Hard pedal to start up!

GoldenMotor.com

acmeelephant

Jun 15, 2011
orlando
Eureka!!! It works! the leveling and those videos did the trick! Im soo stoked! Too late to go tearing it up in my neighborhood right now, and the chain on the frame does a lot of rattling and vibration, but I guess thats not such a bad thing :p. I'll just grind it down tomorrow. Thank you so much for your help! I am sooo grateful! :)

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Got a helmet? Good deal that you got it going! I'd suggest that you walk the bike along for a hundred feet or so with the motor off and clutch in and watch the circuit the chain makes. Does the chain appear to move up and down or the rear sprocket the chain goes around does that seem to wobble a little? If either of these is the case then the rear sprocket may need some adjusting. Be careful with that chain tensioner, too, that it is tight enough to the frame to not get pulled into the spokes. Where is the chain rubbing and how badly?
It is worth taking the time to try to make things as right as you can in the beginning. You don't want to buy a new wheel right now and you sure as heck don't want to get hurt. Even a little fall at low speed can be bad news. Some of us have the scars to prove it.
Hey, you did good, girl. Woohoo!
SB

acmeelephant

Jun 15, 2011
orlando
Im gonna check it out tomorrow and Ill let you know how it goes. What do you know about sound dampeners? do those work? and should I get a gas filter? my kit didnt come with that. And should I buy a new spark plug, the one it came with looked pretty cheap. Thanks for the help!

DuctTapedGoat

Dec 20, 2010
Nampa Idaho
I hear the sound dampeners work - though I have also heard that properly cut pizza boxes work too.

Yes yes yes you need an inline fuel filter - I use glass filters from a boat.

A new sparkplug should be a must - everybody recommends something different, so I'd search and see. Personally, I run a BR7HS, but everyone's motors are different.

Last edited:

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
where can I buy a filter thats not online?
Anyplace that repairs small engines will have them. Also most hardware stores carry them, auto parts stores, like NAPA. The filter doesn't have to be fancy or expensive. Get a couple of small hose clamps to keep the hose from leaking. The idea is to keep small particles of junk out of the carburetor in order to keep that motor running smoothly. The spark plug mentioned is a good choice.
What mixture of oil to gas are you using and what kind of oil?
Are you having fun?
SB

DuctTapedGoat

Dec 20, 2010
Nampa Idaho
Any autoshop, dirtbike/atv shop, small engine repair shop, boating accessories shop will have em. I love my glass one, it's so easy to clean and you can see if it starts to get gunked back.

acmeelephant

Jun 15, 2011
orlando
Okay, it totally happened again. I havent driven the bike in about aweek and now when I get on the thing to start it up, it seems to wanna go, but the engine seems to jerk and it wont fully dart forwards, whats going on? I thought everything was finally going my way! :(

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Give a better and more exact description of what happens. Does the engine start? Is the clutch disengaging and engaging the motor OK? What do you think is going on? Do you have any idea where the problem is... It's hard to offer advice without more clues to work with. Did this change come about progressively or all of a sudden?
SB

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Hello guys! As you see I am new here and I need help. I just bought the Engine Bicycle Kit GAS Motor Motorized Bike EPA FS 80CC 2 stroke. I put it on bike but I can't start it up because the pedal is too hard. When I take off the spark plug I can here the engine when I move the bike. Why is that? One more question. I still didn't connect the kill switch because I dont know where the cables go... I read in other threds but I could'nt understant.
My kill switch has a yello and a white the engine has a blue a white and a black. Thanks and sorry if I make some mistakes with my English.
Hello again. I'm wondering how you're doing with your bike? Don't worry about your English as you are very easy to understand. Your English is quite good. My hope is that you got some help or figured it out on your own and are riding around with a big smile on your face. If you need help, do ask and someone here will try to help.
SB

acmeelephant

Jun 15, 2011
orlando
Okay, so I pedal up and Im good to go, I disengage the clutch and the engine almost sounds like its trying to go, and infact, ii is! But it's almost like its sputtering. Like the engine isnt fully turning over or there isnt enough gas or maybe the clutch isnt releasing completely. There's obviously power in the engine as I can feel it between my legs^_~, hehe, but seriously! Im sorry for the stupid questions and being so darn annoying, Im just so frustrated and frankly I dont know what's going wrong and how Ive caused it to occur. Basically the engine starts, but I cant seem to get complete power to it for it to take over and allow me to stop pedaling. If I stop, it eventually dies. Was that okay?

