GoldenMotor.com
Status
Not open for further replies.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Re: take a tip...leave a tip

Buy yourself a ski mask, not a mechanical tip but still an excellent thing to have. One of my best 2 buck purchases. Except it does a number on your peripheral vision

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina

Today I was working on the giant mountain bike and I decided to fit the 24" sissy schwinn wheel the the huge mtb even though the tube was missing. I removed the tire as well since it was in the way. You guessed it the rim stip came apart.

I went looking for one but of course the only one I could find was at the bike store and I have already been out today. I began researching and found that many of the bike shops no longer use rim strips as such. they put down two layers of duct tape instead.

I just happened to have a roll of black duct tape. So I started the strip of tape and found it was too wide. I made the end rip and of course a half wide strip rolled off for me. I made one round the started again with the other half. I have a very nice little pad for the tube when it arrives and it doesn't slide around. Far as what I can tell from what I read it will work just fine. I'll let you know if it doesn't

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas

I use plastic electrical tape 2 wraps around the wheel and no rubber rim strip on regular tube and tires nothing fancy, one tube on my ratbike is 18 years old and I supect Uncle Sam will be sending a slective service notice to it soon.rotfl
Norman

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina

Good to know guys. The one thing that surprised me was that everything I read said use rim tape. That is until I stuck duct tape into the search. Then everything I read said duct tape was better. Really seems to be anything to take the edge of the spokes will do.

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas

yes and a power wire wheel brushing in the rim where the tape goes will knock down or off rust and fine pointed things that like to poke your tube when your on a 12 mile ride and they do like to want until your way way out there to poke the tube.
check out the lights for your bike on my site
Norms Iron Works

HARDKNOCK

Jan 25, 2008
Jacksonville Florida

Well put, only thing I can think to add it to check for loose parts after each ride and again before you take off. My forks loosen up often and I even had my crank loosen up. My son ran one till the exhaust almost fell off, he is not very mechanically enclined.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina

Not sure this is worth much but I just rode my bike. The mirror had to be readjusted twenty times. When I got home, I finally managed to get to the auto store to buy a convex mirror. You know one of those "its closer than it looks things." Well to be honest that isn't a problem, If anyone is behind me no matter how close or far, I'm waiting for him to pass before I do anything. I just want to know someone is back there. Those mirrors are more or less always in adjustment.

The one I got is a peel and stick the same size as my regular mirror, so I just covered it up. I added a turn of tape around the edge just in case.

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
Re: Exhaust leaking black oily gook

Fel Pro part # 70149 Egr valve gasket for Ford, $2.50
I found that it holds up better then regular gasket maker.

Attachments

Status
Not open for further replies.