real hard to start

GoldenMotor.com

thegnu

Sep 15, 2011
freedom pa
Hey , today I had mine running took 3 trips up an down the street to make it catch but it caught brought it back inside the garage an was trying to get it to idle as low as possible heres what it was doing , engine was making lots of noise pinging an some almost metal on metal sounds is this normal for a fresh motor ? then as it ran things started to quiet down an I got it to begin to idle preety even maybe a lil low but holding , it stalled restarted rather easy ran for a bit then stalled again so , back out in the street for a half hour it tried an tried but refused to catch . I let it cool checked the plug for spark , got that, the plug has a medium gray color not the nice tan you would like but still not bad an its dry so no flooding condition. the fuel mix is 3 ounces to a gallon using lucas 2 stroke synthetic .
it seemed like my fuel line got real soft from the heat so I am changing that out with a different one just for safety .
any one who coud help me out here I am just a lil baffeled , thinking why wont it run now ? (scratching my head )

Ibedayank

Oct 29, 2011
Columbia Tennessee
breakin on a ht should be 16-1 for the first 2 tanks
no ping or TINK should be heard
use NON ethonol gas or make D... sure your oil is made for it as the ethonol can and will wash regular 2cycle oil right off leaving the metal bare

being 16-1 mix is 8ounces to a gallon you may want to pull the head and cylinder and check for damage like scored walls and a melted piston

Last edited:

thegnu

Sep 15, 2011
freedom pa
so i could have wasted my top end possibly more , I new i should have mixed more oil in it , now i feel really dumb. .... ok beyond that .
tomorrow morning pulling off the head for a look see, got my fingers crossed.
thanks
Gary

dmb

Dec 4, 2010
lakewood ca
if it was smokin its prob ok, clay the head to check clearance if you think the piston is hitting the head[prob not] if its a nt carb pull the choke all the way up then down just a little for air with the throttle wide open. its a good idea to check float level and needle seat. some guys use 100-1 or 50-1 from the start and swear by it. some of the carbs [red aircleaner] are junk and wont idle and run good at the same time. start them with the choke lever pulled all the way and the throttle closed till it hits. set the idle high and let the motor run for 2 or 3 min shut off let it cool down do this till your sick of doing it. then cruze it 10 min 15min it should get better each time. if you pull the head replace the acorns you could pull the studs out! good luck dennis

thegnu

Sep 15, 2011
freedom pa
Here is what I found an still have to find , when I tore this motor down after it arrived every thing was intact , now what I cannot figure out is this the piston is mildly scored on the exhaust side below the rings , see the pic. an on the intake side I am now missing a peice of the cylinder skirt also see pic . The only thing that I can figure is there must have been a crack there that I could not see or feel an the stress of must have running broken it out so I am tearing it all down again to find that peice , it has to be in the crankcase. then ordering a new top end .

Attachments

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama
Here is what I found an still have to find , when I tore this motor down after it arrived every thing was intact , now what I cannot figure out is this the piston is mildly scored on the exhaust side below the rings , see the pic. an on the intake side I am now missing a peice of the cylinder skirt also see pic . The only thing that I can figure is there must have been a crack there that I could not see or feel an the stress of must have running broken it out so I am tearing it all down again to find that peice , it has to be in the crankcase. then ordering a new top end .
I feel the same...must of been a defective jug.

F_Rod81

Dealer
Jan 1, 2011
Denver, CO
Ouch that sucks, shouldn't be too hard to fix. If your motor is still new and within the 6 month period I'd do all that you can to have the vendor replace or send the jug for free.

Where did you get your motor?

Did you pay with paypal?

thegnu

Sep 15, 2011
freedom pa
every thing else deep in the motor seems fine after dissasembly no over heated bearings an such , just the hug an piston problem , now waiting on parts AGAIN , an I guarantee I will never make a mix mistake like that ever again .
Gary

thegnu

Sep 15, 2011
freedom pa
I already spoke to pistonbikes they told me to give them a parts list an he would help me out , we will see how that goes . but I am trying to remain optimistic.

thegnu

Sep 15, 2011
freedom pa
thanks, Rohmell an Ibedayank, tomorrow morn I am calling piston bikes with my list an we will see what shakes loose .
All I want to do is get it fixed , let me tell you before it stopped RUNNING I had 25 mph in 3rd gear with 5 more to go an LOVED EVERY SECOND OF IT .
Gary

thegnu

Sep 15, 2011
freedom pa
been trying to get ahold of piston bikes all morning , so I took a close look at the box the motorkit came in an it has a bgf logo on it , could this be a boy go fast motor?

dmb

Dec 4, 2010
lakewood ca
dude you took new motor to 25mph in 3rd gear with 5 more? on start-up? WFO? dude you have 198 posts and you don't know how to break in a china girl? piston robert's a nice guy but he should get an award if he give's you the part's and i hope he doe's! but that was really bad. but thanks for fessing up. good luck dennis

thegnu

Sep 15, 2011
freedom pa
I might be new to these motors an I know guys will disagree , every motor I ever broke in ,I broke in the way I intended to drive it . an no he didnt give me any parts , it seems their warantee clock starts ticking the moment it leaves their door .an counting the week it was in transit I was over their 30 day not 6 mo. by 7 - 10 days about the same time it was in transit.
now my mistake was a mix ratio mistake too lean , the broken jug was not there when I tore it down cleaned it an rebuilt . just chalking this all up to lessons learned. an not really upset about it , its just one of those things.
Gary

dmb

Dec 4, 2010
lakewood ca
your right gary, alot of guys do that and alot of motors scream broken in like that. back in the 70's honda came out with its first 2 stroke racer a 250 my friends uncle was a high up in honda and he got the 3rd bike in the U.S. and he was a expert in crc mx at 16 yr's old well none of those motors were broken in, just raced. we had 10 different barrol's with huge ports [no reed's then] and alot worked good some not so good. all were re-ringed after the weekend or bored out.i have a new barrol and piston and just sliding it up and down i can feel the skirts grab a little. but these chineeze motors arn't close to 70's japaneze quality the lower tech the more care in break-in. race on bro! dennis

thegnu

Sep 15, 2011
freedom pa
Back up an running gentleman, an I am breaking in alot different started my new mix ratio at 32:1 starts nice with a lil choke till warm, then I open the choke close the fuel petcok an let it idle out of gas takes about 3 mins , but I havent timed it . then let cool an repeat did that 6 times today . an probably a hole lot more before end of week .