What did you do to it today.

GoldenMotor.com

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
If I didn't turn a wrench on my bike for 24hours, my wife would be calling the doctor. Just one more thing I need to do honey, I'll be right in.

So what did you do to your bike today. If you didn't do anything... Then you are my hero. I can't seem to spend a day that I don't do something.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I move one of my drives to a smaller bike after the 26" tossed me on the ground and jumped on me when I tried to get off it. I put it on a 24" I used for an ebike. I very very seldom use it now, so I changed it to the 40 or so cc bumble bee bike. I'm going to rebuild that 26 the same as the BAM bike. A 20" coaster on the back and a 24 inch on the front with custom brakes on both I expect, Then use it with the Emotor if I decide to go that way again. I have two perfectly good ebike drives I should use them I suppose.

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Just gave the Black-n-Blue a good lube job after riding yesterday afternoon-evening in the rain. The rain really cleaned the bike, no need to wash it now.

dnut

Jul 15, 2009
waukegan IL. U.S.A.
Got a new throttle from murrays ( Part Number: 7-03921) and the 70's waffle grips had to go . After striping them off and looking thru my collection , i remebered the whipping we used to put on ships wheels during the years i worked for the navy. So taking some 4mm spectra cord and put a turks head around the grip , then whiped the rest in spiral molaku with 2mm nylon two strand (sorry no photo having iposting prob) . After closing the end with tape i dipped the whole thing into plasti dip a couple times . Well if i do say so myself,it looks like million bucks, and haven't seen anything like it in years.
Today im turning a alum. Sleve to match throttle side and will whip and dip it.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I love the idea of wrapped grips. I think I will do one like I used to wrap flyrod eyelets, only with nylon mason cord. When it is finished i will use polyurethane on it. First I want to make darn sure I am satisfied with everything else. I do not want to cut that off after all that work.

I rode my 24" bumble bee bike. I just moved the motor over to it yesterday so it was more testing today. On the first ride the turnbuckle fell apart. I had loosened it and forgot to tighten it so it wound itself out and fell off. I returned home and replaced it with a piece of chain. I works pretty much the same gives me a way to adjust the tension on the bikes friction drive.

The bumble bee is no more than 40cc so not nearly as much fun as the 3.5 hp BAM bike but it is legal and now that I have it on a bike with gears, it is much better on hills. It also doesn't want to throw me to the ground, when I get off and on as the 26" did.

Last edited:

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Today I made what I like to call a mini stretch. That ole 26" that threw me on the ground then jumped on me became the frame. My wife and I went to the thrift store. I found a 20" BMX that some divorced dad bought his kid to ride, when he came to visit. If the kid ever rode, it I'd be very surprised. (That dad thing is just a guess) The bike looks like it came from the box this morning.

I stripped it for parts then tossed the frame for the scrap metal collectors. The 26" bike got a 20" rear coaster wheel and a 20" front wheel in the original forks. I had to change the chain ring and pedals because the 26" ones are too long and drag the ground. It also had the tall handle bars of a BMX as well. I'll try to make a picture of it. Right now I'm trying to figure out the metal work to put an electric motor I have on it. I might just keep it as a spare for when I discover one of these isn't exactly what I want. I really should wear out these batteries i have though. I could do a front wheel drive and a big luggage rack on the rear for the batteries.

Jul 15, 2009
waukegan IL. U.S.A.
The wrapped grips came out great , there almost nice enough to start selling. Over a few brews my buddy and i came with about seven diff. Variations. They have a classic old bike look .sure like the stuff i make myself over whats out there on everones bike.

magrider

Aug 24, 2010
OrangeCounty, CA
I sat in my chair and looked at it and starred at it, and then thought what else can I do to make you faster, lighter, quicker, more powerful, stronger, more agile, stronger, blacker and have just the right amount of rust on you to make me think... oh yeaah.... and then I had an idea for just one more...........

