Alternate 50cc 4-stroke engine list

GoldenMotor.com

gareth5000

Aug 17, 2010
Warburton Oz
Re: Alternate 4-stroke engine list

Fair comment's.
I was just interested in your opinions, so I ran it up the flagpole.

Last edited:

Crazy Horse

Dealer
Feb 20, 2009
USA

Gareth, BarelyAwake,

Thanks to both of you for your post's.

First let me give those who don't know what getting flammed means here's a brief definition of Forum Etiquette, and what flamming is and it usually doe's not happen here in our forum as the Moderators here work hard to keep this forum TOP NOTCH.

What is Forum Etiquette?

The Internet has become a world-wide community and in the process, innumerable forums on every subject under the sun are available where people can express their opinions. Some forums are closely moderated -- that is, someone checks every post for suitability before it is uploaded to the forum. Some forums have minimal or no moderation, only Terms of Service (TOS) that members are expected to follow. Most forums do have some sort of reporting feature for obscene or harassing posts. Still, even with a minimally-moderated forum, is there a standard of behavior? Is there actually something called forum etiquette? The answer is an unqualified yes.

Forum etiquette means maintaining a standard of posting behavior that is acceptable and appropriate. Forum etiquette can be flexible, according to the subject of the forum, but there are certain standards most people expect others to maintain. Some lines must be drawn for the safety of all posting on the forum.

One of the staunchest rules of forum etiquette is not posting personal information about another poster. Even if that poster has all but drawn a map to his house, posting a real name or address is considered grounds for a permanent ISP ban on most forums. This could compromise someone's safety. This is probably the most serious breach of forum etiquette and most moderators take it very seriously.

You can disagree with someone's opinions, but calling that person an idiot or a profane name is a violation of forum etiquette. Some forums are more liberal about this than others, but keeping it civil is never the wrong thing to do. Posting the same thing over and over again is called scrolling, and is also a banning offense. It is annoying in the extreme and uses up bandwidth, which someone is paying for. It is entirely unnecessary and makes the poster look immature and childish.

Trolls are always in flagrant violation of forum etiquette and enjoy disturbing the peace at any forum where they post. Trolls tend to scroll, call names, gossip about other posters, post things that are deliberately provocative and usually that violate the forum's rules about posting. Most moderators hasten to get them banned as soon as possible, but they can sometimes do a lot of damage before this happens.

Another violation of forum etiquette is posting in ALL CAPS. This is considered shouting and is very rude, in addition to being hard on the eyes. Something may be in caps for emphasis (e.g. I did NOT want to go!), but no post should be entirely in all caps.

Flaming, or deliberate insults or personal rants, is also against forum etiquette. Flaming is often employed by people who are losing arguments on a forum. Their response is to personally insult the poster disagreeing with them, usually in a long, nasty post.

This kind of behavior is why so many forums have a list of posting rules and consequences for breaking them. Some may say this behavior is more prominent among immature teens, but that is in no way the case. Many of the worst offenders are adults who should know better. The veil of anonymity seems to bring out the worst in these people, and any bullying tendencies they have tend to become magnified in the semi-protection of an anonymous forum.

Most of the rest of forum etiquette involves using the Golden Rule: treat others as you would like to be treated. Behaving as a reasonable adult, even in the face of being flamed, is always the best course of action. If a poster becomes harassing, obscene or personal, do not retaliate. Instead, cut and paste the offensive post(s) into an e-mail and quickly report it to the moderator or forum administrator.

Now back to your post's Gareth & BarelyAwake,

"Quote BarelyAwake,
Without getting into debating the finer points of lawmaking, in my own view - a bicycle w/a 50cc engine strapped to it will always be just that, no matter how nice looking and well built it may be.

