Centrifugal Clutch Helped Me Bring Home a TV

GoldenMotor.com

rohmell

Jun 2, 2010
New York
Well, I was riding around the neighborhood and spotted a 15 inch LCD TV at the curb, waiting for garbage pickup.

I scooped it up under my left arm and was able to slowly ride back home using my right hand for throttle and brake because of the centrifugal clutch not requiring me to use my left hand for the manual clutch.

If I had a manual clutch, there is no way I could have ridden back home with the TV. If I had left it there, came home and brought the car, by then the trashmen would have gotten to it, and it would have been gone forever.

The TV wants and tries to turn on, but can't, so now it's time to drag out the ESR tester and check all the caps on the PCB.

rohmell

Jun 2, 2010
New York
I love my centrifugal clutch. I don't understand why it is not more popular for use with our Motorized Bicycles.

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
The c clutch on my Morini has absolutely spoiled me. The disk hand brakes I got work normally and perfectly. The bars are freed up.

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
I dunno. I actually like the manual clutch on the happy time.

It somehow fits with the whole "clunky" aspect of the thing.

But I love the automatic on the 4 stroke. It's smooth like the 4 stroke.

What, you don't have a basket or a rack on that thing? How do you bring home stuff from the store?

rohmell

Jun 2, 2010
New York
Jburr36, The lights work, it just cycles on and off. It is a common problem with these types of TVs. The capacitors in the power supply section start to go bad, and just need to be replaced.

Mike B, It's a small mountain bike with 24 inch wheels, it has a banana seat, so no rack possible in the back. I use it for riding, not shopping, and a basket on the front would spoil the look of it.

Last edited:

rohmell

Jun 2, 2010
New York
UPDATE: TV is now working but no ATSC tuner , no remote, and no VGA inputs on it, so it gets donated to charity.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
All hail centrifigulization!!!!!
That was just plain funny! LOL, good one.

I really do love my "automatic tranny" MBs. But there is some thing to be said for the control of a manual.

I do think auto is safer and more fun though. Most especially if it is for a new rider. With a brake and a clutch and in the absence of foot controls, can get confusing in an emergency situation.

rohmell

Jun 2, 2010
New York
With the centrifugal clutch on a BGF 66cc engine, I don't have to pedal from a standstill. I like that. I kinda felt like a fool pedaling to help the engine when I had the manual clutch. I think to others it looked like the engine was too underpowered or something, and needed help to get underway.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Is an odd thing but learned this a coupla yrs in to motorized bicycle riding and ChinaGirls Rohmell. But you really can take off with a manual clutch with no pedal assist. Not with any sorta blinding speed and takes some practice, but is not to hard.

About threw me for a loop when I saw some one doing that at a rally.

I do think a centrifugal clutch is still a great way to go though.

Also, pedal assisted take offs seem to say to folks in cars that your gonna have trouble keeping up so they try to pass you as your (I'm) just getting up to speed. Hate that. lol

rohmell

Jun 2, 2010
New York
In order to do that, I guess you have to 'feather' the clutch and throttle, manipulating both controls in a certain fashion. When I tried doing it, I just stalled the engine every time.
With the auto clutch, I just rotate that throttle full on and sit back with a smile on my face!