What's the best carb?

GoldenMotor.com

chrisme

May 30, 2009
Maine
The carb on my engine is getting very old, and it's worn out.
The place where the needle rides on the copper thing on the float has worn through, and the needle seat is completely buggered up. It keeps flooding, etc.
I'm surprised it's lasted 5 years.

Anyway, now that I'm looking for a new carb, what should I get? I know there's a lot of junk out there. I'm leaning toward just getting the NT80 with the red filter and fuel valve, is that a good one? Or should I just get the old style NT with the black air filter, like what I have now.

Also, I need piston rings and a jug again. The filter leaks crap past it and ruins those parts every other year. I think last time I bought all that stuff from zoombikes. But they don't sell head gaskets now, it seems. So where can I buy all that stuff (carb, head gasket, rings, and jug) all in one order?

Oh, and don't tell me King's. I'm sure they have all the parts. But it's a story I don't want to get into here.

chrisme

May 30, 2009
Maine
Oh they have all sorts of cool stuff now! Haven't been to their site since the shifter kit was first coming out.
They don't sell carbs, though. And that's my main quest.

Mozenrath

Jan 13, 2011
California
I don't have much experience with different carbs since I've only ever used the stock NTTC carb, which has worked great for me anyway.

After being on this forum long enough, it seems like the general favor goes towards the Dellorto and Dax's RT carb(both of which are supposedly very similar). But I have no personal experience with them.

If you want the whole order along with a carb, you could try thatsdax.com.

Rocky_Motor

Nov 14, 2011
Fort Collins & Boulder
I have thatsdax's carb. It's really quite awesome. It even made the bike sound much throatier at idle with the little brrap's. That's my recommendation. You'll need to rejet it, most likely leaner. He includes a 70 and an 80 while the 75 is already installed I believe.

chrisme

May 30, 2009
Maine
Thanks for the input. I remember looking at that carb a while ago, wondering if it was any good. I'll wait for other input, but between you mentioning it here, and reading it elsewhere on this forum. I may jump for it.

Tohri

Aug 28, 2010
People's Republik of Massachusetts
Save frustration and get a REAL sha 16.16 off treatland.
https://www.treatland.tv/dellorto-SHA-16-16-p/dellorto-sha-16.16-lever-2151.htm

This is the Best Carb. Pick up a couple of jets in the high 60's range. Jet high, then jet down depending on your plug color. Once it gets to a tan or copper color after a good top speed run down the road with the engine cut dead at full throttle at the end of it, check the plug tip's color.

I would also reccomend a treatland Hi Hi 70cc head. Might need to drill out the stud holes, but it's a fantastic reliability upgrade from the stock head.

chrisme

May 30, 2009
Maine
As much as I'd like to, I'm really, really broke right now. I just need my bike running as it's my primary form of transportion at the moment. I've actually sold my nice daily driver, so now I just have my rally car (which is worth pretty much nothing), and my MB. So with gas prices and stuff, I'm short on cash. So my MB is basically a saviour in my life at the moment... The NT is working, just painful to use now. So hopefully I can get this running cheaply.

chrisme

May 30, 2009
Maine
So I got the RT on today. I had to go down to a jet somewhere in the 60's. I don't know exactly which size, I have a box of jets, and that one worked the best.
It has much, much better throttle response, and it runs fairly well at high RPMs with decent higher RPM hill climbing power.
Though, it does have its faults. The only way to tune the carb is with jet size change, so I chose the jet size to work best at the top 75% to 100% throttle. I do lots of long distance riding, just because I'm in the middle of nowhere, most of it is fast.
The issue is that there's no fine tune, so now I've actually lost some low speed low end torque.
If I were to have this problem on a slide carb, like the NT, I'd go a size bigger jet, and move the clip up on the needle a spot or two. That would give more low end (bigger jet, more fuel), but lean it up enough on the top end to run fine.

It's an odd design of carburetor, I haven't run across one like it before. So the first thing I did is completely take it apart to figure out how it works. It's very simple, but what it needs is the top hole in the tube behind the slide to be slightly smaller.