This is pretty much a builder's resource thread, such considerations are between the builder and their local laws, even just the enforcement of such. End Quote"

"Quote Gareth,
My point is when does a motorized bicycle become a moped?
I know I'm a noob and expect to be flamed but would you pedal you ride downtown and back? Could you, without great difficulty, lift it over a gate?
I'm apologizing in advance for this post. End Quote"

Gareth, here in The state of Maryland, USA our law states that Motor Assisted Bicycle's must be 50cc or less, and have an automatic transmission no gear shifting, with that being said the Chinese cloned Honda CRF 50cc full automatic engine, or the Chinese cloned Honda CRF 50cc Moped ( Pedal Engine ) also falls into the legal category, since they are available as fully automatic and are stamped on the cylinder 49cc.

BarelyAwake, you are a fine Moderator & forum member, here in this reply you were definitely replying as a forum member, instead of a Moderator and for that I'm appreciative as I'm sure many other forum members are, I know it must be difficult to go back & forth from Mod 2 forum member when replying to any post but I think its great that you hit the nail on the head here.
You definitely have the skill & versatility of balancing both being a forum Mod & forum member.

Gareth & others please feel free to post your questions regarding this type of engine for motorizing your bicycle(s).

I think it's great that we have such an awesome forum here for us motor assisted bicyclist's, and I for one appreciate it.

Peace Crazy Horse.

gareth5000

Aug 17, 2010
Warburton Oz

I wish I'd never said it now, lol.
It's a fine forum with good mannered posters.
Please forgive my ineptitude.

Crazy Horse

Dealer
Feb 20, 2009
USA

Gareth, no worries you are forgiven and I personally think your post was inquisitive, in my opinion.

I hope that your initial post doesn't prevent you posting questions or thoughts with regards to Motor Assisted Bicycles in general, sometimes we hesitate on posting a question and that if we do post something it may be taken the wrong way or simply misunderstood.

Be that as it may, I think your questions were fine.

Peace Crazy Horse.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine

No "forgiveness" necessary, no "ineptitude" evident - you made a well mannered inquiry while stating your own personal opinion in the interest of gaining perspective - exactly the point of a forum as I see it (^)

Crazy Horse

Dealer
Feb 20, 2009
USA

Where are those holes for mounting this Chinese Cloned Honda CRF 50cc fully automatic engine & the China Cloned Honda CRF 50cc Engine with Pedals as sold on complete 4-stroke mopeds using the Cloned Honda Engines?

Here's a pic showing the bottom of the Engine normally these holes are used for a foot peg bracket on most China Cloned Honda CRF Style 50cc Pit / Dirt Bikes:

Whats a Skid-plate / motor mount, well here's I-Paint's Stretch Cruiser with Skid-Plate & Jack-Shaft prior to mounting his Engine:

Here's a Skid-Plate also known as a Motor Mount as sold by BMIKarts Main BMI Karts and Supplies - Home

I'm sure some of you have seen the RedB66 mounts that he used on his Build The Orange Crush Stretch Cruiser, these mounts could possibly be used to hold the Skid-Plate to your frame if welding is not an option!

Peace Crazy Horse.

Last edited:

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.

Hmmmm....that bolt pattern looks awfully familiar?!?! I truly think I could use one of them 50's I see here. And I know plenty about skid-plates too. Thanks again for sharing here CH....cheers!

Crazy Horse

Dealer
Feb 20, 2009
USA

Here's the best picture that I have showing the Chinese Cloned Honda CRF 50cc Engine and what is needed to run all accessories ie horn, speedometer, head & tail light, turn signals, even an alarm system.

This is a full on accessories loaded engine:

Here's the bare bones setup for running the chinese cloned honda crf 50cc type of engine without any accessories like lights, horn, electric start, etc etc:

Here's a Honda Jazz 50cc typical diagram / pic of all accessories, Lights, turn signals, horn, etc:

All of these items above can very easily be scavenged from a kids chinese clone Honda CRF 50cc type engine powered ATV, which can be found new on the internet for $350.00 and up, they usually are fully automatic, electric start, with head light, tail/brake lights, with handle bar controls aka switch assembly for kill & start switch, head light on/off switch.

This thread in my opinion, and I'm sure other forum members will agree, is a builders resource thread for those interested in motorizing their bicycle with this type of 4-stroke 50cc engine!

