ignite or die

GoldenMotor.com

Jim C

Jul 11, 2010
Long Beach Calif
So I mounted the CDI coil and hooked the wires up I put the spark plug in laid it on the head and spun the motor to check for spark. There was none. When I removed the plug from the spark plug cap I got a spring, a small brass piece threaded on one with a wire clip inside it. Those are the insides of the plug cap. So what am I going to do? Replace the cap? Is that possible? Replace the wire and cap? Is that possible? Buy a whole new CDI coil? Really don't want to buy anything. Fix it? Is that possible?

Groove

Nov 2, 2012
Lexington, KY
You won't have to replace the whole cdi unit. It's pretty inexpensive to go to an auto parts store and buy a spark plug wire (look for 7mm diameter) with the boots attached. Just unscrew the old wire from the cdi and then screw in the new wire with good boot attached. You'll want to get a good spark plug such as NGK B5HS, because some of them (like the cheap stock plugs) won't snap into the boot..

Or.. to save you a lot of time.. Go to sickbikeparts and order the plug and the 7mm wire and boot all in one fell swoop. That's what I did. Works like a charm. You can thank me later Pablo.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Most new CDIs have the high voltage lead epoxied in. You'll have to carefully dig the wire out without damaging the contact which looks like the threads of a small wood screw. Use an Exacto knife with a #11 blade and you can cut around the glue joint then unscrew the wire.

Most auto parts stores today will only carry reisitance wire. It has no metal core. You can find metallic core wire at motorcycle or lawn mower repair shops. Any spark plug you buy will have a cap that will not allow use of the kit supplied spark plug boot unless you unscrew and remove that cap.
The kit boots are without a doubt the first thing you should throw in the trash when you get a kit. They are a joke. Use a good automotive quality spark plug boot that will snap onto the top cap of a plug.

Tom

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
or just strip a bit of rubber off the wire & wrap the copper wire around the top of the plug then put a nut on the plug to hold it there