The so called, Oldies

GoldenMotor.com

brother john

Jun 25, 2011
Indy
I listen to the local high school station here and they play a nice blend of older music and new and the best part...no commercials!

Buzzard

Jul 9, 2008
Lincoln, NE
DOOO WAP from the Platters to the Temptations
ROCK & ROLL Chuck Barry the real true Daddy of R&R
Some of this music is over 40 years old and it will never die.
The stuff they play today, most of it is just a flash in the pan.
God Bless Glenn Campbell.
buzzard

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Thanks Tom,
From the Temptations to the Platters and finally a little Sam Cooke... a very nice hour or so of memories... especially one of slow dancing with a certain wonderful girl... "Only You" by the Platters has to be one of the all time great recordings. I feel kind of sorry for the young people who don't have music like that or artists who really could sing.
SB

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Back when that stuff was new, I didn't like it. Now that it's oldie, I still don't like it lol. I wanted to hear secret agent man.

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Lived in upstate NY and the local McDonalds had a juke box full of the oldies and I watched kids 10 years old pump money into it and they knew the words to all the songs.

It's music that will never die.

Steve.

gphil

Jan 9, 2011
USA Georgia
Don't get me started on this subject, I, like Tom, grew up on the oldies. My wife cannot understand why I can name oldies and who performed. Listening to AM radio that was gone more than in---------remember Tom?

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I can spend hours watching oldies vids on YouTube. I saw one recently where Michael Jackson sang with the Temptations. I never knew he performed with them. 'Pappa Was a Rollin' Stone' He was great and looked to be about 16 or 17 years old.

There'll never be another Temptations, Four Tops, Platters or even early Elvis. That was music with talent, not just volume. It takes more than amplifiers and digital synthesizing to make real music. Those old groups had what it takes.

With that said I have to admit that there was some great music that came out of the 70s. Remember 'Album Rock' where the DJ played the whole album with no commercial breaks? Pink Floyd, Jethro Tull and others that had talent and showed it? Good music didn't die in the 50s but it certainly changed somewhere in the late 80s. At least that's when I turned off the radio and started listening to my old cassets.

Tom

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
John,
You'll get no arguments from me. All four of them were easy to listen too.
Dustin Kensrue took me back to the early Bob Dylan days.
Thanks for sharing with us old guys.
Tom

Last edited: