Why Some People Hate Bikers

GoldenMotor.com

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Watched one minute...that was enough to laugh out loud at his stupidity for the sake of "being cool".

He wants adrenaline? How about the ultimate rush 1 second before someone changes lanes in front of him....followed by a thump, grinding and splattering sounds and a funeral.
:)

OG-Whizzerdude

Nov 28, 2011
Blythe, CA
Geese!! I wish I could be those guys! Looks like a major adrenalin rush to me. Problem is at my age the balls don’t clank when I walk anymore.
Old too soon. Smart too late.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I saw another one of these vids a while back with several of the crotch-rocket riders doing the backwards wheelies thing at stop lights. One of them misjudged and rear ended the other ones. About four or five of them ended up in a pile on the steet.
I chuckled and said, "There is justice in the world, sometimes".

Tom

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
I've seen too many guys like that. In Cleveland, when traffic on I-90 would get thick and slow coming out of Dead Man's Curve (called that for a reason) around rush hour, there would always be motorcyclists on crotch-rockets gunning up the shoulder because they thought they could get away with it.
I was there one day, in a white '79 Trans Am, waiting in traffic when stupidity proved dangerous. The fellow on the passenger side of an ancient beater car opened his door (probably to spit out some chew) just as I heard a screaming engine from behind. The bike stopped when it hit the door, which looked like it came mostly off. I never found out what happened to the biker.

OG-Whizzerdude

Nov 28, 2011
Blythe, CA
Yup, those kids are straight up nuts but they sure can ride. Bet they are exhausted if they make it home.
I read the mad scientists quote. My dilemma became glaringly apparent. I need to put a stock engine in the bobber and build a racer with the hot rod engine.
With my income, this is going to be a long range deal. With my obsessive compulsive disorder it will get done eventually. LOL.

Sidewinder Jerry

Dec 19, 2011
Rockwood, TN
Most of my local police know me. They know and I obey all the laws totally. That's why they never brother me. I've got mirrors, ( head, brake, tail and signal lights) and a horn. I'm not required to have these things but have them for my personal safety.

OG-Whizzerdude

Nov 28, 2011
Blythe, CA
I put all that street safety stuff on my Whizzer bobber build too. I like to ride at night in the desert here if I’m familiar with the road surface. I had a heck of a time wiring all that stuff. It took weeks to figure it all out but it is all working now except the tachometer. I’ll get that right someday.
My front turn signals plug into the ends of the bars and shine to the front and rear. Running the wires inside the bars was easy, getting them back out at the neck not so easy but it is a much cleaner look than a bunch of zip ties. I like the set up much better than what is on my stock whizzer. I’m one of those guys that always uses the turn signals and then forgets to turn them off. With the bar end lights that don’t happen because they are right at the end of the grips and you can see your hands blinking.
I put two Arlen Ness tier drop mirrors on it. Very nice to look at but not so nice to look out of. I can’t see much at all out of those mirrors. It’s a good thing I can still turn my neck both ways. The rear turn signals are bullet lights mounted close to the rear axle. I don’t know if they are mounted legally but they are there and working. I have a Model “A” tail light mounted to the sissy bar. I think I’ll have to change that location if I get it registered. The plate won’t fit on the sissy bar.
I am also a firm believer that loud pipes save lives. If they are close enough to cream you out they can hear you coming and going. I’d rather have those Sunday drivers hate me than kill me.

Sidewinder Jerry

Dec 19, 2011
Rockwood, TN
We have a three foot law here in Tennessee. Of course some people don't know the difference between three feet and a few inches. I put a Police Protective Fund sticker on the back of my bike. That has really seem to help. Until a car gets close to me the most visible word is "POLICE". All the police give me a wave as they pass by because they know I give money to help them out.

OG-Whizzerdude

Nov 28, 2011
Blythe, CA
Sounds like this hobby is pretty well geezered up. I'm going to be 67 in July myself. I built my first Whizzer when I was 14 with the help of my soon to be brother in law. I think he was about 19 then. He worked in a speed shop and he was very talented. He made a nice pipe for me with a big megaphone at the end, no baffle. It was so loud the customers on my early morning paper route started calling my boss about it.
It had no peddles on it. I had to run alongside the bike and then hop on and let go of the compression release to start it. No problem for a 14 year old. I don’t think I can run that fast anymore. My brother in law made a set up just like a motorcycle. He threaded a piece of stock and used the bottom bracket races to mount it. He slipped a brake pedal over the stock he used in there and made some linkage to go to the rear drum. No front brake. After it was painted candy apple red, (that was a new color back then) just like his BSA I put the yoke from the Schwinn springer in backwards. It raked out the front end and I thought that was pretty cool. He thought so too but advised me I was going to kill myself if I left it that way. At 14 I was invincible so I left it that way. I don’t know what model Whizzer engine I had but it seemed pretty fast. It had some serious ape hangers on it to make it even more unstable. At top speed it went into a speed wobble every time. I would have to slow down to almost a stop to make it stop wobbling.
I had to drop out of the hobby to go to work and raise a family but I knew I would get back into it someday. When the new Whizzers came out I jumped right back into it. At my age life has kicked me in the teeth a few times as well. This hobby will take my mind off of things when I’m in the man cave either planning or doing all the time. I now have joy in my life again. My new wife doesn’t mind me indulging myself like that. She comes and hangs out for awhile and gives me words of encouragement sometimes. She has ridden with me on my stock bike and she loves it so I guess that bike is hers now.
Flatheads forever!!! Jim