clutch sticking when motor warms up..??

GoldenMotor.com

thine82

Nov 26, 2010
kingston ny
well it moves freely and perfect when the bike is cold.. once i run it though, the clutch does not want to disengage. i am going to tear it apart and see what maybe the problem. the motor sat for about a year before all of this occured and it has been losing power on wot for sometime before i parked it.. i have two of them so no worry i was still humming along.. any thoughts or ideas on why it works when cold but sticks when warmed up?? we will find out ..

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Would help to know what engine/clutch you have. 2 stroke or 4? Manual clutch or centrifugal? Help us help you. Give us some information to work with.

Tom

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
My first suggestion would be to try tightening the clutch cable just a little. If you have any adjustment at the handlebar lever, do that first before moving down to the engine end.
If the handlebar lever does not give you enough adjustment then move the cable stop at the clutch actuator arm inward just so there is little to no slack in the cable when in the engaged position. Don't make the cable bow string tight, just enough so there is no slack. If the actuator arm will wiggle just a little, that's good.
Let us know if that works for you.

Tom

thine82

Nov 26, 2010
kingston ny
.trk well i managed to FIX it.. i put a brand new cable on it.. which requires adjusting.. it was not frayed but maybe stretched.. i also put a new bucking bar in it. i found a good cheap replacement from the local autozone.. for not even two bucks, it is worth the change and my time so i can get to ride it. also put some grease in the bucking bar.. i adjusted the flower nut after all of that.. i would always address this problem like this every new season of spring or summer after the bike sits. <--- that is bike number one. i have a second one of which i am going to see what its problems are after putting a new tire tube in the back tire... now if i could just figure out why the first bike is still kinda slow at wot then i would be happy.. i am going to sell these two bikes real cheap.. i dont want to get tickets riding them.

Attachments

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Glad you got it fixed but I'll have to say that I'm a little skeptical about your choice of a replacement bucking bar. That stud you show is probably made of a soft material that won't hold up to the rigors imposed on it. The friction between the bucking bar and the clutch actuator cam inside the cover is surprisingly high. I think you'll experience premature wear on your bucking bar.
A better alternative would be either a cold rolled steel pin or one made from a 5/16" drill bit.
Put some miles on your fix and let us know how it works for you. Above all lubricate those parts with a good quality bearing grease.

Tom