C.H.

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.

This thread in my opinion, and I'm sure other forum members will agree, is a builders resource thread for those interested in motorizing their bicycle with this type of 4-stroke 50cc engine!
Who would I be to disagree with this statement? I'll take one of each!

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota

Crazy Horse,
What kinds of bikes do you see this working on? Would it have to be a modified stretch type frame? Is there any way a vintage cruiser could accept this power unit? The price for parts is compelling and it would sure be nice powering a cruiser. I'd like to see one of these in person.
SB

Crazy Horse

Dealer
Feb 20, 2009
USA

Posted on 09-02-2010, 01:10 AM

scotto
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member

Quote:

Who would I be to disagree with this statement? I'll take one of each!
Crazy Horse,
What kinds of bikes do you see this working on? Would it have to be a modified stretch type frame? Is there any way a vintage cruiser could accept this power unit? The price for parts is compelling and it would sure be nice powering a cruiser. I'd like to see one of these in person.
SB
SB, I'm sure it is possible to use one of these engines on a Cruiser but it would take some modification to make it work!

Here's my suggestion to one forum members request for information regarding these Chinese Cloned Horizontal Honda E-22 Four Stroke 50cc/70cc/90cc/110cc/125cc, fully automatic engines, yes you can get these engines fully automatic up to 125cc.

Here's the forum members RFI request for information & my reply:

"QUOTE:
Originally Posted by Anonymous,
Crazy Horse,
I see your into 4 stroke's, I am a 2 stroke enthusiast, but I have plans on building a 4 stroke stretch cruiser, or possibly a trike conversion over the winter. This build will be a "over the top" type for me, I can say it should be nice, trying to get the wife to ride, if it's cool, I can succeed. LOL
My question; Can I have your take on a good 4 stroke setup, QUIET, easy start, dependable, auto clutch with lots of torque(lots of hills here in xxxxx) speed not required, 15mph is plenty, if I go trike, I will mount the motor in the back??? Anyway, just figured I'd ask. Thanks in advance for your guidance.
END QUOTE"

Ok, here's the best way to go instead of ordering just an engine you can order a 4-stroke ATV fully automatic electric start, which will have a battery wiring harness, head light brake light, and some come with a alarm system with remote kill switch & it'll come with handle bar controls etc etc..

These are the Kids version ATV's some are 110cc most are 50cc fully automatic, you'll only need get a large rear sprocket for climbing hills & it'll keep your top end speed down to 20 mph or less as these setups come with a governor to manually set your max speed.

I think I can post a few sites that have these ATV's for sale at wholesale prices with free delivery.

Once you have the ATV you'll have to scavenge all the components for your stretch build / trike your wife will love it and you'll probably try to keep it for yourself.

Let me know if I can be of any further assistance, trust me once you've gone 4-stroke you'll never buy another 2-stroke!!!

Here's the Links:

1. $599.00 Kid Atvs 70cc 70 cc full auto Kids Atvs For Sale Redcat Kazuma

2.$399.00 http://www.motorsportdeals.com/index...uct-flyer.html

3. $777.77 CMS Cobra 110cc Mini Kids ATV w/Remote Shut Off Safety - FREE SHIPPING ( IA - 6487 )

4. $499.00 http://www.happyscooters.com/Quads-1...ids-p-397.html

5. $379.00 http://www.superiorpowersports.com/1...ax110atv-b.htm

6. Save money check these 50cc ATV's on ebay:
eBay

Remember you'll need to weld a steel plate to the bicycle frame to mount the engine.

Let me know when you get your Stretch Cruiser & ATV or engine only.

Note you'll spend more money buying the engine & components separately thats why I suggest buying the Kids Atv 50cc 4-stroke you'll be ahead of the game doing it this way!

These 50cc 4-strokes are based on the Honda Horizontal E-22 Engines like the ones used on the old Honda CT 70 Trail Bike & The Honda Mini Trail 50cc and there are a gazillion parts and accessories for these engines.

Peace Crazy Horse.

