2-stroke oil vs Automatic Transmission Fluid

GoldenMotor.com

Fabian

Sep 9, 2009
Australia - Melbourne
G'day all

I've got a question for the oil tech-heads, and i know it may be a very stupid question.

Today, i was pouring out some 2-stroke oil and also some ATF into smaller containers.
They both seemed to have a zero weight viscosity and felt very similar rubbing between forefinger and thumb.

I've heard some people use ATF as a diesel fuel lubricant and others have run diesel engines on straight ATF with the engine not suffereing any ill effects.

Ok, can some knowledgeable person enlighten me as to the technical differences between ATF and 2-stroke oil and if you could substitute one for the other without reducing engine life or could you mix ATF and 2-stroke oil if that's your only option.

Fabian

camlifter

May 4, 2009
acme labs marion ohio
i know thats an old trick to sell a worn out 2 stroke, mix the fuel with atf. most atf has additives to help clutch disks grip better which can seal up a worn cylinder long enough to sell a clunker.
i use atf in the gear box of my gasgas trials bike, but i change it a lot.

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
2 cycle oil is specially made to lubricate 2 cycle engines & has all the good stuff in it to protect a running engine from burning up.
ATF is basically just a fancy hydraulic fluid & has none of the good stuff that will protect a internal combustion engine from wear!

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
if you wanna have some fun, add a few drops of ATF into the throat of your carb. you can play "spyhunter" and blow a smoke screen down the whole block.

i used to put a 1/2quart of ATF into my honda racecar's oil before changing it. let it warm up and it helps drain all the oil and gunk out (some people would argue that, but it worked great for me.) so i don't think it'd help lubricate a 2 stroke that well.

also, as far as it "feeling" the same, so does vegetable oil, baby oil, wd40, etc... i wouldn't put any of those in my engine.

chrisme

May 30, 2009
Maine
ATF is 3 things in one, a lubricant, hydraulic oil, and coolant for an automatic transmission.
Using it in a 2-stroke engine would completely ignore the 3 things it was meant to do, and try and make it do something completely different.
Just the same as I wouldn't run 2-stroke oil in an automatic transmission. But automatic transmissions are for sissies anyway :p

KDB

Jun 19, 2011
Maryland
also, as far as it "feeling" the same, so does vegetable oil, baby oil, wd40, etc... i wouldn't put any of those in my engine.

The hobbyists who build engines from scratch sometimes use a mix of gas and WD-40 in their engines.
Elsmore's Hit and Miss Engine Pages - Step-by-Step Construction
BTW: All the stuff they turn out is far to heavy for our proposes.

I think anything that would lubricate and burn at the right temprature would work in an emergency. When I have a few engines I don't mind losing I might experement with corn oil or something.
Until then, I suggest sticking with the tried and proven.

ferball

Apr 8, 2010
NH
I have read on this forum more than once that a 10w30 mix would work in these engines. I know when I was in the army reserves that we used 10w30 for everything from hydralic fluid to its intended use as a lubricant. I think ATF fluid might work, but because lots of ATFs tend to be synthetic blends with detergents and stuff in them I do not think that it would offer the best "lubricating" option for two strokes.

Drewd

Jul 25, 2008
Colorado
Do not use ATF for 2 strokes and don't put any in the tank of any modern diesel engine or you'll do many thousands of dollars in damage to modern diesel injection and emission systems-a diesel particulate filter is about 2 grand.

impression

Feb 26, 2009
Syadney,Australia
Do not use ATF for 2 strokes and don't put any in the tank of any modern diesel engine or you'll do many thousands of dollars in damage to modern diesel injection and emission systems-a diesel particulate filter is about 2 grand.
and this is why modern diesels are **** :p

get me an old mechanically injected diesel that will do over 500,000 miles between rebuilds.

oh wait i have one :p

dmb

Dec 4, 2010
lakewood ca
back in the 70's a 1693 duel overhead cam cat inline six would run 1,000,000 miles put some new rings in it [not pistons & liners] rod bearings and go another 500,000mi at 450hp [more than most] they about drove cat out of the truck engine busness. they would not break and everybody know's peterbilts last almost forever! 5x4 duel countershafts!

Drewd

Jul 25, 2008
Colorado
and this is why modern diesels are **** :p

get me an old mechanically injected diesel that will do over 500,000 miles between rebuilds.

oh wait i have one :p
I'll take my modern one. Its so quiet that I have to tell people it is a diesel, I can stick my finger in the exhaust and it will wipe cleaner than any of my gas engines exhaust, when I step on the accelerator pedal there NEVER is a visible black cloud of death in my wake, I never have to worry about cold weather hard starts even at -22 deg F provided the fuel is winterized properly.
I don't know how long it'll last but at 103k miles, its still averaging 550 psi in each cylinder

KDB

Jun 19, 2011
Maryland
Back on the topic of 2 stroke oil substitutes:

Everything always goes wrong when I have to work late.
When I went to take my bike home I noticed that the fuel line had come loose. Tank was dry. My emergency oil had about a teaspoon in it: good synthetic 2stroke oil.
The gas station had 1,000 kinds of chips but no oil.
Looking around work I found some machine lubricating oil it looked a little thick. I added the tiny bit of synthetic oil I had and mixed it well at about 24:1.
I treated it like a brand new engine( kept it slow and didn't let it get to hot) and it survived the 10 mile ride. I changed gas before starting it again.
It is now hard to start but I think some carb cleaner may fix that.

Question: if I take the carb apart to clean it what should I use?

Pilotgeek

Apr 6, 2011
Green Bay, WI
I'll take my modern one. Its so quiet that I have to tell people it is a diesel, I can stick my finger in the exhaust and it will wipe cleaner than any of my gas engines exhaust, when I step on the accelerator pedal there NEVER is a visible black cloud of death in my wake, I never have to worry about cold weather hard starts even at -22 deg F provided the fuel is winterized properly.
I don't know how long it'll last but at 103k miles, its still averaging 550 psi in each cylinder
And you get less fuel mileage, and pay in higher maintenance costs. A clean diesel? Where's the fun in that? A diesel is supposed to make noise and smoke. If you want something quiet and clean burning, go get a propane engine.

On topic, I would only use ATF if I had nothing else, and really needed to be somewhere.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
We used to inject ATF into the exhaust of model airplane engines to make smoke for air shows. Never tried it in the fuel tank; never occured to me to try it. :)
Tom

linnix13

Oct 7, 2009
in the world
thats so lame though, the best part about a big diesel is the huge smoke cloud. i hate modern crap. even modern cars, its all plastic garbage designed to break

maintenancenazi

Oct 22, 2011
Asheville
We used to inject ATF into the exhaust of model airplane engines to make smoke for air shows. Never tried it in the fuel tank; never occured to me to try it. :)
Tom
Oh yea I remember those days 2door! Some of our members in our RC club would also install this on warbirds. Very cool to simulate a dogfight with, and looking like you've been " hit "!!

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
Yes, Berryman's B12 Chemtool. It used to be the best carburetor cleaner I ever had the pleasure of cleaning with. Then Kaliforgnia made them re-formulate it for environmental reasons and now it is much weaker. I have found that Gunk ( they never had to re-formulate) is alot stronger. Before the forced re-formulation of B12, it used to be the other way around.

Berrymans makes alot of industrial chemicals.
The B9 chemdip is amazing for soaking carburetors and other parts.
Berryman Products - Chemtool Products - Fuel Injector and Carburetor Cleaner - Fuel Treatment - Fuel Additives