How Much Do You Know Of This???

GoldenMotor.com
Aug 23, 2009
British Columbia
Hey everyone. Very serious question here.
Ok, the slot screw that goes into the small drive sprocket on the inside right of the engine has stripped, and I don't have the means of fixing it. Here's what I'm GOING to do, I just want info about that screw, sprocket, and such. I'm going to fill the part where the slot screw goes in with JB Weld, and hammer the slot screw in there as best as I can. I'm told the gear is on there really tight to begin with, but I just want to take the precaution anyways. I'm also going to punch the lip of the slot screw entrance, to smear the metals together, as an extra precaution to help keep the gear on there.

Here's my question...
Can the engine be run without that slot screw?
Will the sprocket hold up without the screw, (anyone try it?)

Attachments

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
What ever you chose to use, don't hammer it. turn it gently and try to catch any thread that may be left. If there aren't any, then turn the screw until it seats best and pray.

Sep 4, 2009
Texas
There are 4 holes why not just put the screw in another hole? It don't have to be adjusted perfect. We are talkin about the flower nut stay right?

allen standley

Oct 22, 2011
Bangor, Maine
Happened to 3 of my bikes. Best fix is to find a front wheel with the smaller axel. remove the axel and turn that into the hole as far as you can wrench it in. place the nut on the axel and wrench it on. Get your body grinder and cut the axel off as close to the nut as possible you may have to grind the nut down a bit so the cover will not be prevented from seating flush on the block. Good luck!