4g clutch engages 4400 rpm?

GoldenMotor.com

worksuxxx

Jul 16, 2013
Omaha
Ok, so I pulled off the engine and 4g trans from bicycleengines.com due to very bad chatter until clutch fully engages. I put on my kit from gasbikes and had way smoother engagement. Just hooked up an rpm guage and wow! Found out clutch does not start engaging until 4400 rpm. That seems crazy. Gonna get into the clutch to grease and check over. Anybody else check engagement rpm with a gasbikes kit? It is the HS 142f with 4g (tapered shaft).

worksuxxx

Jul 16, 2013
Omaha
I don't have the bikeberry kit anymore. But will post pic of this gasbike kit clutch soon. Working on bending the exhaust pipe to fit for install. On a second note, does the stock exhaust box kill that much power from these little engines? I can't climb any hills with this setup. Current drive ratio is 20:83.1, on a 29er. Figured I would do the exhaust first to see the power difference, than check my valve adjustment. But back to the clutch, the shoes on the clutch look good, have a soft feel to them. I will post back pics soon.

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia

worksuxxx

Jul 16, 2013
Omaha
GearNut
I pulled off the engine and trans from bicycle engines.com after trying different things with the clutch. It clattered and shook my motor bad at low speeds. I tried different springs and that didn't help. I put this kit on, and smooth as one can be. I will put the bicycle engines.com kit on another bike this weekend and mess with it. Only problem I am having now is I have no torque for any type of incline. Just changed the exhaust, did not help at all. Guess I will check the valves later tonight. I am afraid though I might be running too low of gearing. I thought being close to 20.1 would have been fine, but maybe on a 26" bike. Not sure if even a 56t rear sprocket would help or not. I have calculated that my drive ratio would be like 18:75.1 on a 26" bike. Can anyone chime in on this if you are running anything close to this ratio on a 26" bike and still able to climb some hills.

worksuxxx

Jul 16, 2013
Omaha
Here is a pic of the clutch used with the gasbike.net. This kit uses the tapered shaft, which does not bother me. Like I said, it doesn't engage until 4400 rpm. But I get no shudder at all even on accel from dead stop. Although with my current gearing if I didn't pedal from a stop, a turtle would beat me for the first couple hundred feet. And to correct my post, I am running a 48t rear sprocket. Forgot I changed out wheels, and the 48t was already on this wheel. Seems to be gaining a little more power (breaking in) but pedaling on decent grade hills is required. I believe I will be trying a little larger rear sprocket for more hill climbing capability. I can afford to give up top speed because it is already too fast for me now, and I haven't gotten past 6500 rpm (28 mph). How do you guys do it, especially the 40 mph club guys. All I can think of at the higher speeds is what if something breaks or someone comes out in front of me. I think 25 mph on a Wally World bike would be my limit.

worksuxxx

Jul 16, 2013
Omaha
Update.. Put the gasbike.net tapered shaft 4g kits on two 26" beach cruisers and they run great. Plenty of power on hills without the need to pedal. Clutch engagement is smooth. Did a tapered shaft kit from gasbike.net on a 29" cruiser last week, not bad, but had to pedal on the hills. Definitely need larger sprocket in rear if doing a 29" bike. The 5/8 shaft kit from bicycleengines.com never came out good for me, even after changing the clutch out. I even tried to add washers for higher rpm engagment, did not work. I would have to say if you are looking at getting the kit from bicycleengines.com (5/8 shaft) you will not like it. See my recent post showing the cons. If you choose to get it anyways, please post here with your thoughts on it. I would be interested to see your comparison to the tapered shaft kit you got from gasbike.net.