Crazy Horse

Dealer
Feb 20, 2009
USA

Here's one way to increase your horsepower on your Chinese Cloned Horizontal Honda crf 50cc / 110cc Engine on your Dirtbike, ATV, Pitbike, or Motorized Bicycle.

Here is the world's smallest turbo, very similar to the IHI RHB31 turbocharger. This is good quality turbo is ideal for turbocharging your Motorized Bicycle, Motorcycle, scooter, dirt bike, ATV, go kart, buggy, snowmobile or any project or toy you can think of.

Will work on Honda crf 50cc E-22 horizontal engines, or other 4-stroke engines such as EZmotorbike kit engines !

Small Engine Turbocharger VZ21
[VZ21Turbo] $349.89USD

See attached thumbnail pic!

Peace Crazy Horse.

Attachments

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine

OMG SECRUTS *shakes fist*

How am I gonna smoke alla the other four strokers if you keep insisting on revealing alla best tech to the general public?

:p

Seriously tho - do you know of/can provide pics/info on the above turbo kit in actual operation? I've looked & looked for one on a 50cc four stroke but so far have been unsuccessful :(

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota

Crazy Horse,
Not that I can afford it or have the 'need for speed', but that sure is an interesting turbocharger. Any idea what kind of effect it can have on an engine... increase in hsp? I'd like to see a picture of one on an engine.
SB

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine

While turbochargers aren't my favorite (prefer superchargers, personal & debatable preference lol), given the lack of a viable supercharger for this displacement (also debatable, there's been some success: supercharging) it's general viability has been long proven, often available as stock on production vehicles of all sorts.

The actual increase in horsepower is... tricky as much depends on how it's set up, available boost vs exhaust restriction, length & type of manifolds & their configuration - even it's adjustablity, when & how the wastegate releases effects the amount of boost & it's pressure regulation. The above turbo appears to have an internal wastegate w/o any perceivable boost controller - so it's effect is prolly well known & somewhat standard... I too would greatly like more info than I've managed to dig up on that particular system :D

I will say that this level of performance modification does indeed negatively effect the engine's overall reliability. For "chargers" of any sort, replacing/upgrading the head gasket, cylinder studs, bearings & even the crank is pretty much a must else constant and somewhat impressive failures are a given. Even Subaru fell prey to this with their early edition Turbo Loyales, which frequently blew out their (stock) head gaskets if ...erm ...used vigorously *innocent look* ;)

Still, it's got awesome potential for those lookin' to "take it to the next level" and are willing to take their chances, perhaps compromising some of a four stroke's overall reliability to compete with a two stroke's unprecedented power/weight/displacement ratio *shrug*

More general info on turbos for anyone interested: HowStuffWorks "How Turbochargers Work"

Last edited:

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota

Oh, sure, yeah... wastegate and pressure regulation, there's that for sure. Uh huh. I was gonna invest in this copper tubo intake dealy a guy invented and is selling on ebay so you can run your mix at three to one and go to 45 kph in just a couple nanoseconds or something like that. Looks simpler than this one and comes in copper color which I likes better. You might wanna check it out. Sposed to be real good.
SB

Crazy Horse

Dealer
Feb 20, 2009
USA

Oh, sure, yeah... wastegate and pressure regulation, there's that for sure. Uh huh. I was gonna invest in this copper tubo intake dealy a guy invented and is selling on ebay so you can run your mix at three to one and go to 45 kph in just a couple nanoseconds or something like that. Looks simpler than this one and comes in copper color which I likes better. You might wanna check it out. Sposed to be real good.
SB
Silverbear your perspective is always intense and to the point!!! I love that one about the guy from way up north selling his copper tubo intake.... opps laughing so hard I think I had a lil bit of an accident.

BarelyAWake, you hit it outta the ball park with that reply, all I can say is DITTO....and yes Silverbear your reply definitely was great.

You guys are both great,

Peace Crazy Horse!
P.S. This Turbo is real...just saying....WOW!!! Gotta go clean up accident now ROTF....