and enjoy my own realized design and inspire others with some of its simplicity. Cheers!

Attachments

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Where's the seat and pedals? Gonna be a real lowrider by the looks of it.

On the contrary, I put a Nexus 3-spd w/disc-brake on a tandem, powered by a Kawasaki 124cc 4-stroke and toasted it in one day of racing at Willow Springs. It worked great for one day......

dnut

bowljoman

Aug 7, 2010
Wa
Where's the seat and pedals? Gonna be a real lowrider by the looks of it.

On the contrary, I put a Nexus 3-spd w/disc-brake on a tandem, powered by a Kawasaki 124cc 4-stroke and toasted it in one day of racing at Willow Springs. It worked great for one day......

dnut

You gotta use them as a jack shaft and bump up the rpms that are transmitted. It may last longer spinning 1000 -2000 rpms like I do.

124cc may be pushing past the limit when its geared down into the rear rim as a hub. Is that the innards of the inter3 that torker uses for the trikes? I thouhgh I detonated one befor but the chain just popped off.

bowljoman

Aug 7, 2010
Wa
How did yours break? Did you upshift at high rpms or mis-shift past 2nd into 3rd? Or a combination of the two untill it just gave out?

All my shifts are with the engine rpms under 4000. I bet your tranny locked up in 3rd gear after a down shift and when it finally popped, you had already gunned it. INteresting to hear.

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
How did yours break? Did you upshift at high rpms or mis-shift past 2nd into 3rd? Or a combination of the two untill it just gave out?

All my shifts are with the engine rpms under 4000. I bet your tranny locked up in 3rd gear after a down shift and when it finally popped, you had already gunned it. INteresting to hear.
No missed shifts, it didn't lock up in any gear, it just started spinning freely instead of upshifting to the next gear. I didn't abuse it by poor shifting, it just couldn't handle the power the 124cc had to offer and it was geared properly by me. To whimpy for the application.....that's all.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Who needs gears anyway? Gimme one gear, and a manual clutch. 40T for a 48cc, and 36T for 80cc. If you got a 24 x 3 tire run a 34T on a 80cc.

Just do what I say and no one gets hurt.

:confused::confused::crash:

bowljoman

Aug 7, 2010
Wa
The reason why mine have never busted yet is that I spin them up a heck of a lot faster.

Rotational Power is a product of torque and angular velocity.

Engine output:
power = foot-pounds * rotations/second

The hub has a Max torque it can handle. So input your power.

Input torque to tranny:

foot-pounds input = power / (rotations/second)

By increasing the RPM's of the transmission, closer to the actual engine speed rather than geared down as a hub within 26 inch tire, you can multiply the maximum capacity of the transmission. It is a direct relation.

My IGH spins at between 1000 and 2000 rpm.

I just about have the old one cleaned up to show a pic of the condition the teeth are in after a 1000 miles.

I must admit 124 cc is very ambitious, but there must have been a spark of hope that it would hold up for you. Try again with the tricycle tranny. There is even a sturmey archer dual sprocket tranny for those who prefer.

d_gizzle

May 29, 2012
ARDMORE,OK
That's not the one,even though that's the cheapest I've seen that hub. I'm talking about this one. Its the only one that sturmey archer sells that is for trikes and freewheels.

http://www.sturmey-archer.com/products/hubs/cid/6/id/44

The one you showed is a IGH with a coaster brake with the dual sprocket added for trikes. I almost have to have the freewheel option. I'm doing something like your kickbike but with a four stroke 'in frame' setup.