Spring loaded tensioner questions

GoldenMotor.com

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Jumpin' in on this thread.... I'm having a bit of an issue with my chain tensioner it is spring loaded... I was just wondering I'm getting a bit of a clicking sound and also it seems like it's holding me back is it cuz its too tight and how should I mount it I got it mounted on the bottom with it at putting tension on the top Part of the chain pushing it upward with the spring attached to the bottom chainstay... Any advice please respond thanks guys...
We need to see some pictures of what you have but Chaz is correct. Tension should be applied to the lower chain run, not the top. The top chain run is already under tension as it drives the bike. That's not where you want to apply pressure.

Contrary to what I posted in this thread back in 2010, I have come to find that spring tensioners have no place on a motorized bicycle. A tensioner needs to be adjustable, but not by spring pressure. Because we are dealing with acceleration and deceleration forces on a bike a spring tensioner will flex and allow slack when you least want it. On industrial applications you might see a spring loaded chain tensioner but those drive systems only drive in one direction and do not decelerate as you'll see on a bike when you release the throttle at speed.

If you can run without a tensioner, that's the best approach. But if your bike frame does not allow it the best way is to mount the tensioner so it spans the seat and chain stays and applies pressure to the bottom chain run maintaining 1/2 to 3/4" of slack.

Proper sprocket alignment is also critical. The tensioner is not a chain guide. It should not be used to apply side forces to the chain to get it to engage the sprocket or to clear the frame.

Tom

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Chaz,
That is by far the best aftermarket tensioner. The design incorporates the concept I mentioned above; that being it spans, or bridges the seat and chain stay assuring that the tensioner can't be pulled into the spokes. However as with any tensioner it must be installed in such a way that the tensioner wheel aligns with the chain path. That might require a little bend or twist but make sure the wheel is centered on the chain.

There are variations to the design, some are welded to the bike frame, some held in place by clamps. Either way, if you have to use a tensioner your link is the way to go.

Tom