3 speed jack shaft

GoldenMotor.com

alexander

Feb 25, 2009
new zealand
just a quick reply...bit in a rush...'wildemere' 10-01-2009-08.21pm talked about the dude in NZ with a 3 speed hub who had done 6000 miles with it....thats me....well long story short those hubs are good, strong.... can handle off road....the only reason i broke the first one (shimano) after 6000km was cause on a 6 hour off road epic the chain came off while under full power in first gear and locked the box and snapped the first gear pawls.... easy cruise home in 2 and 3 gear....did the same again a wee while later with the next shimano hub....totally my fault....now i have a moto cross style chain retainer added and that sorted it out for good except i had to put my spare 3 speed sturmer archer hub in and the problem with that baby is that it doesnt work with the shifter from the front derailer as good as the shimano....meaning i have to hold 1 gear in with my thumb while the shimano worked in all 3 gears with the frontderailershifter.... and the adjustment was so easy on the shimano while the SA is a pain in the bum....gottago...maby more later....have fun, AL
(PS...well that was a while ago....15000km done now)

Attachments

Last edited:

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL
Newbe, That Occ Chopper Build Is Very Cool. Do You Have A Free Wheel Sprocket On The Jackshaft With The Chain Going To The Front Pedal Crank?? You Have A Very Good Build There. Are You Aware Of The "staton" Parts For The Jack Shaft? It Looks Like You Welded Sprockets To The Shaft. I Had Looked At The Staton Parts Several Times, Did Not Understand Their Use Until Recently. Staton Parts Are Perfect For Your Jackshaft. The Threads In Your Jackshaft Bottom Bracked Would Have To Be Reamed Out To 1 3/8" For The Flanged Bearings To Slide Into The Bottom Bracket (bearings 5/8" Id X 1 3/8" Od Flanged $3.95 Ea.). Use 5/8" Keyed Shaft About 6"long. The Staton 3 Groove 5/8" Id Free Wheel Adapter $15.95 And A 3 Prong Sprocket $4. (18 Or 22 Tooth) And A Free Wheel Sprocketof Choice (16 To 22 Tooth). The Free Wheel Sprocket Runs Chain To Pedal Sprocket (you Do Not Need A Free Wheel On The Crank Now) The 3 Prong Sprocket Runs Chain To Rear Wheel Cassette. The free wheel sprocket screws onto the staton adapter and holds the 3 prong sprocket in place On The Left Side Of Jack Shaft You Install A Solid Mount For Pedal Starting Motor. If You Have A Pull Start You Can Have A Free Wheel On Left Side Of Jackshaft. Maybe A 40 To 48 Tooth On Left Side. Have Not Calculated The Ratio Yet. Am Planning On Doing The Build This Winter. Will Cut The Bottom Bracket Hub Out Of A Parts Bike And Have The Threads Trimmed Out On A Lathe For The Bearings. Will Weld Hub Somewhere Behind Seat Post. Have not been able to find pipe or steel tube with 1 3/8" id. Motor Mounts Should Not Have To Be Off-set. Hope This Helps Some New Builders. Ron .cvlt1

Last edited:

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL
Pete, That Looks Like A Good Set Up. With The Kit Prices These Days, It Is Great When You Can Use One. Thats The First Dual Sus Ht Rear Mount That I Know Of. Ron .cvlt1

camlifter

May 4, 2009
acme labs marion ohio
the fenders came from wicked carts, had to add 1.5 inch to the middle to make them fit. there also split to fit around the fork and frame and come apart with dutz fasteners. i've yet to find a bike frame they will fit without modding them. the tank i made from fiberglass.

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
First let me say fantastic workmanship cam! Very impressive detail work and a beautiful bike.

This is a big topic covering a lot of different things so I'll just weigh in on what I know.

I have built a dozen or so 2-stroke jackshafted bikes but no 4-stroke yet...
That is why I am in this topic ;-}

All my JS builds were with the bolt-on SickBikeParts Shift Kit and used the bikes gears.
3-Speed internal hubs, 7speed derailuer hubs, a couple manual NuVinci 170 bubs, and even a fully automatic NuVinci Dev KIt hub.

Though your custom version of permanently mounting a 3-speed hub to the bike frame is indeed clever it seems to be pretty time and skill intensive just to build, and even harder to service with 2 chains to me.

Granted it sucks on a single drive chain shifting system if the pedal chain breaks and you have to push it, it rocks being able to change your whole shifting system by just changing the back wheel and shifter.

My personal ride started as a JS'ed stock 48cc on a 3-speed bike.
It went to a 66cc motor, same tranny.
Then that full drive train to new NuVinci Fully Automatic CVT Dev KIt hub. It died.
Then to NuVinci 170 CVT, it was fantastic that I could keep the motor at any rpm I wanted with the hubs smooth 'no-click' throttle-like shifter, it seems like I was always shifting. That hub went another build that still runs great but be warned! I have personally seen a 50% failure rate with a powerful motor!
My ride now sports a Shimano 3-speed and I couldn't be happier.

Intrepid Wheelwoman

Oct 29, 2011
Hauraki District, New Zealand
OK cam let me be a little more precise, in pic 1 it clearly shows what Im asking. The shaft coming out of the gear box is only about 4 inches away from the drive chain that drives the wheel. Just curious as to why you didnt go to that shaft directly with the drive chain that drives the wheel. Pic 3 shows this very well also........nice fabrication and clean install.
'Coz running the hub gear at a higher speed in a countershaft position reduces the amount of torque loading on the planetary gearset.