Pocket Bike Engine Project II

GoldenMotor.com

lowracer

Oct 17, 2008
Charleston, SC
Now that the 1st Pocket Bike Engine Project is complete, I figured I should start a new thread for the 2nd PBE project I am now working on.
This one is a no-suspension dirt jumping MTB frame that I have used in the past for various motorized projects. Here are some aluminum engine rack pics & the new expansion chamber that came in the mail today. Got to try out my new oscillating saw on the pipe (cuts like butter).
-Lowracer-

Attachments

timboellner

Apr 1, 2009
Towson Maryland
And I thought my 12" wide Cloud 9 seat was big.
Looks big and comfy, but good grief!
That could easily support my mother-in-laws huge a$$.
I do like that pipe though.
TiM

lowracer

Oct 17, 2008
Charleston, SC
timboellner,
I just went & measured it & just the main seating section is 17" wide X 16.5" long. Then there is the rear detachable seat which itself is larger than any bike seat I own.
I really like the padding quality & will try to adapt one or both to my bike. I am going to have to build another rear rack just to hold the seat...I could sit on this seat for days & not get uncomfortable...lol
Looks like it may have come off of a Honda V-Twin type cruiser since there were also 2 exhaust pipes on the curb for trash pickup, but I only took the saddle.
-Lowracer-

lowracer

Oct 17, 2008
Charleston, SC
timboellner,
The pipe has a good expansion chamber shape to it & once I attach the 12" flex pipe to it & mount it up, we'll see how it performs & sounds. The flex pipe is 1" ID & 1-1/8" OD. The 1" ID flex pipe fits the cutoff section of the pipe that I coated with High temp Permatex gasket maker & the other end that goes to the engine I sleeve with a small piece of ceiling fan drop pipe and use either a 1-1/8" muffler clamp or a bicycle stem (1-1/8" fits perfectly...I may cut off the steerer tube section & file it smooth)
-Lowracer-

lowracer

Oct 17, 2008
Charleston, SC
I got it mostly finished today & took it for a ride around the block but it was drizzling rain & I didnt wanna get it all filthy. The pipe is louder on this bike than on Pocket Bike Engine Project 1. I need to get the V-belt a little tighter (add washers) & work on mounting the HUGH JASS seat (maybe). Before mounting this engine I took the time to remove all the 80mm head bolts & use the longer 90mm ones I bought for engine #1. Also used Red Loctite & 2 lock washers per headbolt. Lets hope it all remains tight...
Here are some new pics.
-Lowracer-

Attachments

timboellner

Apr 1, 2009
Towson Maryland
Very cool.
Man I love the thinking outside of the box engineering .
Makes me want to do a pocket bike motor build.
Keep up the good work.......... I'll keep following you on this one.
TiM

BeaverRat

Jun 27, 2011
WA
Just out of curiosity, if the engine seizes for whatever reason, does the front wheel lock up? If so, that would certainly hurt a bit...

.bf..bf..bf..bf.

lowracer

Oct 17, 2008
Charleston, SC
BeaverRat,
No, the wheel doesn't lock-up if the engine seizes. There is a centrifugal clutch that stops being engaged when the crankshaft stops turning.
Went for a nice ride today to break in the new engine & burned up a full tank of gas.
The older engine has way more power on top probably cause its all broke in already.
I didnt wanna push this one too hard until its broke in.
-Lowracer-

Last edited:

lowracer

Oct 17, 2008
Charleston, SC
Did a few tweaks to the exhaust by cutting off the stock stinger altogether. I bought some exhaust packing & tightly wrapped it inside the stock canister, but it didnt do anything to quiet down the pipe, so I mounted a lawnmower sausage muffler instead. Made it a little quieter & good enough ground clearance. Here are the latest pics...
-Lowracer-

Attachments

lowracer

Oct 17, 2008
Charleston, SC
Cannonball2,
When searching for MB frames, I wanted heavy & solid & this frame was meant for Dirt Jumping so I figured it would be solid. I also am partial to Rocky Mountain Bikes since 'The Beast' is also a Rocky Mountain. This engine on this bike is just too much. It launches like a dragster & rips up to redline. Its scary fast!
I may mount this engine on my other bike, 'Wimpy' which is a rear friction drive, just to see how it performs. I'll post a new thread when that project comes to fruition.
-Lowracer-

lowracer

Oct 17, 2008
Charleston, SC
I ordered a Banana seat for this bike so that I can have more room to move my weight around on & so I can get back & low without a kicked-back seatpost & because I think they look cool in a retro kinda way. Here is a pic of what I ordered on eBay (I got the Black one)...Don't forget the sparkles...lol
-Lowracer-

Attachments

lowracer

Oct 17, 2008
Charleston, SC
Ok,
Heres the latest pic after installing the Banana seat & replacing the spark plug wire (like I did on Pocket Bike Engine Project #1 bike)).
The seat allows a more comfortable perch w/ a more rearward roomier position...Handling has improved.
-Lowracer-

Attachments

Last edited:

lowracer

Oct 17, 2008
Charleston, SC
Thanks Cannonball.
I like 'The Beast' much more.
This is a fun bike to putt around on, but not a very comfy bike for a long ride.
The rear tire is a Kenda 1.95 slick (cant remember the # & its not printed on the side).
Its looks like a motorcycle tire & handles great.
I do believe the best MB's start as Downhill MTB's & just add engine.
My opinion only...
-Lowracer-

Last edited:

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX
Maybe you could mount the seat sort of like the old banana seats. Paint a 2x4 black, countersink holes for the washers and nuts, then use U-bolts, mounted into the "seat guts" of the seatpost, probably a cheap bmx seatpost would do better than the nice rails on a modern micro post. build struts for the board, then mount the seat to the board.