Exhaust gasket on 4 stroke?

GoldenMotor.com

knightscape

Jul 29, 2013
Maine
I was just tweaking my Phantom exhaust pipe on my HS 142f and I realized that i don't have a gasket between the block and the pipe. Should I? I don't remeber if one came with the kit that I might have lost with having the pipe on and off while building. There was definitely no gasket on the stock box exhaust when I removed it. I shouldn't really need one since back pressure isn't as important on a 4 stroke as it is on a 2 stroke right? I've found some old threads mentioning gaskets on 4 strokes though so I want to be sure, whaddya say folks?

Going2Hell

Nov 22, 2013
Victor, Colorado
www.facebook.com
The gasket would not be required as long as you had a good enough fit to keep cold air from seeping in and either cracking the flange or warping a valve.

Otherwise, I did use the gasket from my old Skyhawk 2-stroke as well. I took the heat shield off of the jug and had to use the gasket as a spacer.

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
If it's not making a mess, not a problem.
The old saw about cracking a valve has not been an issue since the 40's or so when metallurgy got up to speed.
Mostly the gasket is there for noise and mess.
So if it doesn't bother you as is, it's fine.

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
You can use the high temp silicone there
This is what is used on big block chev in my motor home. as the stock gaskets don't last and start leaking after a while. Had to have a new manifold put on this spring on the way to CA and they used the Gold hi-temp silicone..........Curt

Msiert

Sep 19, 2014
Omaha NE.
I had the same question and talk to John at Phantom Bikes and he said they tried a bunch of different gaskets but they all blew out. They ended up using Utra Blk silicone and never had any further problems.

I also used the ultra bulk silicone and after 18 hours it's holding strong with no leaks. I was careful not to over tighten the manifold bolts and have tighten them up a couple of times to where now they are staying snug.

Attachments