Help, Need advice, Which is it; a clutch problem or a chain alignment problem?????

GoldenMotor.com

CJ5

Dec 16, 2010
Mobile, Alabama
I got a new engine because I am still fixing the first one right now. I put the new engine in place of the old one, same motor kit, same supplier, and it appears to be the same. But when I hooked everything up and tried holding in the clutch to test how the chain would run about every full revolution of the wheel sprocket it’s like the chain tries to hop or the clutch is not grabbing like it should. I am unsure, I am fairly certain the small sound that is made when the Clutch doesn't grab and/or chain jump is coming from the gear box, not sure. When I removed the gear box cover and tried the clutch with it off. It appears as though the clutch plate that pushes on the clutch pads it is only being raised on one side off the plate when applied. There is some brief, slight resistance on the clutch when the sound happens and at the same time the clutch doesn't grab and/or chain jump. When it happens there is small resistance, but my first engine didn't do this so it isn't my imagination. The resistance doesn't keep the bike from going just makes it harder to pedal. So which problem is this; a clutch problem or a chain alignment problem?????

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
Re: Help, Need advice, Which is it; a clutch problem or a chain alignment problem????

i'm going with a chain problem. i'd keep an eye on the back sprocket while rolling it to find out where it's binding. it could be as simple as a stiff link. you'll notice if it is because the chain won't wrap around the sprocket evenly at first, and when the link's in the middle, between sprockets, the chain won't be straight.

if that's what it is, you can try grabbing the chain with both hands with your thumbs on the link, and bending the chain back and forth.

it could also be the masterlink hanging up on the cover or one of the gears.

a few other things that it could be are a bent or sharp tooth on the sprocket, or the chain's too tight, or the sprocket's not centered, causing a tight spot in the chain.

as for the clutch appearing like it's only grabbing one side, that's normal. all it does is push away from the clutch gear on a spring, and it's pretty sloppy.

CJ5

Dec 16, 2010
Mobile, Alabama
Re: Help, Need advice, Which is it; a clutch problem or a chain alignment problem????

What the deal is that everything that is on the bike that is having the problem is from the first kit all I did was change it out for a new engine. I tryed adjusting the sprocket when I was installing so I may just need to work on the sprocket a little more. The only strange thing is it worked fine with the first engine. Do you think maybe over time the rear sprocket came loose?

LS614

Dec 22, 2009
CT and MA

That's possible. I did myself the favor of filing the teeth on my 44t sprocket, 2 hours total work, but well worth it. May want to hit it with an ol' rattail. It could be a loose or crooked sprocket, I just don't know. Good luck!
-LS :)

CJ5

Dec 16, 2010
Mobile, Alabama

"May want to hit it with an ol' rattail."

What do you mean by that? What is that, perhaps a slang I don't know?