Share Tricks Tips To Save Energy and Resources?

GoldenMotor.com

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
I think of stuff all the time now days to utilize my resources to my advantage. Thought this might be a interesting thread to share ideas?

There is our bikes of course that use very little fuel.

I have a nice Clay Pottery crock pot. When I make beans etc I set it out in the hot sun in my yard. This in turn uses less electricity in the hot summer months for sure!

I dry my chili peppers on foil in my car during the fall. To me smells way better than the pin tree type deal on the mirror lol.

I always have a new load of laundry brewing. My washing machine is near the kitchen sink. I will wash my hands there to conserve water many times.

I have a giant fresnel lens BUY A HUGE FRESNEL LENS GREEN POWER SCIENCE TM WOULD BE NICE ON THE DISCOVERY NETWORK SOLAR STIRLING ENGINES FRESNEL LENS PARABOLIC MIRROR. I have cooked food with I make a mean stir fry scrambled eggs, pork-chops etc.

Been messing with a solar water heater. Basically a old water heater stripped down to just the tank and painted black. Set that thing in the sun and boy howdy that's a bunch of hot water!

Been messing around with the likes of this type of set up and its works very well in my experiments. YouTube - ‪How To Make an Aluminum Can Solar Air Furnace: Part 1/4‬‏

YouTube - ‪Brilliant Newfoundlander Invents the Solution!‬‏

YouTube - ‪Brilliant Newfoundlander Invents the Solution!‬‏

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
This is a 6" duct fan coupled to a 6 to 8 inch reducer and a length of 8 inch flex duct. I put this is the garage and use it in the winter to pump all the hot air up by the roof back down to the working area.

Works great!

brother john

Jun 25, 2011
Indy
ya know those yard lanterns with the little solar panels on them? they have rechargeable double A's in them and people often just throw them away after the batteries no longer take a charge...I have a couple nice round ones that came out of the trash... theyre about 4" in diameter and about an inch thick...took the light and lantern part off and put in new rechargeable batteries and set them in the sun on a window ledge or dash to charge...if ya have stuff that runs off of AAs your gonna save in the long run

James912

Apr 12, 2011
Florida
Wrap your hot water heater so it insulates and traps the heat in as long as possible. Want to make a cup of hot water, pour water into your coffee cup, put a piece of tuperware over it, and set it outside in these hot summer days, it'll get hot and wont evaporate. :)

brother john

Jun 25, 2011
Indy
went to Kroger today...for 3 boneless skinless chicken breast...a little over 4 bucks...in the freezer next next to that one...whole chickens a little over 4 bucks...in the deli...whole rotisserie chickens already cooked...a little over 4 bucks...I can squeeze a couple meals out of 1 yard bird and if I dont have to heat up the place with the stove even better...

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
A buddy of mine studies solar alternatives. He had his motorcycle and truck battery go weak in the same winter. He tried this trick on both batteries and it worked! Google

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
Save gas, fart in a jar.

On a more serious note conforming with the thread:
A few years ago I swapped out all my incandescent lightbulbs with CFL bulbs.
Yes, I noticed a change for the better on my electric bill.
Now I am in the process of changing those out for these new fangled LED bulbs.
At $35-$40 each it is going to take me a while though. Shop SYLVANIA 60-Watt Equivalent Indoor Soft White LED Light Bulb at Lowes.com
I wanted to install a Malibu garden light set in my back yard. Then I found these solar recharged versions at ChinaMart. Hey, at $20 a pair and I never have to plug them in, I tried them out. So far I'm very happy with their performance....... but that too will take time to get all the ones I want. Walmart.com: Westinghouse 2-Piece Deluxe Solar Spot Light Set: Landscape & Garden Decor
Food, bills, and MB parts are more important at the moment.

ToxicAz520

Mar 11, 2011
Tucson,Arizona
One thing that I did was using solar screens for the summer time and making them removable to take them off in the winter time. Also make sure that all out lets and plumind is sealed where it enters the house or come thru the walls.