The start of my second build

GoldenMotor.com

Kestrel Motors Inc.

Oct 18, 2011
Nebraska
Well, I had a pretty productive day today! I made a mount for my front fender and took my clutch down the local machinist's shop and he bored it out to my engine's shaft size. Then tonight I filed a key way in it. Then I found a mini bike that used to be my uncle's and salvaged some sick parts off of it. I got two mechanical disc brakes and a throttle handle. I also put my new white walls on so I could find out if my belt will clear the tire. If I do say so myself, the tires look awesome! Here's the pictures of the back wheel, the brake, and the clutch. Thanks for all the input guys, it actually means a lot to me.

Kestrel Motors Inc.

Oct 18, 2011
Nebraska
Well, I decided to put my clutch on my jack-shaft. I bought a "cultivator bearing" at the store and it was PERFECT for my jack-shaft. I'm running a gear on my engine and a chain to my shaft. Here's the pictures, just tell me what you think!

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
Your clutch won't engage or work by driving the clutch bell. Ya gotta drive the clutch innards with the engine . Ya need a belt clutch and a pully on the motor to do this jackshaft.
I much perfer belt primary anyway. Chains are noisy and wear quickly bending such tight radius at high engine speeds.

I like belt secondary too. So easy to throw off the belt with no tools, if ya want or need to pedal with no drive train drag at all.

Great idea on using those bearings to fab a jackshaft.

Last edited:

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Wayne is right the clutch shoes won't exspand out unless you drive the shaft. Belt drive is quieter................Curt

Kestrel Motors Inc.

Oct 18, 2011
Nebraska
Yes, you guys are correct, I didn't think it through all the way. All I have to do though is put the clutch on the engine and the gear on the shaft. I get how the clutches work, but I guess my brain was somewhere in left field... Anyway, thanks for reminding me anyway!

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Everything looks right except the sproket and pully sizeses. I think you need a bigger sproket and a smaller pully to get the gearing right. The way you have it it is steping up the ratio small to big it should be big to small.........I think there is a grar calculater on the forum some were maybe someone else can help if they know the right sizeses off the top of the head. I would have sit and figure it all out( kind of forgot)..........Curt

Kestrel Motors Inc.

Oct 18, 2011
Nebraska
Been working on the bike this week. Finally got the blasted thing test ridden! Took me about three days of working to get all the kinks worked out, but it's all mechanically sound now! Rode it almost 10 miles yesterday with now hiccups, I'd call that a "done" (or as done as you can be with a motorbike) in my book. It needs a new paintjob though. So I am in the process of tearing down/ repainting. Progress so far:

Kestrel Motors Inc.

Oct 18, 2011
Nebraska
The build is finally "finished"! I got it all painted and put back together today. Just in time for the Father's Day "Rod Run" in town. I personally think that the blue is an improvement. Let me know what you guys think!

My dad did the seat for me