Built Motor Help!!

GoldenMotor.com

Mobbin'Deep

Apr 16, 2010
Far away from home
Hi guys im building my Gt-5 Skyhawk 66cc with german bearings and new everything hi comp head etc etc....i just recievied my new crank from GASBIKE....but it looks different than my old one, no balance plates...and the piston skirt hits the actual crank weights, it wont complete a revolution...Here is a pic, im trying to find out what i have, and what i need instead... thanks guys

Mobbin'Deep

Apr 16, 2010
Far away from home
Naw its probably my fault. Ive been outa the game for a while so i only looked at pistonbikes.com and gasbike.net for a crank. Pistonbikes was outa stock. I know i coulda probibly called pirate, but im in cali and wanted to keep it close so i can finish this damn thing soon.

nightcruiser

Mar 25, 2011
USA
I am wondering if maybe a 48cc crank and a 66cc crank are different and you got the wrong one?

I know there are a couple versions of the crank, some with more parts and screws than others...

I think your best bet is to just call Gasbike and let them know what is going on and ask them if they have a crank to exchange that will work with what you got...

killercanuck

Dec 17, 2009
Wallaceburg ON
Yea, there's three piece cranks(with the removable weights) and one piece cranks. There's different connecting rod lengths in some engines to match up with different wrist pin heights in certain pistons. You'd think the GT-5 would be somewhat standardized, eh? I'd give them a call and see if they can help you out.

gl.

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
What most people dont realize is that there are dozens of factories in China that make these engine kits, & they are all made a little different... It's almost always the case that engine parts are not interchangeable with each other.

I'm constantly getting calls from customers asking for replacement pistons & other engine parts; & I have to explain to them that it's going to be very hard to find (from any vendor) a part that guaranteed to fit their engine. :(

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
I've got one of those cranks. I'll check it for you tomorrow and let you know what's going on with it.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas

The problem appears to be your piston. The wrist pin is too high up. All of my China Girl pistons have the wrist pin closer to the botton of the skirt. Yours looks to be more toward the middle of the piston.

Between these two cranks there's no difference between the stroke, or the rod length. There are several other differences though.

For the sake of discription we'll refer to the crank with the fly weights that bolt on to the fly wheel as old style, and the crank with one piece fly wheels like yours, new style.

The main differences I measured are,

The overall width,

Old style crank, 105 mm. New style 101 mm

Crank pin width,

Old style 11 mm, New style 10 mm.

crank pin diameters are the same

On the power side of the crank, the shaft legnth is the same on both cranks, 42.5 mm. On the magnito side the shaft on the old style is 1 mm longer. 32 mm vs 31 mm for the new style.

Overall weight. This will vary slightly because the bolt on style fly weights vary in weight somewhat. I've seen as much as about 10 g difference on the bolt on fly weights I have. I'm not sure about the new style cranks because I've only looked at one.

Total weight,

Old style 1574 g, New style 1392 g

Overall fly wheel diameter,

Old style 90 mm. New style 89 mm.

Last edited:

Mobbin'Deep

Apr 16, 2010
Far away from home
Hey guys thanks for all the responses. i was considering just notching the piston skirt so it will work, but i think il just give em a call on monday to see if i can get the right parts.

Ibedayank

Oct 29, 2011
Columbia Tennessee
theres 2 pistons for the 66cc motors one for the super rat and another for the GT5 there is .120 of a inch in the wristpin heights

notching the skirts will not help as the piston hits the head if its not the right one