Wm Holden

Jun 1, 2011
Ventura California
When they are new they are difficult to get dialed in.
are you playing with the throttle and choke to find a sweet spot it likes? also...pedal through the startup procedure.

Last edited:

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Yes, that's better. I wish someone smarter than me would chime in here to help you. No you're not annoying and your questions are not stupid. Even those of us with experience with these motors get stumped sometimes and I know it can be very frustrating. You try this and try that and pedal, pedal, pedal until you think your pants are going to catch on fire. And it still won't go.
So, I'm guessing that you have tried it one way and then another with the choke. No choke at all. Won't go. Some choke. Won't go. Full choke. Still won't go. Do you notice any difference between no choke and choke? You do have gas in the tank? If you disconnect the gas line at the engine is the gas flowing out freely? If not, then we have clues as to what is wrong. I wish I could hear the motor to know that it really is beginning to start. You mentioned jerking before... is that it trying to start... kind of catching and just sputtering or is the jerking just when it is slowing down to a stop? If it is the former then it is probably getting spark. If it is the latter then maybe it isn't and we need to see if the spark plug is doing what it should. The spark plug is not loose? The spark plug wire is firmly attached to the spark plug?
A motor needs three things to start. Air, fuel and fire (electrical spark) to ignite the fuel and make an explosion in the engine's cylinder. It explodes over and over again and each time the engine turns over and makes a stroke up and down inside the cylinder with each explosion of fuel. Practicably speaking it is almost always either lack of fuel or lack of spark. You didn't mention whether this change from running fine to not starting was a sudden thing or it progressively was running more and more poorly. Was there a difference in the way the engine sounded before you encountered the problems. Was there a pinging sound that wasn't there before? I'm trying to determine if there is an air leak possibly.
My young friend, I am an old guy and it is time for me to turn in. Hopefully someone will chime in and figure this out tonight or lead you a little closer to a fix. If not, then I'll try to pick up on it tomorrow. I'm not a mechanic, just a guy who likes these bikes and has been riding them for awhile now. Don't give up. Good luck to you and good night...
Silverbear

247Jude

Apr 4, 2009
Sudbury
When you get motor Started, push in the Clutch lever and see if the motor will keep running. It should, it may sputter and putter give it a little gas let it get smoother, keep the clutch lever in, you may even lock it in place. let the motor build speed and get up to running temp, once it is responsive to the throtle go for a joy full ride.

acmeelephant

Jun 15, 2011
orlando
Oh my, it just seems like I always give her too much! why is she so fickle?? I mean, is this what men always go through?? lol, Im gonna play with her tomorrow. almost sure Ill find it (the situation) out and I so appreciate the advice. I just keep thinking it must be the simplest problem....im thinking the gas line isnt cooperating (it IS a rear mount tank and bubbles have been mocking me). And also I did adjust the clutch lever, with the hopes that I was making pedaling easier on myself. One of those two things. Ill fix it and post pictures of my VICTORY!!!!

DuctTapedGoat

Dec 20, 2010
Nampa Idaho
LOL - that's the spirit, work on it until it gets going.

And yes, this is what us men are going through when we have these kinda projects.

acmeelephant

Jun 15, 2011
orlando
Okay, so I left the country for a couple months and now the bike wont start......again. I did well to take the gas tank off so that it wouldnt leak or the gas wouldnt be all old and stuff before I took off. I checked and I know the first thing i need is a new spark plug, What kind did you guys recommend? I think thats the first thing I need to take care of! Thanks guys!