I have a hole in my newly shipped engine...

GoldenMotor.com

ueyteuor

May 28, 2010
California
I have a hole in my new engine...

So I just received my grubee starfire engine in today...

And I see a hole... in the engine... Is the engine made out of Recycled aluminum cans or something? So, I figure this is a big problem right? Or maybe not because it's located where the engine head bolts are? Do you think I should bring it in to an aluminum welder and have it patched or should I not worry about it?

Last edited:

Kevlarr

Jul 22, 2009
Mi
Odds are it'll run just fine the way it is but I agree with bairdco, I'd sent the photos to the dealer and ask for an RMA.

Derks420

May 30, 2010
Central New Jersey
Re: I have a hole in my new engine...

Man thats some bull! Dont they have quality control? how could someone let this throught the line to be sold? It will work fine with the small hole, but if water gets in there and rusts the bolt or enters the combustion chamber, your f'd. If you can, return it. If you have to pay shipping, i say just bring it to a welder and have them patch it....

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
There's no way that can be patched & it's not worth the effort anyway - you'd pay a welder more than it'd cost to get a replacement cylinder lol... heck getting a new cylinder is almost as cheap as a coupla tubes of JBweld :p

Defo send that pic to whomever you bought it from & try to get a refund/replacement, it's no big deal this stuff happens frm time to time when we play with the cheapest engines made heh If they won't refund - simply post about your unfortunate experience in: http://motorbicycling.com/f3/find-dealer-review-1730.html and pick up a replacement cylinder and gasket set - at least a base gasket (that one never survives a swap lol), it's a simple matter of four nuts to swap it out... mebbe a 15 min job at worst :D

Heck, that'd even give ya a dud cyl to practice doin' a port n'polish on .wee.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
YouTube - ENGINE TESTING??? www.enginekitparts.com

YouTube - Beware of cheap engines - PK50 & PK80 assembly process

YouTube - skyhawk factory work shop BY WWW.MBBIMPORTS.COM.AU

Ya know... when I first saw these vids I was vaguely horrified and amused at the same time... but then, the more I thought about it the more I realized a coupla things - I'm actually quite impressed that they bother to test them at all, that I've been guilty of wielding a hammer in a very similar fashion at the end of a long & underpaid work day, that in fact I've worked in a "factory" not to terribly dissimilar than the Skyhawk one, actually I've worked in any number of such small shops and if anything - that 'un was clean & very well organized for what it is o_O (the DIY testing jigs are ossum lol)

It ain't Honda and that's a fact... but I'd still like to meet those folks, swap a few stories and buy 'em a frosty beverage, a cuppa tea if they insist ;)

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
Good news is I spoke to the seller and I will be getting a replacement cylinder sent
Two questions...
What is engine plate date?
And who did you buy it from?

The StarFire's are the old model, SkyHawks are the newest model's but there may still thousands of SF's on shore for sale.

Still, a hole in the cylinder is not good, not from Grubee though I hear you can expect that from the REALLY cheap China motors.

flybytaco

Metal Molding Madman
Oct 17, 2009
seekonk MASS
just a casting flaw thats what i had to look out for when i made my liquid cooled jug that def wont hold water lol your good run that biatch hard

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Still, a hole in the cylinder is not good, not from Grubee though I hear you can expect that from the REALLY cheap China motors.
Those (grubee) ARE really cheap china engines, just with a fancy sticker and some extra hype added for luck.