HELP! Just built a bike and now its running hella slow after 3 days!

GoldenMotor.com

lksdG2

Sep 30, 2012
san diego
isnt there a clip somewhere that can take care of that? i like to turn off my gas when storing parked at work or on the train :-||
the clip only affects low and mid range, if its still happening and full throttle then the problem is the jet is too large or the float level is too high, both of which can be remedied in a pinch by partially closing the gas valve

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
And don't 'fix it' by adjusting the fuel flow to the carburetor with the petcock.

The petcock should be wide open and the fuel flow is controled by the float and the float needle valve. If shutting off the fuel allows the engine to run then you have an over rich condition. First take Venice's advice and check that the main jet is still in place. It if isn't, screw it back in. If it is in place and tight check the plastic float. It should 'float' in gasoline. If there is any gas inside it you'll need to replace it. The float controls a needle valve which maintains the proper level of fuel in the carburetor bowl.

Any engine will seemingly 'run better' if you temporarily starve it for fuel. You're causing a lean condition that makes the engine run a higher RPM than it normally should but continuing to run it like that is asking for premature engine failure. One reason for not controling fuel flow with the petcock.

Let us know what you find.

Tom

Kioshk

Oct 21, 2012
Connecticut
The Skyhawk kit comes with a nightmarish CNS3. Get an NT Speed carb offa EBay for $20...try it out, and get back to us.

LeTweek

Nov 16, 2012
Oregon
Your story sounds very familiar. I tried (what I thought was) everything to fix it and nothing worked until I scrapped the LD Z4JC spark plug and put in a good ol' NGK B5HS.