I need a 52'' throttle cable

GoldenMotor.com

Willyam911

Mar 8, 2009
Houston, Tx
I am putting some ape hanger bars on a schwinn beach cruiser. The stock cable isnt long enough. I just need a few more inches. I need at least 52''. I found some that are 80'' online and also I found a 48''. The 80 seems like it would be way to long aesthetically. I was thinking about just splicing in a section of cable to my existing cable but I think that would look like crap. Anyone know where I can get a cable and housing for a factory NT style carb at least 52'' but not longer than say 60''? Is there a way I could get the 80 and cut it down and not look like crap? /shrug

please help
:-||

thegnu

Sep 15, 2011
freedom pa
check out normans video on how to shorten , or in your case lengthen a throttle cable , IT WORKS LIKE A DREAM , you wont regret it .
all you would esentially need is a brake cable long enough to reach .
Gary

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
Walmart has a cable tune up kit I think they call it. Has all the cables on a multispeed bike. There is an uncut derail cable that must 72+ inches long. Made the throttle cable for my recumbent FD with the engine over the rear tire, a long way. The whole set cost 6 bucks and theres a bunch of cables left for future use.

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama
When looking for a cable for a HT carburetor, the throttle uses a brake cable and not a shifting cable. The end on the brake cable fits the throttle, as the shifting cable has a small end and can/will slip out of the throttle housing holder.

Willyam911

Mar 8, 2009
Houston, Tx
Thanks for all the tips guys. I think I am gonna go ahead and try to make a longer cable. This whole time I was thinking about making the twist throttle end of the cable, I never thought about making the carb end. Looks pretty simple and I think I even have an extra cable sitting around somewhere. Ill get it done here in the next couple of days and post some pics.

thanks a bunch
dance1

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
When looking for a cable for a HT carburetor, the throttle uses a brake cable and not a shifting cable. The end on the brake cable fits the throttle, as the shifting cable has a small end and can/will slip out of the throttle housing holder.
There are double ended with both types of barrels, you just select the one you want and cut the other off, I have also used these as brake cables.

Stoney

Jan 23, 2009
santa barbara
If I may ask a dumb question since you're talking about throttle cables, I bought 2 89.00 Tanaka's 33 and the one I installed on the bike is not performing as it should- no performance (posted in two stroke please view) so How do I remove the cable from the engine where I am able to install the cable on the new engine (If someone doesn't chime in and knows how to invigorate the one on there now). As stupid as it sounds, I can't get the cable out and I don't want to damage the cable trying to get the cable out (because I know that I can get it out!!!)
Thank you

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama
If I may ask a dumb question since you're talking about throttle cables, I bought 2 89.00 Tanaka's 33 and the one I installed on the bike is not performing as it should- no performance (posted in two stroke please view) so How do I remove the cable from the engine where I am able to install the cable on the new engine (If someone doesn't chime in and knows how to invigorate the one on there now). As stupid as it sounds, I can't get the cable out and I don't want to damage the cable trying to get the cable out (because I know that I can get it out!!!)
Thank you
Looking at pictures, which are not clear (post a picture of where the cable hooks to the carburetor), I would think the carburetor has to be removed, then ease the cable off. I know that quite a few small engines are set up that way.

Is this what your carburetor looks like...if so you most likely need to remove the carburetor first.

Last edited:

Outrunner

Dec 27, 2008
Atlanta, Georgia
I am putting some ape hanger bars on a schwinn beach cruiser. The stock cable isnt long enough. I just need a few more inches. I need at least 52''. I found some that are 80'' online and also I found a 48''. The 80 seems like it would be way to long aesthetically. I was thinking about just splicing in a section of cable to my existing cable but I think that would look like crap. Anyone know where I can get a cable and housing for a factory NT style carb at least 52'' but not longer than say 60''? Is there a way I could get the 80 and cut it down and not look like crap? /shrug

please help
:-||
it's as simple as going to the closest motorcycle dealer or repair shop and
have them make a cable for you. Make sure that you bring your old throttle
cable with you, so they can measure the inner travel length. :)