4 stroke diesel bike???

GoldenMotor.com

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Just a thought, over the last few years every crazy idea has come to be for MBs. 79cc's were thought to be insane. FD working in the rain. Long range and high speed E-bikes. Even propane powered MBs.

Yet to see a diesel. We gotta do this. If for nothing else, just to prove we have the time and not the mind (ta know it's dumb)

Did we give up when the nazis's bombed Pearl Harbor!?

D-Day: [to Bluto] Let it go. War's over, man. Wormer dropped the big one.
Bluto: What? Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? **** no!
Otter: [to Boon] Germans?
Boon: Forget it, he's rolling.
Bluto: And it ain't over now. 'Cause when the goin' gets tough...
[thinks hard of something to say]
Bluto: The tough get goin'! Who's with me? Let's go!
[Bluto runs out, alone; then returns]
Bluto: What the **** happened to the Delta I used to know? Where's the spirit? Where's the guts, huh? This could be the greatest night of our lives, but you're gonna let it be the worst. "Ooh, we're afraid to go with you Bluto, we might get in trouble." Well just kiss my ass from now on! Not me! I'm not gonna take this. Wormer, he's a dead man! Marmalard, dead! Niedermeyer...
Otter: Dead! Bluto's right. Psychotic... but absolutely right. We gotta take these bastards. Now we could do it with conventional weapons, but that could take years and cost millions of lives. No, I think we have to go all out. I think that this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part!
Bluto: We're just the guys to do it.
D-Day: [stands up] Yeah, I agree. Let's go get 'em.
Boon: Let's do it.
Bluto: [shouting] "Let's do it"!
[all of the Deltas stand up and run out with Bluto]

cory151

Oct 19, 2010
SoCal
Yeah, a diesel engine puts out huge vibes every power cycle. The compression ratio of most diesels is double that of gasoline engines.
The power stroke peaks at very high torque for an instant and anything other than an I-6 or V-12 have little inherent balance.
Besides that, diesels truly run best with turbocharging. A really small diesel should be positively aspirated or it will be anemic - especially with a bit of altitude.
All engines run better with a turbocharger gaining power as well as efficiency, thats not just a diesel specific rule. The turbo on modern diesels is necessary for emission reasons, more than for power. Try passing a particulate test without one.

The vibrations from a diesel are overstated in my opinion, if this were true Id not be able to start my 4BT cummins on a a pallet or else it would destroy the wood right? If this were true, nobody in there right mind would buy diesel generators or welders because of the harsh vibration, when truth be told they are much more sought after than gas versions.

Lastly diesel engines have something that nearly everyone on this site is looking for more of.......reliability. Typically lasting 3x as long as a similar gas engine, nothing comes close the the longevity of the diesel engine.

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
Yah, I'd agree with Happyvalley... we should kinda stick with a diesel search that would be suitable in a bicycle frame, with pedals.

That sawakaki is a nice motorcycle, but it's not a MAB.
rc

Go figger, Hayes will ONLY sell to the military!

NormO

Jun 15, 2011
New Brunswick,Canada
Lastly diesel engines have something that nearly everyone on this site is looking for more of.......reliability. Typically lasting 3x as long as a similar gas engine, nothing comes close the the longevity of the diesel engine.
Well if they built the bottom end on a gasoline engine as tough as they make a diesel there wouldn't be a problem.

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
actually, there's more to it than that, Norm...
diesel is a lubricant, where gasoline is a solvent.
it's easier on the cylinder walls, rings, pistons, valves...
rc

NormO

Jun 15, 2011
New Brunswick,Canada
Darn, reality has ruined my fantasies again. I didn't even think about diesel being a lubricant as well. Diesels also do not rev as high as a gasoline. There's less stress there as well. I guess i should have said that tougher bottom end components would help a gasoline live longer.

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
Darn, reality has ruined my fantasies again. I didn't even think about diesel being a lubricant as well. Diesels also do not rev as high as a gasoline. There's less stress there as well. I guess i should have said that tougher bottom end components would help a gasoline live longer.
Diesels are under greater stress than a gasoline engine, thats why they are so heavily built. With a comp ratio in the 22-24:1 range they have to be. True diesel is a lubricant, but about all it is lubing is the pump and the injector. The small diesels being discussed are considered high speed, turning 3600rpm The bigger engines often operate below 2000 rpm. Diesel fuel has more caloric content than gasoline, thats why the consumption is less, along with exact fuel control. They are way cool engines that have a specific application. They have been around from the beginning also. Robert Bosch made it happen. The first ones were run on vegtable oil BTW. Of course the new electroinc ones are a whole nother smoke(hahaha). I watched in awe as the Audi turbo diesel pulled easily away from the Porches on the straights of a road course, now thats a diesel!

NormO

Jun 15, 2011
New Brunswick,Canada
I believe it was peanut oil not vegetable oil. The original inventor was Rudolf Christian Karl Diesel. Born March 18,1858. Last seen alive September 29, 1913.I don't know where Bosch comes into play, but doesn't matter. Cool engines, i wouldn't call them that. A rotary engine is cool to me. I have many words to describe a diesel. Cool isn't one of them. Most are not fit to be posting on this forum.

Last edited:

daRog

Apr 15, 2011
California
An acquaintance of mine in Edmonton used to joke that he usually started his diesel pickup truck in October and shut it down in April. At least I *think* he was joking...

Elmo

Sep 3, 2009
Mississippi
Banks put a six cylinder Cummings into a Dodge Dakota years ago and ran 200 at bonneville. It also smoked a hot Corvette in a drag race.

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
[ Big Boy Cycles is the first that I know of to shove a diesel in a motorized bicycle!
You see the coolest cutting edge bikes at Socal Motor Bicycle Racing events.

Here is a pic of the Big Boy "Ol Smokey" at the race last Saturday Oct 19th

Last edited by a moderator: