Which engine for a beach cruiser?

GoldenMotor.com

Rust Merchant

Nov 28, 2014
Georgia
Hi, newbie here.

I have a Schwinn beach cruiser that I'd like to motorize. Never done that, but it sounds like fun.

My question is: What is a good, solid engine that will run until the end of time and not break down when I'm 24 miles out in the boonies? I keep seeing ads for Chinese-made engines, and also see comments like: "A China Doll will break your heart!"

What I'd like is reliability--I live ten miles from a town of 800, and I'd like to ride it into town when the weather's good. And get back home without hitching a ride!

Thanks,
Rust Merchant

chained

Nov 9, 2014
United States
all of the 2 strokes are china girls. that is just a term for the 66(80)cc 2 stroke motors.

theres also 4 stroke motors, which have multiple applications. theres ones that mount inside the frame, theres also ones that mount on top of the rear tire.

theres a wide variety of choices.

the best thing would be to post pics of your bike, and what your list of requirements would be.

where you gonna ride? terrain and all that
what state you live in? laws and all

things like that

Dooly

Nov 16, 2014
Arlington Tennessee
Hello RM,
From one newbie to another....... I have 1993 Schwinn cruiser six and I used a Flying Horse from BikeBerry on eBay. Same engine kit as the one from their website but cheaper and free shipping . doesn't have 6 month warranty. Only has 14 day warranty. The older Schwinns have 1" frame tubes and the Flying Horse says it's for 25mm-29mm. It was still a little larger than my frame. I added a shift kit so I didn't use the rear mounts but you can use some shims. A front mount adapter came with mine which you would probably use. I don't have a lot of miles on it yet but it runs real good and I really like it. From what I've read it's kind of hit and miss with these kits but I think I got a good one. I can tell you it's a lot of fun. Good luck..Dooly

Attachments

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
If it were me i would do a 4 stroke maybe a 7G Kit. A little more money but a lot less tempermential then 2 stroke,and a little more lowend tourq ..............Curt

WECSOG

Nov 10, 2014
North Alabama, USA
I would recommend just buying one of the cheap 2 stroke kits on ebay (Rose326 has served many of us well) and some spare parts. Not that you will need them, but you can get a spare cdi for $10 shipped, and swap it out on the road if need be. There is very little on these little engines that can't be fixed in the field, in a few minutes and with $10 (or less) worth of parts and basic hand tools. And there is literally nothing on them that cannot be fixed for well under $100 including shipping, especially considering that the entire kit is selling for as little as $120 with free shipping right now.

These engines are far more reliable and durable than its detractors claim, not to mention that a 4 stroke engine and associated parts cost several times as much as the chinagirl.

Yes, you will have to tinker with your engine and kit to get it fully rideable and reliable. But you will with a 4 stroke kit, too. Motorized bicycles are a tinkerer's hobby, not a plug and play transport source.

boxcar

Dec 18, 2014
Astoria OR
Amen WECSOG. You make a very good point.
To get the same hp , torque , and function from a 4 stroke you will be at twice the weight. And cost.
This is still a bicycle. We measure gains in ounces not pounds.
Remember , at some point you will still have to peddle the damn thing.

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
I have a Schwinn beach cruiser that I'd like to motorize.
My question is:
What is a good, solid engine that will run until the end of time and not break down when I'm 24 miles out in the boonies?
A 50cc 4-stroke pull start utility engine like a Honda 50 for things like portable generators and pumps.
Keep the oil changed and they will run all day for years on end.

The HS 142F 49cc is a good quality knock-off of the Honda 50cc with most parts compatible and what most bike kits use.

The big thing (and extra weight) is from the transfer case.

This is the unit that has your centrifugal clutch, a gear reduction, and an output chain sprocket.

I've built a few and like the Grubee 4G but the next best available is the 7G.
It's potential fault point is the bushing for clutch bell, but for $200 for the complete kit is a real bargain.

Http://gasbike.net

Direct drive is most reliable, for another $200 you can make it a shifter.
Here are a few examples of what I have built.

http://kcsbikes.com/KCsBuilds.asp?motor=4-stroke&Drive=All

Next to electric that's about as reliable and easy to maintain as you get.