Help Choosing 4-Stroke 49cc Kit

GoldenMotor.com

knarrgrant

Jan 31, 2015
jacksonville, ar
Hi,
I'm looking for some advice. What is a good, reliable, tried and true, 4-stroke 49cc engine kit? This will be my primary means of transportation for a while, not ideal but it is what it is. Help would be much appreciated. Thank you. Also, what kind of speed can i expect to get? I plan on motorizing a Schwinn Point Beach cruiser.

Last edited:

Velodrome

May 27, 2011
Phoenix-ish
Of the 2 choices you provided the T belt drive is FAR superior. The bottom one has a chain reduction in a sealed box that are know to fail often and soon. I have a 4G kit on a Felt "Twin" and love it. I converted mine to belt drive for the look and its cleaner; but If you use a hub sprocket adapter ( Sportsman or Manic) youll save yourself a lot of headachs and the chain drive will be fine for general transport. I also recomend the sealed bearing conversion. Simple clean and long lasting. disposes of the oilight bushing that needs frequent oiling and mess. See it HERE: http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=37410 Just takes a steady hand with an angle grinder with the motor spinning and going SLOWLY with the metal removal ( frequent measuring with a caliper )

knarrgrant

Jan 31, 2015
jacksonville, ar
what makes these kits so much "better" and twice or more the price of other kits out there? I don't like the look of the company right off. American flags waving to show off an american made product, but in the description they say they aren't made there. There's no info on the site about them other them saying over and over how it's the best and a return to American ingenuity. Sounds like some people using manipulation to sell a product. At 400 dollar mark up from other kits out there, it can't really be worth that much more. And if it is, the question remains as to why?

I use the EZ kits & drives. They cost more but you get what you pay for.

http://ezmlebanon.blogspot.com/

http://ezmotorbike.com/

knarrgrant

Jan 31, 2015
jacksonville, ar
It looks like the only difference on the ezm's is the drive system they use. For the price,you could get a whole other kit, and that drive. I think that would be the best route. get a chance to see the difference between them

xlander

Dec 12, 2014
az
So those bearing fit the bell without trimming but the shaft needs reduction right? 15-13mm.

I had bad luck with adding washers to the clutch. I only have home depot to choose from near me so they are way too thick. When I tried I had to redline to engage the clutch. Anyone have a Mic thickness for the added washer, or the combined thickness. ... Just to get me in the ball park. Right now the stock set up will engage enough to make the rear wheel break loose while on the kickstand. Would be really nice if I didn't need to hold the breaks all the time.

I bet getting the clutch right also means easier stopping.

Thanks in advance for reply.

Velodrome

May 27, 2011
Phoenix-ish
:) Bill. yur killin me! HAhahah Yes. EZM makes GREAT stuff and the owner and dealers are available to answer questions and many are active on this forum. I've had one originally on my Twin and it was wonderfull for riding but for me ( im a special case ) initial take off was sub optimal for squirting across buizy streets. Once going ya cant beat it. Smooth and very very reliable.