Intermitent engagement of the clutch

GoldenMotor.com

cyclehard57

Nov 4, 2010
Huntington Beach, CA
Hi Guys.

My clutch has begun to intermittently engage. Typically, I will be idling at a red light with the clutch disengaged, and I will feel the bike surge forward slightly, and hear the sound of a quick engagement. Also, with the motor off, and clutch disengaged, I can push the bike around, and once in awhile, I get the same quick partial engagement. I thought this might be due to a loose cable, so I tightened it, but this does not solve the problem.

Any ideas?

Thank you

rohmell

Jun 2, 2010
New York
How do the clutch pucks look? Could be they they are worn, and flipping around in their holes, and when they do, they grab the clutch plates briefly. Also if the clutch bearings are dry of lubricant, the increased friction could cause them to grab occasionally.

cyclehard57

Nov 4, 2010
Huntington Beach, CA
Ah, good point about the pucks. I suspect that they are pretty worn, but I never thought about them moving around. I will investigate that tonight when I get home from work. Also, I'm not sure what you mean by lubricating the clutch bearings. Can you refer me to a diagram, and also, I'm assuming you mean grease?
Thanks

cyclehard57

Nov 4, 2010
Huntington Beach, CA
Pads are pretty worn, but they are all in place. I noticed that the spring between the 2 plates was kind of compressed, so I lengthened it a bit. Then cleaned the inside of the outer plate. Unfortunately, this had no effect.

The problem is getting worse daily. It really feels like the clutch is "letting go" internally for just a second, and then gets back into place (disengaged. Very strange.

So how do I do this cluth bearing lube job?

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama
Pads are pretty worn, but they are all in place. I noticed that the spring between the 2 plates was kind of compressed, so I lengthened it a bit. Then cleaned the inside of the outer plate. Unfortunately, this had no effect.

The problem is getting worse daily. It really feels like the clutch is "letting go" internally for just a second, and then gets back into place (disengaged. Very strange.

So how do I do this cluth bearing lube job?
Clutch bearings shouldn't need lubricating as they should be sealed bearings on both sides. (unless they need replacing) Might want to lube your clutch shaft, pull the plug where the clutch cable goes through (in the engine valley) and add some light grease.

rohmell

Jun 2, 2010
New York
Squirt a tiny, tiny amount of WD-40, PB-Blaster or whatever into the space between the clutch wheel and the 3 pronged thing.(where the black arrow is pointing)
If this solves the problem, then you will eventually need to remove the clutch assy. and inject grease into one of the three holes that are on the backside of the plate.

Use only a small amount of lube in your squirt. Too much and the excess will fly out and contaminate the clutch pucks.

My feeling is that the bearings in there are dry and are grabbing, or else, there is grit and powdered clutch puck material in there causing the occasional grab.

If you are brave, the whole thing can be disassembled and cleaned, but if you are not careful during disassembly, 50 or so tiny ball bearings will be all over the place.

Last edited:

cyclehard57

Nov 4, 2010
Huntington Beach, CA
Thanks rohmell, and Al. I tried both suggestions. No change. Perhaps it takes awhile for the lubes to work in? I will ride to and from work tomorrow and see if it gets any better with time.

rohmell

Jun 2, 2010
New York
Adding the lube should have had an instant effect on reducing or eliminating the grabbing condition.
If the problem persists, I think it would be time to pull the clutch off and see what is causing it to lock up.
It might be easier to buy a replacement assembly and change it out.