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I want to build a battery carrier for my new Ebike project, but we have company coming after lunch. So I'm not going to go get all greasy, then have to deal with trying to get the grease off before they come.

Cute story in this. I was a professional photographer for about twenty five years off and on. I ran a photo studio from my garage and made pictures all around my house. So my son in law took over the business when my brain tumor gave me double vision and generally screwed up my eyesight.

He got real chummy with my wife's nieces and nephews. So today he wants to make their new baby's picture. He lives in a nice modern 250k house, but he is bringing them to the 1920s house I live in. Over the years my wife and I decorated it to use as backdrops for period photos. That made redecorating a business expense. So now It seems I am losing it to the next generation of photographers in my family. That's okay I like that it is being used at all these days.

And the more I think of the wrapped grips the more I realize how much better they would be, than what I could have done twenty years ago. There are so many better products our there now. Nylon mason cord, is stronger and impervious to the weather. Polyurethane instead of shellac is a big improvement. glues to at the ends of the wrap, rather than trying to fit the ends back inside the wrap. Just so much easier with a better end product. I really am going to have to do that once I get the perfect bike. thanks Prussian

Last edited:

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Today's project is to build a battery rack for my rebuilt Ebike. I have used a trailer to carry my batteries most of the time I owned an Ebike. Since I am going front wheel drive this time, I'm going to build a rear luggage carrier battery holder.. another thing that makes this possible is that I lowered the bike substantially. A lower center of gravity is a necessity for me since my balance it terrible.

Fortunately I have all the stuff to do it since I have been building and scraping bikes lately.

ferball

Apr 8, 2010
NH
I welded a couple pieces of bracing to the frame I am making, I don't think I need the extra pieces, but it give the frame a much nicer line, and it makes my wife feel better.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
much nicer than what I had in mind. I was thinking just wraps like on the eyes of a fly rod. I still think I will do them once I get a setup I'm not going to change everyday.

I did get my battery box built and it looks okay. When I get it wired up, I'll make a picture of it.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us this is what it looked like without the battery box just the motor on the front wheel.

DaveC

Jul 14, 2010
Boise, ID
Ordered parts from mightywonderful, a voltage regulator and battery pack to run off the white wire. Then a NGK Irridum plug, BR9HIX for the Puch head on my motor.

Annnd something else I ain't to talk about for a while:eek:

DaveC

Jul 14, 2010
Boise, ID
I want to build a battery carrier for my new Ebike project, but we have company coming after lunch. So I'm not going to go get all greasy, then have to deal with trying to get the grease off before they come.

Cute story in this. I was a professional photographer for about twenty five years off and on. I ran a photo studio from my garage and made pictures all around my house. So my son in law took over the business when my brain tumor gave me double vision and generally screwed up my eyesight.

He got real chummy with my wife's nieces and nephews. So today he wants to make their new baby's picture. He lives in a nice modern 250k house, but he is bringing them to the 1920s house I live in. Over the years my wife and I decorated it to use as backdrops for period photos. That made redecorating a business expense. So now It seems I am losing it to the next generation of photographers in my family. That's okay I like that it is being used at all these days.

And the more I think of the wrapped grips the more I realize how much better they would be, than what I could have done twenty years ago. There are so many better products our there now. Nylon mason cord, is stronger and impervious to the weather. Polyurethane instead of shellac is a big improvement. glues to at the ends of the wrap, rather than trying to fit the ends back inside the wrap. Just so much easier with a better end product. I really am going to have to do that once I get the perfect bike. thanks Prussian
I kinda chumped out on my grips. I cut up a beer cozy, one of those foam can insulators, and then used self-adheasive black tennis racket wrap. I think I have arthritus in my hands, they don't like to hold a closed position anymore so not only do the grips absorb vibrations very well the larger grip diameter makes it so my hands don't start to hurt on a long ride :)

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I switched the twist throttle on the bumble bee trying to see what happened to it. I also roughed up the drive wheel trying to make it grip better. Nothing helps it's just under powered.